Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
FB2 and EPUB questions?

Hi,

I'm using snapshot 20091001 on my BeBook and I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with.

1: I keep trying to open a couple of FB2 files of 1.4mb and 1.5mb respectively and instead of loading the screen just flashes a couple of times and then goes back to the folder with those two files listed in it. The files work fine when displayed on my computer. Is there an upper usuable limit on the FB2 file format?

2: On all my epub files the indent that is supposed to be at the start of the first line of each paragraph is not being displayed. I have the "first line indent" thing marked to 20. When I display the files on my computer the indents are there. They are just gone when I put them on the BeBook. The indents are displayed in FB2 files and that is why I'm trying to read the above mentioned books in that format.

Any help? Suggestions? etc?

Cheers,
PKFFW
P.S: I used Calibre to convert the FB2 and epub files and it seems to have worked fine. Not sure if that is relevant but thought I'd add it just in case.
P.P.S Other FB2 files I've converted using Calibre are displaying fine but they are all under 1mb.

Last edited by PKFFW; 10-16-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Calibre does not produce good FB2 files - I've examined a few manually and there is markup that just doesn't make sense. Lumps of text not surrounded by <p></p> where the context clearly indicates that it is part of a paragraph is just one example. To be fair FB2 is a new format for Calibre and it probably needs a bit of work.

As far as size goes I don't think it is a "format" issue as such. Using stock Hanlin software with Coolreadre as the FB2 parser I have some large FB2s that bomb out and others, larger, that display o.k (albeit very slow to respond). I think, though, that it's fair to say that FB2 is not ideal for large files.

BobC
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply BobC.

Do you have any ideas about the epub files not displaying the first line paragraph indent? If I can get that working I could use epub and all would be well. It just jars me so much not having that indent.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 10-20-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
PKFFW
Wizard

Just wondering if anyone else using OI has the same problem with epub files not having an indent at the start of each paragraph? Is this something I should open a ticket for or am I the only one experiencing this problem?

I'd much appreciate anyone using any snapshot from October testing an epub file for me and letting me know if they have the same problem.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 10-20-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Just wondering if anyone else using OI has the same problem with epub files not having an indent at the start of each paragraph? Is this something I should open a ticket for or am I the only one experiencing this problem?

I'd much appreciate anyone using any snapshot from October testing an epub file for me and letting me know if they have the same problem.

Cheers,
PKFFW

FWIW, the paragraph start indent works fine for me with EPUB on OpenInkpot. I produce my EPUB books from the HTML output of Book Designer using Sigl the EPUB Editior.
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
PKFFW
Wizard

Thanks Dave.

Epub worked fine for me with the May snapshot but since loading up the October snapshot it doesn't.

Guess I'll just have to keep playing around with it.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 10-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Dave.

Epub worked fine for me with the May snapshot but since loading up the October snapshot it doesn't.
Sorry that I forgot to mention, I am currently using the 18 October 2009 snapshot. I have not noticed if CoolReader is back in this snapshot or not, because I always read with FBReader.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Sorry that I forgot to mention, I am currently using the 18 October 2009 snapshot. I have not noticed if CoolReader is back in this snapshot or not, because I always read with FBReader.
I thought I'd try flashing to the latest firmware next. Hopefully that resolves the issue. I'd really like to read those two books!

Also, this might be a dumb question, but where can I find exactly which formats OI supports? I can't seem to find a complete list anywhere.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 10-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
where can I find exactly which formats OI supports? I can't seem to find a complete list anywhere.
Just guessing, but I assume that as far a book formats go, it is all the formats that FBReader supports plus PDF?
http://www.fbreader.org/about.php

I have never tried to use anything but FB2 and EPUB.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I assume that as far a book formats go, it is all the formats that FBReader supports plus PDF?
Yes, at least I did briefly check almost all the FBReader formats with an earlier version of OpenInkPot, see File Navigation: Hanlin V3 vs OpenInkPot.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
PKFFW
Wizard

Just thought I'd update in case anyone has the same problem.......

When using Calibre to convert the file I have now ticked the box that says "remove spacing between paragraphs" and am also using "Default output profile" rather than the profile for the Hanlin V3. This has solved the problem.

Don't know why I didn't need to do that before and do now but at least the problem is solved.

Cheers,
PKFFW