Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #16
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
@wallcraft (or really anyone who knows): dude! (even if you're a girl) is there any way to get all of my non-book content -- specifically my calibre downloads of wired, science daily, etc. -- to be 'subscriptions' or 'personal docs', instead of 'books'? my 'books' file is way to glurge-y, and the science dailies, etc. that i e-mailed to my device are in 'personal docs', but the ones i moved via usb are 'books'. yark.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #17
ted-san
ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Can I hijack this with a related question?
It's been literally decades since my last Unix use, so pardon the ignorance of my question....

This thread reminded me that I had created a Word document containing html links to launch specific pages without having to manually open the browser. That works great.

That got me thinking - could I do the same thing by placing links to local shell scripts?
Here's exactly what I've done...
I've got all the font hack install.bin files in a folder, called fonts. Right now, when I want to install a new font, I have to connect the computer and copy the .bin file to the root directory, then do an "update my Kindle" from the menu.
What I would like to do is create a series of scripts that does, in essence:
cp file:///mnt/us/fonts/updated_newfont_install.bin file:///mnt/us/

Even better would be if igorsk, or another wizard, know if there's a way of executing a script command that actually executes the equivalent of a system update command.

My ultimate goal would be to have a folder full of my font files, and a document containing links to scripts that do the font install/system update.

Any possibilities?

Edited:
DOH! I just found the thread discussing the firmware update tool and how igorsk suggests using that for executing shell scripts. So I guess what I suggested will be impossible. After thinking about it for two seconds, I realized that they couldn't allow that in from a browser as that would be a huge security hole that would permit manipulation of the file system.

Last edited by ted-san; 05-03-2009 at 08:29 PM.
ted-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #18
heitzig-j
heitzig-j began at the beginning.

Make simple apps using JavaScript?

Since the browser apparently supports JavaScript, it should be possible to develop simple local apps for Kindle 2 then, e.g. a calculator, task list, calendar, games, etc.! Anyone tried this yet?
heitzig-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #19
ruddell
Enthusiast
ruddell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Any luck with getting Calibre to join multiple html files? I have a folder with over 200 html files all named numerically with an index.html pointing to each one. However, when I add the zip with everything or just index.html to calibre, it only gives me the list of links, not the whole thing.
ruddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #20
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Try vhtmlmerger.exe at
http://iterati.org/ebookTools/vHtmlMerger/Default.aspx
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #21
rdj999
rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Calibre can build a MOBI book from a ZIP file of web pages

Using the most recent version of Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/), I tried an experiment. Taking a bunch of interlinked HTML files, I created a ZIP file containing them and dragged-and-dropped the ZIP file into Calibre.

After Calibre stored the ZIP into its library, its Convert Books function produced a single MOBI file that I then transferred to the Kindle.

I have not fully inspected the document, but it seems to contain all of the content from all of the HTML pages, the cross-page and inter-page links work, and (remote) URLs launch the internal browser.

It does not seem to render the images that should be on the pages, and the order of things in the "book" seems a little strange, but that might be due to the order of HTML files in the ZIP file and/or Calibre conversion settings. Also, all of the images are located in a subdirectory, and I haven't yet tried placing everything in one, flat directory.

The Table of Contents is usable though somewhat random in its content and ordering. Again, that's probably due to my (default) Calibre settings for building the TOC.

I'm reasonably confident that some more fiddling may result in quite a usable document. This is great, because I have some technical "bookshelves" on CDs that I bought from the publisher -- everything's in HTML, but this may allow me to have perfectly useful, cross-linked versions available on my Kindle!

-^-rdj-^-
rdj999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #22
pgf
pgf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1n1234 View Post
Thanks it works great. I just renamed html to txt and put it into the documents folder and the Kindle recognized it without problem. The file I used didn't have graphics but it maintained the formatting very well. Just another option if you want something with formatting more than plain text and did not feel like converting to mobi or prc.
on my kindle 2, a file like this will even follow http: links. but it won't follow file:// links, nor will it run javascript. (as far as i can tell, on both counts. i'd like to be shown wrong.)

ironically, if you do have an http:// link inside your .txt file, the html fetched from the remote site _can_ refer to file:// links on your kindle, and _can_ run javascript. (my goal was to run a short script-based page without the overhead of downloading the jquery.js library with every access. now it comes from the local filesystem instead.)

paul
pgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #23
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I was wondering if maybe the new firmware 3.1 for the k3 might have changed the ability or lack to be able to open or link to a file:\\ inside the kindle.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #24
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I was wondering if maybe the new firmware 3.1 for the k3 might have changed the ability or lack to be able to open or link to a file:\\ inside the kindle.
Starting from Kindle 3, it's no longer possible to use file:// protocol.
Update: But it works fine on Kindle DX(G).

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-22-2015 at 03:02 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote