Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #211
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
I haven't looked yet but I'm sure you guys are right. I don't even remember being prompted for language during setup on #2, I was probably in a hurry to see the color blob level. Thanks.

I have another order in the system for SO (placed 9/25, before I received the first one), but after seeing what I've gone through so far, he's considering having me cancel it and just order him a lighted case for his KK. He's going to test-run my original PW and see if the color blobs bug him.

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-09-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #212
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I haven't looked yet but I'm sure you guys are right. I don't even remember being prompted for language during setup, I was probably in a hurry to see the color blob level.

I have another order in the system for SO (placed 9/25, before I received the first one), but after seeing what I've gone through so far, he's considering having me cancel it and just order him a lighted case for his KK. He's going to test-run my original PW and see if the color blobs bug him.
I think it was one of the first screens and as I call it defaulted to UK English, so it might have been easy to accidentally choose it.
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #213
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Jack, are you keeping your replacement PW?

I turned mine on tonight to find the pink blotch in the bottom left corner is now gone. Nuts. This is the strangest device I have ever had.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #214
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If I were to rate my replacement right now I would give it no more than 3-1/2 stars. In other words it is okay, but nothing to get excited about. Part of the higher rating is because I like the newer FW and features and better touch response. The screen alone I would rate no higher than 3 stars, and that is supposed to be its big selling point.

I saw one of the Paperwhite commercials on TV last night and really watched it carefully. Of course the screen was turned up to level 24 in every shot! But one time when they showed an angled view from the side I could the blue hue and center shadow, though only for a fraction of a second. I definitely would not have noticed that if not for our bad experiences.
I think I watched the same commercial, but all I saw was white white white, and very black text... absolutely no light cones. It actually made me mad that they are still deceiving customers. At this point, seeing how their unrealistic product description is creating expectations they could not meet even without all the other issues we are experiencing, they should come clean and show customers real product pictures and videos.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #215
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I think I watched the same commercial, but all I saw was white white white, and very black text... absolutely no light cones. It actually made me mad that they are still deceiving customers. At this point, seeing how their unrealistic product description is creating expectations they could not meet even without all the other issues we are experiencing, they should come clean and show customers real product pictures and videos.
Xendula, what happened with your replacements? Did you ever get any confirmation?
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #216
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Jack, are you keeping your replacement PW?

I turned mine on tonight to find the pink blotch in the bottom left corner is now gone. Nuts. This is the strangest device I have ever had.
I'm definitely not going to ask for another replacement. After NCIS is over I'll check mine again. The last time I looked it had improved somewhat. Gremlins in the works if you ask me!

I'll hang onto it for a couple weeks since I've got most of the 30 days left. If it doesn't seem stable or gets worse and stays that way I'll return it.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #217
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm definitely not going to ask for another replacement. After NCIS is over I'll check mine again. The last time I looked it had improved somewhat. Gremlins in the works if you ask me!
My Kindle is the only thing that will get me sorta watching TV with commercials - I read through 'em. Otherwise ZIIIIIP with the remote on the DVR.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #218
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Guys, I was wondering... I've been thinking about this since I received my first Paperwhite. Unfortunately, I did not receive my replacement today as planned. (terrible inconvenience because I have to be in the apartment to get a package and Tuesday is the only day of the week I don't have class at the time the UPS guy comes...but, that's neither here nor there. /tangent)

How did you receive your Paperwhite (and when, for reference)? Was the black PW box in another box, or did you just receive the black box with a UPS label slapped on? Curious to see what others' experiences were.
The original one was just the product box by itself (a bit weird), the replacements were both together in one regular cardboard box. All delivered by Fedex.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #219
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
This is well done and true. I didn't understand that the blueish tint and cold lighting was wrong until my replacement showed up. I only did the replacement because I had a few spots outside of the reading area where the lighting showed through. With the drastic differences I have to wonder if the first batch were from an inferior manufacturing process or supplier. Either way.. my new kindle has a much mor
setite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #220
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Xendula, what happened with your replacements? Did you ever get any confirmation?
I never got confirmation for the second one, so called them back today and talked to three different reps (10 reps so far only for these replacements this time around), because they keep dropping my calls and I have to call back. I know it's on their end because no other calls ever get cut off, only theirs. (I always ask the to please call me back if we get interrupted, but of course they never do call back.)
The third one said she'll send one tomorrow, but not 3G. I told her that I don't care for the 3G since I never paid for it, but that it was promised to me by two different amazon employees and that they look bad, having me talk to now the 10th rep for something that should take one single phone call, and the fact that all these calls occured because the WiFi SO was presumably not available this week. Whatever, they placed an order for a WiFi SO, you know, the type that 7 reps told me yesterday that I could not get before 10/16, which is why I was upgraded to the 3G in the first place. I came to the conclusion that they are instructed to lie to customers.

So, tomorrow, I am supposed to receive two new units-confirmed by email and by UPS mychoice. After the last replacements, I am not even optimistic about what will be in the box, but we'll see. If they are broken, I may just have to admit defeat. Too bad, I really liked the interface and on-device access to the cloud. I got so mad today, I finally uploaded a picture of the one that doesn't turn on to amazon.com and left them a 1 star review.

The sad thing is, a week ago, I would never had said one bad thing about Amazon customer service, because there was absolutely nothing bad to say.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #221
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I received my replacement today and I'm not happy with it. Take a look. The one on the right is the original PW and the one on the left is my replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).JPG
Views:	256
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	93790  
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #222
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwarbles View Post
I'm sad both of mine have issues, but I can't call it a failure. It's still a nice reader which I will be able to use. I was perhaps expecting too much due to Amazon's touting of pure paper white evenly lit screen. My 2 just aren't like that...and it frustrates me that they both have different brightness on the screen with the same settings.
The two that do turn on do the same thing: at the exact same setting, one is brighter than the other.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #223
xendula
eBookworm

Techiegirl, this sucks. I am assuming that's at the exact same light setting? What are you going to do?!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #224
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Techiegirl, this sucks. I am assuming that's at the exact same light setting? What are you going to do?!
They are both at the exact setting (24). I am definitely going to return the replacement. I'm tempted to return both and go back to my K4B with a clip light.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #225
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Mine was shipped only in the black box as well. I wonder if that's possibly causing them to get damaged in some way? Most electronics are shipped with more padding/protection. I would have expected the black box to be placed in a cardboard box and surrounded by those plastic air cushion things.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one that got a UPS label directly on the box and sent to me!
I doubt it, the one that did not even turn on came with a box around it.