Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
devastat
devastat began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
How any of you are now using iPad as the main e-reader?

Hello all,

I own a Sony Reader that I used to use a lot and I just love the screen and everything its a great device, but since I got my iPad last summer I have switched entirely to reading with my iPad. So I was just wondering how many of you who owns an iPad, have had similar experiences? To be honest, I would bet my money that e-ink readers are already behind and in a years time most people are reading with tablets.

I know that e-ink display is much easier on your eyes, but somehow I find it much easier to focus while reading with an iPad (or a computer screen). I find it sometimes very difficult to concentrate while reading from a paperback or Sony Reader (I think i might have a mild ADHD and that's why).

Last edited by devastat; 11-25-2010 at 02:33 PM.
devastat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I went from a Kindle to an iPad exclusively for about two months and then went back to the Kindle. It wasn’t the LCD vs. eInk that was the problem, it was strictly the screen size: I just prefer the 6" screen (but not smaller).
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Not me again mostly due to the portability issue, I do like the synching of the kindle app between my phone and my ipad though so it may lead to me replacing my sony 505 with a k3 so I get the best of both worlds or I hang on until I can get a playbook.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I use it exclusively.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I switch between iPad and Touch, depending on portability, bulk. I prefer Touch for subway strap-hanging, for instance.

I've stopped using my Kindle. For me, iPad and Touch work better. To my eyes, e-ink offers no advantage.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
blt50203
Rogue Bookseller
blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad, iPhone, B&N nook
I have gone through a few readers and I still love the way Sony let's your organize into collections. I primarily use the iPad, along with the iPhone, because they not only can keep in sync with each other, but with the free apps or side loading through iTunes, I can get books from anywhere ( BN, Amazon, Kobo, iBooks, etc..)

It's this flexibility that keeps me with the iPad. I got an Apple case so I prop it on my lap to read in two page view.

Also, if you use Stanza you can wirelessly connect to your calibre library.

As far as enink vs LCD goes I enjoy reading on both. There's just so much more overall content available on the iPad for overall reading.
blt50203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Stefx
Enthusiast
Stefx began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
My iPad replaced the Sony 505 entirely.
The functionality to read in bed without a light (white letters on black background) allows me to not disturb the pretty demoiselle sleeping next to me.
The larger screen is also a big advantage.

Another big advantage is the various apps (Kobo, Kindle, etc )
Stefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I don't find it comfortable to read on such a big screen. Sometimes I read in iBooks in the two-page mode in a pinch, but I strongly prefer to read on the Kindle. The only reading I do for fun on the iPad is in the Zinio app.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Me me me.

My Sony is stuck on the bookshelf, sulking. The only time it gets used now is on the beach.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
devastat
devastat began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
Another great feature with iPad I have recently discovered is to listen audiobooks via Audible on the iPad (via the iPad speakers). It's a great feature if you want to listen to a book while doing something else at the same time (cleaning up your room for example :P)

There was a discount on audible that allowed you to buy 2 audiobooks for free upon joining..

Last edited by devastat; 11-26-2010 at 04:47 AM.
devastat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:17 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I use the iPad for most of my reading now. I like the larger screen. Sony is suppose to be coming out with an app for the iPhone this year, maybe it will be a universal app rather than iPhone only. Like the previous poster, I really like the collections feature of the Sony reader. Sony seems to be the only eReader out there that acknowledges that there might be some people out there who like to carry more than a few books on their eReader at a time.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #12
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
I use my Sony for straight through, linear reading and sometimes for news/rss feed reading. Also I use it in the subway. Standing and reading an iPad doesn't work for me.

I used to use the Sony exclusively for borrowing library books, but with Bluefire and the Overdrive update coming, probably less so.

I like having the Sony ereader to reduce the wear and tear on the iPad, so I can do more iPad-ish things. Like play Angry Birds.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I'm using the iPad for ~ 99% of my reading. Apps I use are iBooks for epub and Goodreader for pdf.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I sold my Sony Reader because it was collecting dust after I started using my iPhone and iPad for all my ereading.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I'm using my iPad as my main reader because one of my devices (Victor Stream) is broken and another (Sony) is on extended loan to some friends. I miss my 6" e-ink screen, but my friends need it more than I do at the moment (combating boredom and distracting from pain because of medical issues).

There are advantages and disadvantages to every platform and device, which is why I don't feel too silly having multiple ebook-capable devices. The iPad is good for reading at home or in coffeehouses, the iPod goes with me nearly everywhere and is at hand when I have a spare moment or two.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote