Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
BSquaredInOz
BSquaredInOz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Question Sony Reader Library duplicating titles

Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been asked and answered but I did search and couldn't find this problem.

I just bought a Sony Reader (PRS-650). It's working fine except that the library software seems to be malfunctioning. I have loaded 4 books on to the device but each time I attach my device to the computer it adds a new copy of each book to the device - so I have 3 copies of the 2 books I bought first, 2 copies of the next book I bought and so far 1 copy of the book I bought today. It doesn't do this to the books that came pre-installed with the device.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? the copies all appear on the device with the little NEW tag while the older title is still there with nothing next to it. I can go through and delete the copies which is OK while I only have 4 books but I imagine it won't be long until I have more

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers, Bernadette
BSquaredInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Turn off auto-sync. Many people are having problems with it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
BSquaredInOz

Thanks. I can't see anything to turn off the auto sync but I have unchecked the preference to automatically link my device to my library. I'll see how that goes.

It's such a shame as the device itself is a delight to use (easily the best form factor I've come across in a gadget in the past 10 years) but at this point I would not recommend it to anyone based on having to use that software. I know it's possible to use something like Calibre but that doesn't seem terribly feasible given how few DRM-free books are available (at least here in Oz) and I don't fancy having multiple bits of software for the same function.

Sigh, life is never perfect.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
BSquaredInOz

I have managed to turn sync off but now I can't use the Reader Library to get books onto the device at all. So far I've only bought 5 books but 4 of them have the DRM and I have no idea how I would get them onto the device. So it looks like I'll be returning the eReader to the store and asking for my money back. Nice design is great but the software should work too - I paid $300 for this thing.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
To get specific books onto the reader in Reader Library, click and drag them from the library to the reader, in the left hand tree. I hope that is clear--I do not have access to the software where I am at the moment, so this is from memory.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I included a couple of screen captures from the Sony Reader Library software to show how to drag books onto your reader.
  1. Connect your reader to you computer and open the Sony Reader Library.
  2. Highlight Library in the upper-left corner of the screen. These are the books in your library stored on you computer.
  3. Select a book from your library then drag it onto Reader. (See first attached image.)
  4. Option: Highlight Reader and select the book you just dropped into your reader, and drag it onto a Collection to store it in a Collection. (See second attached image.)

Collections are optional. If you want to use collections you can create them by highlighting Reader then clicking the PLUS SIGN at the bottom-left of the screen.

To delete books from your reader you can right click them in the Sony Reader Library and select delete. Be sure you first hightlight Reader. Or you can delete books directly from your reader using its menus.

I hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony-reader-library-1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	58514   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony-reader-library-2.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	58515  

Last edited by jswinden; 09-20-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
BSquaredInOz

Thanks Jack, you are very sweet to help me out. I have sorted it all out now and am managing my collection manually. I do love my device but that software is a shocker!

Cheers, Bernadette