Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #226
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8HW View Post
My Nexus 7 was on Lollipop 5.1.1 and the performance was totally unacceptable. The slow downs and black screens were exasperating. I flashed it back to KitKat and now my tablet is running as good as when it came out of the box!

I don't know if the problem with the Nexus is hardware related or not. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab that is running Lollipop and the speed is incredible. So now I have the best of both worlds?
I'm reasonably convinced it is hardware related. Old uProcessor. By the way, how difficult is it to go back to KitKat? Maybe I will try it...
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #227
K8HW
Connoisseur
K8HW began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A03s, Galaxy Tab A, Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen), Nexus 7
Thumbs up The fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
I'm reasonably convinced it is hardware related. Old uProcessor. By the way, how difficult is it to go back to KitKat? Maybe I will try it...
I was really scared to mess with my Nexus, but, I didn't want to keep Lollipop on it. I found a post on googlenexusforum.com that had an excellent explanation on the procedure. I finally got up enough nerve to try it and I must say it actually quit painless, fast and fun! BTW, I bought my Galaxy before I tried this fix. I kind of wish I had tried the fix first!

On googlenexusforum.com go to Nexus 7 Forum then Nexus 7 Help then search for the post "How To Restore N7 2012 Back to KitKat and Functionality with No More Lollipop." The post is by member thenrik.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by K8HW; 09-15-2015 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added info
K8HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #228
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't think it's hardware related. I have both a 2012 and a 2013 Nexus 7, and both have had no trouble since upgrading to Lollipop. Both have been upgraded as each Lollipop update has been released. I cannot stress how crucial it is to wipe/format the cache partition after an update.

I'm not suggesting people aren't experiencing issues; I just don't think they're hardware related.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #229
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't think it's hardware related. I have both a 2012 and a 2013 Nexus 7, and both have had no trouble since upgrading to Lollipop. Both have been upgraded as each Lollipop update has been released. I cannot stress how crucial it is to wipe/format the cache partition after an update.

I'm not suggesting people aren't experiencing issues; I just don't think they're hardware related.
The hardware issue is not a defect, it's just the available performance (based on clock rate, internal processor cache memory, etc.) of the uProcessor used. As time passes, uP's improve and the software and OS upgrades take advantage of that, which unfortunately leaves older devices in the dust...
Old 09-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #230
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The hardware issue is not a defect, it's just the available performance (based on clock rate, internal processor cache memory, etc.) of the uProcessor used. As time passes, uP's improve and the software and OS upgrades take advantage of that, which unfortunately leaves older devices in the dust...
Well sure, I get that. But why has my Nexus 7 2012 not been left in the dust? it's not as snappy as my 2013, of course, but then again it never was. All in all, its performance with Lollipop is comparable to when it was new. My 2013 model actually performs better with Lollipop than when it was new. I attribute the 2013's increased performance (and the 2012's ability to maintain it's level of performance) to ART vs Dalvik. If lollipop still relied on dalvik, the 2012 Nexus would be dog-meat for sure.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-15-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Advert
Old 09-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #231
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Well sure, I get that. But why has my Nexus 7 2012 not been left in the dust? it's not as snappy as my 2013, of course, but then again it never was. All in all, its performance with Lollipop is comparable to when it was new. My 2013 model actually performs better with Lollipop than when it was new. I attribute the 2013's increased performance (and the 2012's ability to maintain it's level of performance) to ART vs Dalvik. If lollipop still relied on dalvik, the 2012 Nexus would be dog-meat for sure.
The generic answer is it hasn't been left in the dust because Google supports devices with security and OS updates for a set period. As you probably know though from the various forums, there were many complaints for certain updates and then some later improvements. However, other items could also affect performance such as how full your device is, which specific apps you have loaded, etc., etc.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #232
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The generic answer is it hasn't been left in the dust because Google supports devices with security and OS updates for a set period. As you probably know though from the various forums, there were many complaints for certain updates and then some later improvements. However, other items could also affect performance such as how full your device is, which specific apps you have loaded, etc., etc.
All very true. I use my devices continually, but that continuous use is limited to a few things. I read, I web browse, I check email, I twitter--that's about it (maybe they occasionally get used as a Roku remote).

As far as space goes ... I admit I'm a heavy "housecleaner". Always have been. Currently have 21Gb still available out of 26gb total.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #233
johnadams1
johnadams1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I like my new shiny things not getting an update plus no exact release date from google is a bit annoying. Any way was able to get some of the new google apps with material design from http://www.apkmirror.com/
Really like the looks of google maps with material design.
Other places from where you could download apks..

http://apkdot.com (looks like clone of apkmirror.com)
http://apkmonk.com (lots of apps available here)
http://apk4fun.com

Moderator Notice
Disclaimer

We at MobileRead take no responsibility for content of the sites mentioned above in this post. Please keep in mind that we make no guarantee of the safety of these sites. Please realize that these apk files may have been modified to include malware, virus, trojans from hackers or spammers to hijack your device. Some of the sites mentioned above use file hosting sites which are infamous for having advertising full of malware, viruses and other security issues.

You enter these sites at your own risk!

Last edited by Blossom; 11-29-2015 at 03:13 PM.
johnadams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #234
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Can someone please tell me how to get full screen incoming calls and not just a banner? If the phone is awake all I get is a small banner alert. I need it to go to a full screen or big enough that I'm not looking for it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #235
BretSingleton
Enthusiast
BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Does it update automatically, or do you have to approve it?
It does it depends on your device if it is supported by the lolippop.. it will pop up in your screen and it will say if you want to update.
BretSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote