Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Fire for document creation and editing?

Does anyone have any idea, perhaps based on using the similar sized nook, what the Kindle Fire (are well calling it the KF yet?) might be like for document editing?

I'm really leaning toward the possible 10" Kindle or *shudder* an iPad 2/3 just because the larger size should make document editing much easier. But, now that I think about it, if the KF is useable for light editing, then it could fulfill roles as an ebook reader, game system, and tablet for me.

Also, has anyone seen anything about how well TTS and audiobooks sound on the Fire?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I think the best you can hope for with the KF is a Notes app. Who knows, though, there may be a Documents to Go Android Version.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
I do a lot of editing, and I tried to do it on the iPad, but without a mouse it was too much hassle trying select phrases or blocks of text, or to put your cursor in the middle of a word to change a letter. Some of that was solved by using a bluetooth keyboard (to give me access to arrow keys), but it was still slower and more painful going than just sitting at my desktop.

The best tablet solution I found for editing was the Toshiba Thrive*, which has a USB port. I'd connect my bluetooth keyboard, plug in my USB mouse, and away I went.

(But then I was frustrated with not being able to use the same software on the tablet that I use on my desktop--or at least sync my documents easily between the two different programs--so I replaced the Thrive with a MacBook Air, and gave up on tablet editing till the tablet OSes and desktop OSes finally merge into each other.)

(This was the 10" Thrive. I see they announced a 7" model today. I don't know if the 7" model is going to have the same full-size USB input as the 10".)
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I agree with @hgwlackey that doing a lot of editing via a tablet is a hassle. I tried it on my iPad and on a rooted NookColor, but it is a painfully slow process without a physical keyboard and mouse.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't think there is text-to-speech on the Fire. The Android app doesn't have it, and it isn't mentioned on the product page. Audible probably has an app for the Fire, since Amazon owns it.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I think the best you can hope for with the KF is a Notes app. Who knows, though, there may be a Documents to Go Android Version.
Yes, there is a docs to go app for Android. I've used it on my phone. It's okay, but I was hoping for something more like Pages for the iPad or even Word for Windows Mobile, which really wasn't bad at all.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
carld
Wizard

I thought QuickOffice PRO HD would be good enough, but it needs Honeycomb.

Edit: It looks like the regular Quickoffice Pro would work well on the Kindle Fire.

Last edited by carld; 09-29-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i use a small usb keyboard to do editing on my kyros. they're both small enough that it's no hassle to carry them around.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i use a small usb keyboard to do editing on my kyros. they're both small enough that it's no hassle to carry them around.
You won't be able to do that on the Fire though - it has no USB host capability. I don't think it even has Bluetooth, so you can't use a BT keyboard, either.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I don't think there is text-to-speech on the Fire. The Android app doesn't have it, and it isn't mentioned on the product page. Audible probably has an app for the Fire, since Amazon owns it.
I didn't even realize that my Android phone apparently can't do TTS. I sort of just assumed it was built into the Kindle App.

Also, I guess my main editing scenario would be that I know I'm going to be away from home for a few hours, so I DL whatever I'm working from Dropbox to the KF, do some reviewing and editing while I'm away, and UL it to Dropbox when I get back home. I'd only be working in plain text files with little to no formatting, graphics or layout needed.

Last edited by carld; 10-04-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Tablets are not meant for content creation - they are meant to consume content.

I had trouble with such a simple task as creating a blog post even with iPad paired with a keyboard dock.

The only tablet I was able to use to effective create content is Samsung Windows 8 prototype which is essentially a Windows desktop in tablet form factor, albeit with 3 hour battery life...

But Android or iOS tablets aren't good for anything more than slapping a few sentences together in a note.

...Just my opinion.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Unfortunately Fire has no expansion capability so you can't use a Bluetooth keyboard, and there's no microphone either (unless the audio jack supports audio in). So all the input has to go through a virtual keyboard. That's not going to make for a very pleasant content creation experience.

Some folks have been told Fire will have TTS but I'm skeptical. I hope at least they'll make Kindle 4 Android (I assume Fire reader is based on the same code base) TTS aware, and at least let you purchase and install a TTS engine on Fire if you want one (Amazon App Store sells SVOX, which is pretty good and only $4 per voice).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote