Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Is there a benefit to add Epub if using .mobi?

In my family, we have 4 Kindles and one Nook. There will be an additional Nook plus an Ipad in the next 6 months. Is there any advantage for me to choose Epub to install into Calibre vs Mobi? I seem to recall reading that there was an order of preference. I prefer to use my Nook because that Trebachet (sp?) is easier for me to read than the standard fonts for either Nook or Kindle. So, what do you think? Does it matter?

Last edited by Tarana; 10-16-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
In my family, we have 4 Kindles and one Nook. There will be an additional Nook plus an Ipad in the next 6 months. Is there any advantage for me to choose Epub to install into Calibre vs Mobi? I seem to recall reading that there was an order of preference. I prefer to use my Nook because that Trebachet (sp?) is easier for me to read than the standard fonts for either Nook or Kindle. So, what do you think? Does it matter?
EPUB is a superset format.
It supports things that Mobi does not.
Calibre can't put in what is not there, but it can down convert
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I always keep whichever was the original format that I got the file in. In this way I never risk losing formatting information and it's always as good as it can be on devices that support the source format.

If you are choosing which format to buy it in in the first place, in general epub is better, as theducks said, but that's still not a guarantee.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote