Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 01:10 AM   #16
givitup2E
givitup2E began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Has anyone found a simplier and thus faster way to add the thumb covers? The process of copying what Calibre makes as a "cover.jpg" over to the pandigital's .thumbnail folder and then opening the jpg with paint to resize it so its less than 10kb times a couple hundered books is pretty long and boring.
givitup2E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #17
chango714
Chango714
chango714 began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital novel
I will try that. Your 2 cents is appreciated
chango714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #18
chango714
Chango714
chango714 began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital novel
Giveitup2e - I looked at my JPG files, I have some as large as 300K and they display properly. But alas, I have no explanation for that.
chango714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #19
givitup2E

the files that are in the .thumbnail folder? very odd indeed if thats the case. They wouldn't work for me, as did the manual specifically address that issue.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #20
givitup2E

I found a work around to import the books into the pandigital. If you put the books onto the SD card and then import them that way, the device converts the stuff correctly for you and the thumb covers will show up. After all that hassle of figuring out how to work, I decided I didn't like they default ereader, deleted it all and installed aldiko then imported them inot there :P
Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #21
Wondercookie
Wondercookie began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel (black)
Cover images load well when they are 90 x 130 pixels. I use paintshop pro to make my own covers. Exact titles, respective file extensions - for example: Under_the_Dome-Stephen_King(excellent_working_copy).epub, the thumbnail needs to be named Under_the_Dome-Stephen_King(excellent_working_copy).jpg. Every itty bitty tiny little miniscule character needs to be the same. Copy and paste if it's too hard.

When Pandigital is connected, drag the cover .jpg to the pandigtal folder ".thumbnail". Or make a .thumbnail folder on your SD card and keep your covers there. When you import, Pandigital will import the images except the User's manual (go figure).

Tada!
Wondercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #22
Ridgeview-Wire
Ridgeview-Wire began at the beginning.

Firstly, I'd like to thank, gratefully, the creators of Calibre. I have an extensive digital comic book collection and bought the Pandigital Novel because the salesman told me it supported .cbr files. I was bummed when I found out it didn't, spent a few hours researching it, and Calibre was the only program I could find to properly covert the files and send them to my reader.

That said, I'm still having some problems. While the actual comics translate quite well across to the reader, the OCD part of me hates the lame cover placeholder. So, if anyone could clear a few issues up for me, I'd appreciate it greatly.

I've got the Pandigital Novel plugin enabled, but there's still not Pandigital Novel option in the reader list. Is this normal? I've tried using the Kobo, though I haven't hacked the reader or anything, and I tried using the Cybook Opus as I saw advised in an earlier post and neither cut the book the right way. So, the default works the best there. Am I doing everything right or is there an option I'm somehow overlooking?

As for the covers, no matter what I do, the cover is always that lazy placeholder. I noticed that Calibre puts the books into a custom "MyBooks" folder instead of the default "eBooks" folder with the .thumbnail directory. Is this an issue?

As for any of you who have gotten it working through Calibre, did you do the same thing as me, or is there a special setup for the Pandigital Novel? I'd like to avoid the laborious task of finding covers myself, cropping them, and naming them to copy them over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ridgeview-Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not create thumbnails when uploading to the device, as the format of the thumbnails is not well defined and I dont have the device to test with.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #24
Ridgeview-Wire
Ridgeview-Wire began at the beginning.

No problem, that's all I needed to know. Thank you very much, Doctor. Keep up the good work, and thank you for adding in the Pandigital Novel plugin!
Ridgeview-Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
dave726
dave726 began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital Novel
Since the Calibre library names the covers all with the same name, cover.jpg, it makes it very difficult to manually copy books over to an SD card for the Pandigital Novel. Would it be possible to name the jpg stored in the library with the Title - Author.xxx form in which the books themselves are named? A reconvert could be used with the whole library to accomplish a rename of all the cover.jpg to a more helpful Title - Author.jpg .
dave726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #26
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave726 View Post
Since the Calibre library names the covers all with the same name, cover.jpg, it makes it very difficult to manually copy books over to an SD card for the Pandigital Novel. Would it be possible to name the jpg stored in the library with the Title - Author.xxx form in which the books themselves are named? A reconvert could be used with the whole library to accomplish a rename of all the cover.jpg to a more helpful Title - Author.jpg .
As a work around I believe using the Save to disk in a single directory feature does exactly what you ask.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #27
dave726
dave726 began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital Novel
Sounds like the solution

That sounds like the solution. Books can't be read directly from the SD card. THe Pandigital has to import them to internal memory. In the process, it should import the covers too, provided they are smaller than 10kB. I'll test that the next time I'm over supporting that reader a family member bought. That Pandigital reader is sure more cumbersome than my Sony PRS-600.
dave726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #28
jtintle
jtintle began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel Black
Ok, with the newest firmware(01/14/11) for the Black Pandigital Novel(BPDN), I can use Calibre to send my books to my SD card, the Barnes and Noble app reads them just fine and imports the covers without any changes needed...

For those who haven't updated the firmware, the new one changes the Novel, to more of an Android tablet, rather than the old BPDN screens. You can add Android apps/widgets to it now. My opinion is if you like the way the BPDN is now, then don't bother upgrading, but if you want a tablet like experience, upgrade, and have fun...

Just my 2 cents
jtintle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #29
sbracey
sbracey began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital novel 7" eReader
Any updates on this issue. I recently downloaded the newest firmware (03/02/11) to my white 7" Pandigital Novel and cannot get the cover images to load. I've tried doing it manually, as well as through caliber without success. I've made sure that my .epub name and .jpg name match (which worked fine before the upgrade to the Android version), but won't work now. It just gives me a picture of the first page of the book. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've also extensively searched for info on this through Google to no avail. That's actually how I found this great site and Calibre. Thanks in advance.
sbracey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pandigital