Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #31
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I very much doubt that. Don't provoke me to review ebookdroid reader, because I'm afraid the review would be annihilating.

(Off-topic: in terms of movies, what exactly is it that you're lacking in AVPlayerHD on iOS?)
oh, well, for a start it cost 2.99$... i cant change the color of subtitles...i'm used to yellow color for subtitles and can't stand white subtitles...that alone is the most important feature in my book...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #32
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Red face

Try to write them and suggest the feature. Although they're Korean, they promptly replied to a concern of mine. I love the customizable 2-finger and 3-finger swipe gestures in AVPlayerHD -- something I find crucial in a video app, as opposed to the colour of subtitles. Compare that to the YouTube app, no matter if by Apple or Google, and the YouTube app (and mobile site) is so lame it makes you want to jump out the nearest window.

</off-topic>
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #33
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
I just don't get this size thing... if something starts small and gets big thats "innovation" and "great"... if something starts big and gets small, that's also "innovation" and "great." Have we lost all sense of common sense? I do understand that one might prefer one size over the other... why do we attempt to always proclaim one as the "winner?" Both can be "winners."

As for me, I'll stick with my "big" and "heavy" iPad.... seems just about right.... (Actually, I still prefer my "antique" laptop!)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #34
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
but still years away from the best solutions on android for pdf...i have goodreader as well on ipad, but it cant hold a candle to android trio: repligo, orion viewer and ebookdroid reader (the last 2 are free)...despite all the bla bla about app store and its wast selection, when we narrow things down a bit apple app store looks like poor cousin compared to android...and exactly in the multimedia department where are the things which matters...when we compare say video and audio players android beat the crap out of apple, as well as in ebook reader department. and android solutions are for the most cases free...
I'm no Apple fan by any means, and I still hate Jobs even though he is dead. But things just work right on my iPad and iPt5 whereas not much ever worked right on any Android tablet I ever owned. Android apps are typically poorly written and barely tested crap. I found that if I want to accomplish anything constructive on a tablet or phone it needs to run iOS. Hell half of my iOS apps are not even available in Android. Video on my iOS devices blows chunks at video on Android. And with iOS I don't have to spend an hour a day trying to change settings to keep the battery from sporadic, rapid drainage.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #35
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
oh, well, for a start it cost 2.99$... i cant change the color of subtitles...i'm used to yellow color for subtitles and can't stand white subtitles...that alone is the most important feature in my book...
Try OPlayerHD, I find it to be an excellent video player, either locally or streaming, and it allows selection of both text and border colours for subtitles.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #36
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I just don't get this size thing... if something starts small and gets big thats "innovation" and "great"... if something starts big and gets small, that's also "innovation" and "great." Have we lost all sense of common sense? I do understand that one might prefer one size over the other... why do we attempt to always proclaim one as the "winner?" Both can be "winners."

As for me, I'll stick with my "big" and "heavy" iPad.... seems just about right....
I agree. I prefer the regular iPad's form factor over the 7-inch version, and I prefer reading on the old-fashioned, 10-inch Kindle DX instead of on the typical Kindle device. That said, there are occasions when the 7-inch versions are more handy, which is why it's worth owning both types of devices.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #37
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
...despite all the bla bla about app store and its wast selection, when we narrow things down a bit apple app store looks like poor cousin compared to android....
Wow... Could not disagree more. I can't wait for a retina iPad mini so I can ditch my Nexus 7. Ah, we'll... Glad we have choices!
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #38
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If you're near a Microcenter they're still selling them (at a discount from the original price, although they discount the 2 and 4 as well).
Also you can get refurbs on apple.com (2nd or 3rd generation).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #39
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Wow... Could not disagree more. I can't wait for a retina iPad mini so I can ditch my Nexus 7. Ah, we'll... Glad we have choices!
choice of audio, video and ebook apps is miles better (and less expensive) on android...as a multimedia tool , choice of video and audio formats, openess, handling of various files between apps, android is a better solution...period. it's not even up for discussion..

i dont care about games, i suppose it s better on ios...just tell me which apps you are missing on your nexus 7 and they are at the same time existed on ios? and what are you doing when some files wont work in some program in ios? go to your computer, and transfering it again into another app, right...and for some people ios is easier to work with?

it's even hard to call ios smart operating system..at the end of the day ios is simply an application launcher, which is not so smart i think...

Last edited by Tacty; 01-10-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #40
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
it's not even up for discussion..
Well that saves us wasting time then
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #41
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
choice of audio, video and ebook apps is miles better (and less expensive) on android...
If you are talking selection... it may be larger on Android, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. In my experience, the quality of the iOS apps are much better, and finding the good stuff in the iOS app store is easier. Even comparing the same app, the iOS tablet version is usually better because the Android app is often just a phone app, scaled up for the tablet screen. Just one example... the Goodreads app has a lot more features in the iPad app than the Android version.

I actually bought my Nexus 7 because I kept hearing that the selection of ebook reading apps with auto-scroll was so much better for Android. Once I got it, I found the only reader app that measured up (for my needs) to what I was already using on iOS was Moon + Reader Pro, which cost the same as the app I was using on iOS (Tomes) and is about equal in features. Once Marvin App for iPad gets auto-scroll it will blow both of them away and I'll be back to reading full-time on my iPad. Everything else I use my iPad for is worse on the Nexus 7... reading is only marginally better, and that is primarily because it's a smaller, lighter device.

Quote:
what are you doing when some files wont work in some program in ios? go to your computer, and transferring it again into another app, right...and for some people ios is easier to work with?
Honestly... I have not had a problem finding iOS apps to open/edit whatever I needed opened/edited, and I never need to go to my computer to transfer files. Anytime I need a file off my computer, I have been able to get it over the air with a nice app called FileBrowser which lets me browse my shared folders with no additional software. And I'm not even a Mac user.

But like I said... at least we have choices. Getting an Android device has made me appreciate iOS a lot more than I previously did. That said, iTunes still sucks and should be banished from the planet. Fortunately, you can pretty much get by without interacting with it much anymore.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #42
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

I subscribe to every word Sue said. iOS, despite its many flaws and quirks, is -- in my experience -- clearly superior over Android in the grand scheme of things. Particularly in terms of reliability and usability. Just like Sue said, I don't ever use the iPad/iPhone in conjunction with my computer, because this is never needed in practice, and I stopped using the atrocious iTunes back in 2011 when iCloud was launched. Most objections against iOS I hear are typically a combination of prejudice and ignorance on the part of those who are familiar with iOS only on the most superficial level (if they have ever used it at all).
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #43
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I subscribe to every word Sue said. iOS, despite its many flaws and quirks, is -- in my experience -- clearly superior over Android in the grand scheme of things. Particularly in terms of reliability and usability. Just like Sue said, I don't ever use the iPad/iPhone in conjunction with my computer, because this is never needed in practice, and I stopped using the atrocious iTunes back in 2011 when iCloud was launched. Most objections against iOS I hear are typically a combination of prejudice and ignorance on the part of those who are familiar with iOS only on the most superficial level (if they have ever used it at all).
You can't get your own stuff into the main music and video apps without the hideous beast that is iTunes and you can't, in most cases, use the same data with multiple apps (say, to use different video apps for different circumstances). For that kind of flexibility, ease of side loading and other hobbyist uses, and affordability and choice, Android clearly has the advantage, and that's not prejudice or ignorance. The iThings are generally high-end devices, no question, but the walls of the garden they live in are higher than most.

Last edited by ApK; 01-10-2013 at 08:26 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #44
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

I'm not sure what you say is true, ApK, and anyway we're severely off-topic here. All I can say is, I never use the default Music or Video apps on iOS, because they are clearly inferior compared to better apps serving identical purposes. And that's what I meant by "lack of familiarity" with iOS: default apps and ways of doing things are often lame or ineffective, but that doesn't mean you can't install better apps and do things more effectively in iOS.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #45
Tacty
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You can't get your own stuff into the main music and video apps without the hideous beast that is iTunes and you can't, in most cases, use the same data with multiple apps (say, to use different video apps for different circumstances). For that kind of flexibility, ease of side loading and other hobbyist uses, and affordability and choice, Android clearly has the advantage, and that's not prejudice or ignorance. The iThings are generally high-end devices, no question, but the walls of the garden they live in are higher than most.
+1
and it gets annoying after awhile...good screen, good battery life, but handling of files is a nightmare...