Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
Amazon eating the difference

http://www.alternet.org/books/149124...n_evil_?page=6

Quote:
E-books reduce the cost of printing, binding, and paper, but royalties tend to run higher, and all other costs are largely unchanged. Publishers account for these costs when they slap a price tag on a book, so Amazon’s decision to set the price irrespective of them set off a wave of anxiety.

Amazon, hardly oblivious to these economics, chose to absorb the loss, paying publishers for the price of the equivalent printed book in order to make the deal more appealing. But Amazon has successfully established customer expectations at an impossibly low rate, and publishers worry that at some point the retailer will no longer take on losses to sustain it.

“There’s no way they can continue to sell . . . at a loss,” says Johanna Vondeling, vice president of business and development at Berrett-Koehler. “Eventually, they’re going to change their minds on this, and I think all publishers should be worried about what happens when they do. They’re going to keep that e-book price where it is. They’re going to turn around and say to the publishers, ‘Tough. All we’re going to pay you on is the split of $9.99.’”
I didn't realize amazon was paying the difference between $9.99 and the publisher's price....
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Yep. It's been worth it to them to grow the market. IMO, If Amazon hadn't been doing it, ebook prices would be a lot higher (more than agency pricing). They forced the competition to lower prices and until agency pricing, the majority of the time you could find lower prices in the Kindle store without memberships and coupons.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhume01 View Post
I didn't realize amazon was paying the difference between $9.99 and the publisher's price....
They were until eight months ago.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
They were until eight months ago.
They still are on the non-agency pricing books.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Amazon rocks!

It doesn't surprise me that they would take a loss in order to help establish an eBook market. They have always been a forward thinking company.

I have been a customer since the early days when they were just an online book store. I buy everything from them except for my groceries. Their customer service is second to none and shipping fast and free with Amazon Prime - which they have given me free of charge. I will always be a loyal Amazon customer.

I am not affiliated with Amazon in any way.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Amazon rocks!

It doesn't surprise me that they would take a loss in order to help establish an eBook market. They have always been a forward thinking company.
Yes, well. It's not exactly out of the goodness of Amazon's heart. It's in Amazon's best interest to corner the ebook market early so they can reap the profits later.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I have serious doubts about the "and all other costs are largely unchanged" statement.

What about not needing physical storage space for your inventory? What about no shipping costs? What about no waste when the product doesn't sell. No need to rip the cover off and/or ship it back.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Yes, well. It's not exactly out of the goodness of Amazon's heart. It's in Amazon's best interest to corner the ebook market early so they can reap the profits later.
Well, duh! They're not a charity or non-profit. I said they were "forward thinking" not stupid.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
The numbers I've seen suggest that Amazon was not usually taking a loss--it is said to pay 40-50% percent of the cover price on a non-agency book, which means a $9.99 book isn't a "loss" unless the cover price is over $20 or so. On the hottest titles it takes a small loss (as it often does on the hardcover version of the same book).
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
So if a publisher's costs for a book require it to be sold at $25 ... how do they account for mass market paperbacks? Or the fact that from publisher to bookstore there is usually a distributor, taking their cut, in the middle, a cost which doesn't exist when the publisher sells direct to a retailer like Amazon?

And it's not just "printing, binding, and paper"; it's shipping, warehousing, taxes (in the US, unsold books are taxed as inventory), etc. And, most important of all, it's returns, which can account for as many or more books as actual sales -- books which have to be printed, stored, shipped, taxed, and then shipped back and stored again, before they finally go to the paper recycler for pennies on the dollar. Returns, of course, don't exist with ebooks.

In short: they're lying.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
OK, I"m new to the whole e-book world, and ignorant beyond belief about publishing, but I've gotta be missing something.......

The economy in the US is "down" (more PC than "in the toilet"), real unemployment is around 17%, there are MANY other ways for people to spend their limited entertainment time and money (movies, cable, DVDs, video games, Facebook, etc)... And yet, I read the article, and in THIS environment, McMillan decides an e-book should cost $13 - $15 instead of $10? Which is ALREADY significantly higher than the paperback cost of the same book...

For a book in a format that can't be resold, can't easily be shared, has NO residual value... I can't hand it to a friend to read. I can't take it into Half Price books and get a couple dollars back on my $6 paperback.

I don't want to start a big urination festival here (I imagine this subject has been beaten to death, but I'm new here), and I'm far from being an expert on publishing, so I don't know if it's reasonable to charge $35 for a hardcover to cover the advance, editing, binding, printing, transportation, advertising, returns, and whatever all the costs are. BUT, if the same publisher can sell the same book in paperback for $5 or $6, a paperback that STILL has to be bound, printed, transported, displayed, returned, and so on, it seems bizarre to me that an e-book, which incurs NONE of these costs, should cost 2-3 TIMES as much...

What am I missing? Are the publishers, in fact, lying?
And will the marketplace make it painfully clear (in the pocketbook) that readers are NOT willing to pay higher prices for ebooks?
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The article is full of out of date facts and a "anything big is bad" attitude.

A standard practice in retailing is to discount a handful of items as "loss leaders" or "bargains" knowing most consumers will buy other things at the same time or later. Amazon was discounting a few dozen titles out of 700,000 sold at "normal" rates (and normal discounts). Five of the six largest publishers, on the other, colluded to create price fixing and, apparently, that's ok.

Amazon is not the villain in this, no matter how many times people claim it is.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The short version:

The publishers are lying like rugs.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Also missing is the notion that consumers are ultimately the deciders. If Amazon's service is so terrible, consumers will make other choices. If consumers prefer cozy local independent bookshops, that's where they will spend their money. And the claim, again, repeated without context (or proof), that Amazon is using predatory pricing -- selling below cost to drive competitors out of business -- is galling.

Also the notion that $9.99 for ebooks was a price Amazon created "without consulting publishers" is simply bizarre: a free market is supposed to be about choice, not price fixing by suppliers. If consumers prefer to pay $24.95 for a physical book at their indie bookshop vs. $9.99 for an ebook, let them. I am certain that over time the Agency Five will figure out that $14.99 for an e-book won't make them the same profits as a $9.99 best-seller. Funny thing about the free market: the consumer is driving the outcome.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote