Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
A story with an omniscient 3rd person unreliable narrator that doesn't outright lie to the reader.
Third person, present tense would cover you. Don't chance any kind of "narrator" or insight, just show everything the characters do, thereby leaving the clues in their actions. No deceit necessary.

I love unreliable narrators, being one, but I think it would confuse matters here where all you're really doing is setting up a twist.

A disembodied unreliable narrator makes no sense to me.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Spoiler:
Mary Stewart's The Ivy Tree.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I can't think of an example that fits exactly what you're talking about, but I just wanted to say that I would love to read something like this. So go for it!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #19
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I think that the Young Adult novel
Spoiler:
http://www.amazon.com/The-False-Prin...8485067&sr=8-1The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen
fits the bill as to what you describing
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm wondering if Shutter Island by Denise Lehane would fit.
Excellent book. Also check out Gentleman & Players by Joanne Harris. Both books made my jaw drop!
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Never mind--see next post

Last edited by curtw; 05-31-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: thought of one...
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh wait, now I've got a great one (and a classic, at that):
Spoiler:
Random Harvest, by James Hilton.

Just don't see the movie first, because the "hidden truth" is revealed about halfway through, where the book gives it to you in the last paragraph. As an added bonus, the reader also discovers that they've been tracking the wrong "main character."

Of course, now that you know that any book falls into your desired category, any surprise is going to be "pre-spoiled" because you'll be looking for it throughout the text...

Last edited by curtw; 05-31-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #23
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Spoiler:
Presumed Innocent, by Scott Turrow.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #24
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
Spoiler:
Presumed Innocent, by Scott Turrow.
I had considered that one, but went back to the mission statement about "main character." In your example, the character isn't the protagonist, but rather a supporting character. That's why I wracked my brain so hard, and my example isn't much better. You spend most of the book thinking that the story is "about" one of the characters, but the revelation at the end lets you know that the one who matters is somebody else...
Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #25
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Wow! Thanks for all the comments. It's much appreciated. As to curtw's point about not spoiling it for me, I'll make sure to find out the twist before reading any of these books, as I'm treating them more like case studies than anything. I realize that I'm robbing myself of some good reading experiences, but them's the breaks.

Thanks again!
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #26
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Not books, but I'm thinking of old Alfred Hitchcock Presents programs that sometimes pulled the rug out from under the viewer at the end. One such is "Man with a Problem," with Gary Merrill as a man threatening to jump from a window ledge.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote