Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #466
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Thank you very much! Very helpful and informative.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #467
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
It came by post from Toronto to California in 4 days. Here are some impressions:
1. It seems superior (to me, at least) to the Kindle Paperwhite, which I also have. Not only better resolution, but more uniform lighting. The size seems better for reading, and while it's slightly heavier, it's no harder to hold.
2. The only thing I don't like so far is that it tends to leave too much blank space at the bottom of pages. Perhaps when Calibre adds the device and one can send a book in kepub format, that will help.
3. It is possible to use the browser to access and download Calibre books through Calibre's content server.
4. It does give the option to use the original font that Calibre embedded.
5. For Calibre epubs, you can adjust the margins, the font and the font size, but not the space between lines. If Calibre generates a file with indented paragraphs, that's how it will appear in the Aura. If the file is justified in Calibre, that cannot be changed on the Aura.
6. One review said the Aura takes 10 seconds to wake up. Must be older firmware, because mine wakes up in a half second or so.
If changes are made by editing the CSS, and not through Calibre, i.e. text justification, such changes will appear, correct?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #468
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
2. The only thing I don't like so far is that it tends to leave too much blank space at the bottom of pages.
I think this is a font issue. It had been fixed and then something in 2.5 firmware seems to have broken it again. I am as sure as I can be that this is a high priority issue for Kobo (along with suddenly weird dictionaries). Try Amasis and see if your bottom margins are better. With my Glo, the absolute worst was Kobo Nickel.

Last edited by taming; 04-23-2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: problem with quote
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #469
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
A "solution" that would require me to remove my thumb from the bezel in a shaking, speeding, crowded vehicle and touch the screen for every page turn instead of holding it securely and just using a small rock of my thumb to change the page. Sounds inferior in every way to my page turn buttons. However, I can understand how an inelegant, second-rate solution would seem only natural to Kobo users.
I was unsure about that as well, I use the buttons on my 650 and hang my left thumb on the bezel slightly overhanging the screen on the Glo, a slight rock or shift of the thumb turns the page. Using these as my 2 main readers at the moment (650 at work and Glo at home) with the Pyrus Mini for walking about - Or reading Pratchett books with lots of footnotes, touch screens are bloody useless for that many footnotes.

The page turners I like most are the slide switch on the left of the Jetbook or the edge buttons on the Bookbox & Pyrus Mini (Although I'll admit the edge buttons only work with a narrow screen).

I can see why Ken clings to his Jetbook with a firm deathgrip, If they made a new one with a decent eInk screen and a better processor I'd get one in a shot the final firmware update made it a very nice device.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #470
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
This one thread is like a "best of Mobileread" (and worst too). I believe it has included pretty much every topic of contention from the last several years of Mobileread.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #471
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
As for me, this is really making me want another reader. But I just bought a [insert device-name here] several months ago, so I don't need a new reader. But I want one!
HAHA, welcome to my world

Last edited by miquele; 04-23-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Typo
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #472
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
However, I can understand how an inelegant, second-rate solution would seem only natural to Kobo users.
That seems unnecessarily rude considering that Kindles (and others) also have no page turning buttons. I believe your T1 was released in October 2011. I hope you continue to enjoy it as finding a current reader without a touch screen is fairly difficult.

My husband is also not a Touch fan. He still reads on a Kobo WiFi.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #473
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
A "solution" that would require me to remove my thumb from the bezel in a shaking, speeding, crowded vehicle and touch the screen for every page turn instead of holding it securely and just using a small rock of my thumb to change the page. Sounds inferior in every way to my page turn buttons. However, I can understand how an inelegant, second-rate solution would seem only natural to Kobo users.
Touch only is not a second rate solution. In fact, I think it's better then buttons. Buttons are second-rate. Buttons can wear out before the touch screen stops working.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #474
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
That seems unnecessarily rude considering that Kindles (and others) also have no page turning buttons. I believe your T1 was released in October 2011. I hope you continue to enjoy it as finding a current reader without a touch screen is fairly difficult.
Just had to laugh....I seldom use the page turn buttons on my T1 because it usually advances more than one page at a time. I do like the menu and home buttons, though.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #475
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Just got my Aura HD in the UK from WH Smiths web site.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #476
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I'm excited about this new Aura reader but I'm waiting to buy one on a local bookstore. Here in the US Kobo is the wholesaler for ebooks you buy through small local bookstores. The little independent places support readers in ways the giants do not. While no doubt they make money by selling through bookstores I still think it is an important thing Kobo does.

If you live in the US you can find member bookstores here:

http://www.indiebound.org/indie-store-finder

There is a link to Indiebound in the UK here:

http://www.indiebound.org.uk/

Last edited by 6charlong; 04-23-2013 at 01:01 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #477
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
The page turners I like most are the slide switch on the left of the Jetbook or the edge buttons on the Bookbox & Pyrus Mini (Although I'll admit the edge buttons only work with a narrow screen).

I can see why Ken clings to his Jetbook with a firm deathgrip, If they made a new one with a decent eInk screen and a better processor I'd get one in a shot the final firmware update made it a very nice device.
"From My Cold Dead Hands!"

But I do have a Kobo Aura HD on order. I will have both for awhile at least
and I suspect that the jetBook Lite would be the last to go.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #478
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Just got my Aura HD in the UK from WH Smiths web site.
When you say you got it, do you mean it has arrived or that you've ordered it?

I ordered it from them several days back and my order status is still only confirmed and that they are awaiting stock.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #479
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
When you say you got it, do you mean it has arrived or that you've ordered it?

I ordered it from them several days back and my order status is still only confirmed and that they are awaiting stock.
Got it in my hands reading on it right now, it arrived this morning after I got a dispatch email on Thursday.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #480
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
... so, despite my chat with Kobo CS yesterday, and despite them telling me that my order was "in progress" and thus not yet shipped, it has - in fact - arrived.

I also got the "shipped" email. 30 minutes ago. Just about the same time the packaged showed up.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote