Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #91
Packtramp
Junior What??
Packtramp began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Using SyncToy to duplicate libraries, but new books aren't showing up

So, I have a work laptop and my home PC that I use Calibre on. I loaded all my books on the home PC and the work laptop and use SyncToy to keep the files duplicated. My problem is that I added 4 new books on my home PC used SyncToy, came to work and used SyncToy to put them on my work laptop. The new book folders are there now as well as the metadata file, but they aren't showing up in Calibre. I used the "add books" but it made a duplicated author folder with the same problems from before?
Questions:
1) How do I point calibre to using/seeing the new folders without reloading a large library every single time?
2) Why does each books info not change when I change it in Calibre? I.e., I changed the info at home and when I synced at work and re-added the book, it was the same as originally. Shouldn't it have change when I updated the author's name the first time?
Thanks!
Packtramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #92
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Did you completely close Calibre at home before using SyncToy at work? If Calibre was still running, even minimized, then I believe the db file does NOT get copied while Calibre is open?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #93
Packtramp
Junior What??

Yea. It was closed when I synced. Well, as sure as I can be seeing that I did synced a few days ago and am just now getting around to syncing at work.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #94
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Just making sure. I will sometimes "close" Calibre which puts it into the systray and forget to go exit it there. I try to remember to do this when I go to launch SyncToy though.

Re: ? 2 - And I am still a Calibre baby, so I may be wrong, but when you add a book at home and update the metadata, that metadata is not written to the actual book file (.mobi, .epub, etc.) unless you convert the book. If you do not convert the book, then the new metadata info is in Calibre's db file. So even though SyncToy copied the book files (.mobi, .epub, cover.jpg, etc.) to your laptop, the database file didn't seem to get updated or copied which would explain why the book didn't show up in Calibre.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #95
Packtramp
Junior What??

Sounds good. Well, one sure way is to update my calibre tonight and close. I can bring my laptop home and try it and see if that is what I did wrong. I am sure, as usual, that it is user related error of some sort...Arghh!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #96
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Another possibility is to keep your Calibre library (and the calibre binaries and settings) on a USB stick or USB drive and take it with you when you move between home and work. There are various threads on thx best way to run from a USB stick.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #97
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Another possibility is to keep your Calibre library (and the calibre binaries and settings) on a USB stick or USB drive and take it with you when you move between home and work. There are various threads on thx best way to run from a USB stick.
Hey, portal calibre... nice idea. Can you run the app from the thumb drive?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #98
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hey, portal calibre... nice idea. Can you run the app from the thumb drive?

BOb
Yes - you can have everything on the thumb drive. You do not even need the app to be installed on the host machine (as long as it has the correct OS). Look for threads on Mobile Calibre for more details.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #99
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packtramp View Post
So, I have a work laptop and my home PC that I use Calibre on. I loaded all my books on the home PC and the work laptop and use SyncToy to keep the files duplicated. My problem is that I added 4 new books on my home PC used SyncToy, came to work and used SyncToy to put them on my work laptop. The new book folders are there now as well as the metadata file, but they aren't showing up in Calibre.
The problem is that you didn't sync the metadata.db file or if you thought you did sync that file it may have been locked because calibre was open. Without the metadata.db file being updated then you will never show any new books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #100
haze
haze began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
My library is on an external drive, databook... I connected the databook to the my new netbook with a usb cable. Made sure I had the newest versions of calibre on both machines. (I had spent a few hours updating the library from my old desktop this morning, then go the brainwave to use the more powerful netbook instead). This is the message I get when I try to open my library... Help please!

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseException</b>:attempt to write a readonly database
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 175, in run
OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\choose_library.py", line 90, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\choose_library.py", line 67, in perform_action
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 362, in library_moved
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 144, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 180, in initialize_dynamic
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 211, in run
DatabaseException: attempt to write a readonly database

Last edited by haze; 09-04-2010 at 06:11 PM.
haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #101
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze View Post
My library is on an external drive, databook... I connected the databook to the my new netbook with a usb cable. Made sure I had the newest versions of calibre on both machines. (I had spent a few hours updating the library from my old desktop this morning, then go the brainwave to use the more powerful netbook instead). This is the message I get when I try to open my library... Help please!

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseException</b>:attempt to write a readonly database

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\choose_library.py", line 90, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\choose_library.py", line 67, in perform_action
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 362, in library_moved
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 144, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 180, in initialize_dynamic
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 211, in run
DatabaseException: attempt to write a readonly database
Did you shutdown Calibre before removing the drive?
Or it could be an "ownership" rights issue for the drive or Calibre folders
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #102
tspin-swla
tspin-swla began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 70c
Bat file for only one instance

I have been a long-time user of both Calibre and Dropbox, but have only just recently decided to use them together, so I have been following this discussion with interest.

I like pilotbob's suggestion to make a batch file to ensure that another instance of Calibre is not currently running. I did not, however, find an example anywhere in this thread, so I tried my own. You will need to edit the paths to reflect the correct Username and path used by your operating system. Feel free to post your improvements, but this seems to work for me.

Code (this version is for Windows XP):
----------------
@Echo Off
Echo.Always start Calibre from this batch file to prevent running
Echo.multiple copies of Calibre, and corrupting the Calibre database.
Echo.
Echo.This window will disappear and cleanup temporary files when you exit Calibre.
Echo.
Echo.
Echo.
IF NOT EXIST "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Dropbox\Public\Calibre Library\_Calibre_is_inuse.txt" GoTo Calibre
ECHO.Calibre is presently in use on another PC.
Echo.
PAUSE
Goto EOF

:Calibre
ECHO.Starting Calibre...
echo @echo off > "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Dropbox\Public\Calibre Library\_Calibre_is_inuse.txt"
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe"
del "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Dropbox\Public\Calibre Library\_Calibre_is_inuse.txt"

:EOF
exit
----------------
tspin-swla is offline   Reply With Quote