Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 AM   #31
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Moejoe, the champion of creativity, who never tires of warning us about the evils of the pursuit of money, is telling us to use a Google product (Chrome OS)? A product from the company that sucks out all our personal data and exploits it with nothing but profits and the destruction of the competition in mind? The company that represents the worst of capitalism and loss of privacy today?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:04 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Also, dedicated e-readers don't have to boot up, which is a major plus in my view.
Some do, some don't. However, even the ones that do (eg the iRex devices) boot a heck of a lot faster than a Tablet PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Killing off? No, I don't think so. There will always be people that want a dedicated device with a long battery duration that isn't difficult to use. And it's much easier to use a dedicated device than a generic device that runs several applications.

But netbooks and UMPC's will become more and more in use by electronic readers (aka, people that read electronic books). I also think e-ink (or similar techniques) will become more wide-spread and not only in dedicated devices.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #34
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Moejoe, the champion of creativity, who never tires of warning us about the evils of the pursuit of money, is telling us to use a Google product (Chrome OS)? A product from the company that sucks out all our personal data and exploits it with nothing but profits and the destruction of the competition in mind? The company that represents the worst of capitalism and loss of privacy today?
Loss of privacy? You're making a joke, surely? You actually think we can keep anything private in the digital age...really, you're joking right, either that or deluded? And I'm not 'telling you to use' anything, but I am excited about Chrome OS, which will, despite your protestations, bring some competition to MS and Apple in the OS arena (I already use MS, Apple and Linux on that front I'm agnostic). If you're not excited about Google Chrome OS and Wave then I'd highly doubt you'd be excited by anything in the tech world.

Nice comparison though, might convince some stupid people into thinking that you actually have an argument by equating my interest in Google Chrome OS with my idealism in the face of traditional publishing. Interest in Google Chrome OS != advocation of pure capitalism.

Better luck next time

Last edited by Moejoe; 07-13-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only one problem with Chrome OS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/09/te...pple.html?_r=1

I do applaud any new OS, as long as it's easy to use and will get driver support. Which is the main reason I've never moved to Linux.
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #36
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Only one problem with Chrome OS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/09/te...pple.html?_r=1

I do applaud any new OS, as long as it's easy to use and will get driver support. Which is the main reason I've never moved to Linux.
I think that's why Google introduced it a year before release, so they could catch any of this legal stuff early on. I've no doubt we're going to see an MS/Apple killer coming along very soon...especially if Chrome OS goes the way of the recent instant-on linux bios systems.

As to drivers, I've always found Linux has a lot more driver support generally speaking than any other Operating System. That is to say, out of the box, on a fresh install, my experiences with Linux have been better than Windows (except Windows 7 which is pretty damn good).
Old 07-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #37
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Loss of privacy? You're making a joke, surely? You actually think we can keep anything private in the digital age...really, you're joking right, either that or deluded? And I'm not 'telling you to use' anything, but I am excited about Chrome OS, which will, despite your protestations, bring some competition to MS and Apple in the OS arena (I already use MS, Apple and Linux on that front I'm agnostic). If you're not excited about Google Chrome OS and Wave then I'd highly doubt you'd be excited by anything in the tech world.

Nice comparison though, might convince some stupid people into thinking that you actually have an argument by equating my interest in Google Chrome OS with my idealism in the face of traditional publishing. Interest in Google Chrome OS != advocation of pure capitalism.

Better luck next time
I was joking about everything except Google's motives. They are dangerous, with the thoroughness with which they analyze and store everything about each of us forever. And they are going much too far with Street View. Yes, that may be the wave of the future. I did not think that you stand for advocacy of pure capitalism, that is exactly why I was surprised that you were excited about the company that most represents unbridled capitalism in our time. Seems so much at odds with your previous comments. Google chrome was just announced and I haven't seen it, so I have no comment on it. Google's browser and Android leave me rather unimpressed. Obviously my attempt at a humorous presentation got lost somewhere. Well, I am no writer, and English isn't my first language. So please, lighten up!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #38
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I was joking about everything except Google's motives. They are dangerous, with the thoroughness with which they analyze and store everything about each of us forever. And they are going much too far with Street View. Yes, that may be the wave of the future. I did not think that you stand for advocacy of pure capitalism, that is exactly why I was surprised that you were excited about the company that most represents unbridled capitalism in our time. Seems so much at odds with your previous comments. Google chrome was just announced and I haven't seen it, so I have no comment on it. Google's browser and Android leave me rather unimpressed. Obviously my attempt at a humorous presentation got lost somewhere. Well, I am no writer, and English isn't my first language. So please, lighten up!
I apologise. Sarcasm and humour don't travel well on the web, I fear ; I mistook your intentions.)

As to Google, yes, you're right, I do have concerns over their business (especially their dealings with China) but I have to balance that with what they offer and a level of pragmatism. They open source their product, they offer a product with minimal interruption to me and maximum benefit, and for free. Okay, I give up my privacy in the deal, but I don't know what I could do to be private anyway? TOR? Freenet? VPN's? Our social exposure is almost required to partake in the web nowadays. Do I completely ignore the good Google do because of the concerns over privacy or do I use their services and hope that their better intentions will outweigh their profit motif?

They're hard ethical questions to answer, not as easy as when it comes to my own creativity and the realtionship that has to profit. Questions I might change my mind on at any moment, dependent on what Google does.

So, to cut it short, sorry again for mistaking what you said and apologies if my reaction seemed harsh
Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #39
HansTWN
Wizard

No harm done! . Well, what I do is use Google as little as possible. Of course, the others do similar things, but no other company is as thorough and going as far as they are -- that is how I see it. The reason they are so successful.

Well, not much of me is on the web yet, I googled myself and only found a small article in the NY times, of all things. So you can still have some privacy, after all we are all semi anonymous on forums, etc. IP addresses do not define us yet, fortunately.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #40
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm, if I google myself... Can't find a thing about me... There are a few people that have the same name (including a writer) that are on facebook and twitter... the first page that shows the actual me is page 4, with a link to classmates.com...

But then, I hardly ever use my real name anywhere. Even if I have to give a "real name", I often use my Sweetpea name
Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #41
Moejoe
Banned

If I google myself I get Feedbooks and Mobileread Luckily my name is common as muck (I actually know two other people with my name, same initials too, where I live )

Last edited by Moejoe; 07-13-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #42
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Nothing comes up when I google myself... At least none that actually pertains to me.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #43
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
What does googling for oneself have to do with netbooks vs. ebook reader?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #44
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
What does googling for oneself have to do with netbooks vs. ebook reader?
this is mobileread so everything. we have moved past the limit of your "topics" based forum.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #45
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahammer View Post
this is mobileread so everything. we have moved past the limit of your "topics" based forum.
Althought the Off Topic thread seems to be pretty much all the time on topic!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote