Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-16-2016, 11:41 PM   #1
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur
Mr.Samuel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3, kindle oasis 2
Kindle can't start after entering DIAG mode

My Kindle can't start after press "fastboot bundle install" in DIAG mode, and can't start even press the power key in 30 seconds
Mr.Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 AM   #2
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

By the way, how to change the Kindle's MAC address?
Advert
Old 05-17-2016, 03:03 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What device?
What firmware version?

What do you mean by "Can't start"?

What are you trying to achieve?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:05 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no legitimate reason for wanting to change the MAC address of a Kindle other than to try to defeat blacklisting. Our forum policies prohibit providing such assistance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #5
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

My device is Kindle PaperWhite 2 with 5.4.5.1 firmware
I installed the Coward's rescue pack and entered the diag mode.
After that, I pressed the "MISC individual test -> fastboot bundle install " by mistake.
Then the device showed the "Amazon Kindle "logo and" DIAGS EXIT " information, I think the Kindle entered fastboot mode.
I just find out how to exit the fastboot mode of Kindle PaperWhite 2.
Advert
Old 05-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Samuel View Post
My device is Kindle PaperWhite 2 with 5.4.5.1 firmware
I installed the Coward's rescue pack and entered the diag mode.
After that, I pressed the "MISC individual test -> fastboot bundle install " by mistake.
Then the device showed the "Amazon Kindle "logo and" DIAGS EXIT " information, I think the Kindle entered fastboot mode.
I just find out how to exit the fastboot mode of Kindle PaperWhite 2.
You need to set the idme bootmode var back to main. You set it to fastboot mode, so you must use the fastboot tool to make that change. Until said change, it will boot to fastboot mode.

EDIT: Or use MfgTool (Select Boot thread) or a similar tool to temporarily boot to another mode where you can more easily change the idme bootmode var.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-17-2016 at 10:47 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is no legitimate reason for wanting to change the MAC address of a Kindle other than to try to defeat blacklisting. Our forum policies prohibit providing such assistance.
Blacklisting relies on the device serial number, not the MAC address.

It should be identical to the way you spoof your MAC address on any standard desktop operating system (the Kindles run linux under the hood):
http://www.howtogeek.com/192173/how-...linux-and-mac/

It isn't particularly useful unless you are afraid you are being tracked via your MAC address.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You need to set the idme bootmode var back to main. You set it to fastboot mode, so you must use the fastboot tool to make that change. Until said change, it will boot to fastboot mode.

EDIT: Or use MfgTool (Select Boot thread) or a similar tool to temporarily boot to another mode where you can more easily change the idme bootmode var.
I connected the Kindle in fastboot mode on a computer running Windows, but the computer recognized it as an Android device, and the Mfgtool can't work. So I'll try to exit the fastboot on a Linux virtual machine.

Can Yifanlu's "Fastboot-Kindle" tool work with Kindle paperwhite 2?

Last edited by Mr.Samuel; 05-17-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - -
I'll try to exit the fastboot on a Linux virtual machine.
- - -
We have a name for that here, KUBRICK (which is a LiveCD, not a VM image).

The grayscale Kindle's fastboot should be one of the included utilities.

You don't want to run the Wizard (it doesn't support the PW-2) -
Just escape to the command line instead.

And
We have a thread here about un-bricking a Kindle using fastboot -
So you should find references there on where to get the **correct** fastboot.

Last edited by knc1; 05-17-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #10
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

And
Where can I find the thread?
Old 05-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Where can I find the thread?
4th sticky down from the top of the page.
At least until someone makes another post in the sticky section.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:07 AM   #12
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
We have a name for that here, KUBRICK (which is a LiveCD, not a VM image).

The grayscale Kindle's fastboot should be one of the included utilities.

You don't want to run the Wizard (it doesn't support the PW-2) -
Just escape to the command line instead.

And
I have used the KUBRICK LiveCD, and what command should I use to change the fastboot mode to MAIN?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

fastboot --help ??

and/or

read the 'de-bricking with fastboot' thread which you where told to look at - which includes a list of the fastboot commands.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:05 AM   #14
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

Thanks, I have successfully exited the fastboot mode on Linux .
By the way, how to operate in diag mode on a computer without serial port?
Old 05-21-2016, 05:01 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
By the way, how to operate in diag mode on a computer without serial port?
You can't. If your computer doesn't have a serial port (and virtually none do these days), you'll need to get a USB serial port adapter.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote