Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You get the same dictionaries on the basic Kindle (Kindle 4) than you do on the Kindle Touch or the newly released Kindle Paperwhite.

None of the e-readers meet all your requirements; none will easily read all formats, have good dictionaries and have page turn buttons.

However, if you remove the read all formats requirement (as HarryT says you can convert your books and instead choose the e-reader that most suits you rather than your ebook library), you do have better options.

HarryT has already covered the fact that if good dictionaries are important to you, then Kindle & Sony are your best bet, so with page turn buttons that leaves you with the Sony PRS-T2 or the basic Kindle.

The Sony PRS-T2 is a touch screen device, which makes it probably best for looking up the dictionary, it's very quick & has an excellent screen, the page turn buttons at the bottom of the device aren't best placed though (IMHO).

The Kindle isn't a touch screen (so you have to use the five-way controller for things like dictionary look-up), not quite as quick as the Sony for dictionary usage but page turns are speedy, and again it has a very good screen (buy the black version and not the silver to guarantee this, it seems far better). It has the page turn buttons handily situated on the side, which is most comfortable for one handed reading.

The Sony PRS-T2 is the better of the two, but it costs USD $130 compared to the cheapest Kindle option of $70.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
kazuma6666
Enthusiast
kazuma6666 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook OPUS, Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The Sony PRS-T2 is a touch screen device, which makes it probably best for looking up the dictionary, it's very quick & has an excellent screen, the page turn buttons at the bottom of the device aren't best placed though (IMHO).

The Kindle isn't a touch screen (so you have to use the five-way controller for things like dictionary look-up), not quite as quick as the Sony for dictionary usage but page turns are speedy, and again it has a very good screen (buy the black version and not the silver to guarantee this, it seems far better). It has the page turn buttons handily situated on the side, which is most comfortable for one handed reading.
Thanks a lot for all the info.

the PRS-T2 button's location is so bad that it's as if it didn't have any. The kindle is marginally better (I see the buttons at the bottom of the screen in the center). the Nook and Odyssey have got the buttons at the right place. But I hear the nook's button are too hard to be usable. And the odyssey's got crappy dictionary.

Seems from what I read that the kindle is my best bet, even if I have to use the touch screen to change pages. Maybe the kindle touch?

I was looking at the paperwhite, it looks great in the reviews I read, but the forums here put the scare of blobs in me. I don't wanna have to send it back 4 times before getting one that is acceptable. Not even good or perfect, only acceptable.

Gonna read some kindle touch reviews then.

Last edited by kazuma6666; 12-04-2012 at 10:29 AM.
kazuma6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
No the Kindle 4's page turn buttons are at the side, the same as the Nook & Odyssey (see the images in this review showing the Kindle 4 in comparison to the Kindle 3/Kindle Keyboard).

In terms of the Kindle Touch v Sony PRS-T2 if you aren't going to bother with page turn buttons, there's probably not a great deal to choose between them. As a slightly newer device the T2 might be a little faster, but then if you're going to consider the Kindle you'd be as well looking at the Paperwhite, as a slightly faster more responsive option than the Kindle Touch, unless the light is of no interest (and of course, quality control isn't as good so you might not get a great screen first time round).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
The Nook Glow and the Simple touch have page turn buttons that are really hard to press . I don't think many use them.
True they aren't the greatest buttons, but as I recall they aren't any harder to press than the "buttons" on the Opus which is what the OP is used to.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
The Nook Glow and the Simple touch have page turn buttons that are really hard to press . I don't think many use them.
The Nook Glow buttons are easier to press than the Nook Touch. And I use the buttons all the time, on both.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 AM   #21
kazuma6666
Enthusiast

Very good informations lately, the nook seems like a good solution again. Except for the dictionary maybe. I read that it is a bit more comfortable to hold then the kindle, but the kindle is more "cool" looking I guess. Well I read that in a review. I'd prefer to have comfort any day. But this information came from one review, it's not very conclusive. If the comfort is not really different, then the kindle touch would be my choice.

Seems the nook is the closest to the experience I have with the opus.
So now it's a toss up between the nook simple touch that will be easier to handle and the kindle that has the better dictionary.
Assuming the dictionary is good enough, I think i'm leaning towards the nook. Reading comfort is really important. I used my opus again for hours yesterday and was amazed how easy and comfortable it was. I was also really impatient to have a dictionary
I'm gonna try to find evaluations of the dictionary in the nook. I only have information from HarryT right now about which dictionary is better. Not that I don't trust it but I need more info if I have to make my choice based on that argument.

The kindle 4 NT is out of the game because it looks annoying to find words without touch.
I'm really not as adamant as before about the buttons, I tried a bit on my opus to see if it would be annoying to put my thumb on the border of the screen each time I wanted to change page, and it was alright.

Last edited by kazuma6666; 12-05-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You don't have to take my word for it . The attached screenshot shows the list of dictionaries that you get as standard on the Kindle - all major commercial dictionaries for their respective languages. Compare that with what you get on other readers, and make up your own mind which is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dictionaries.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	97306  
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #23
kazuma6666
Enthusiast

Thanks for the fast reply, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Well the french dictionary doesn't seem like anything special (no name for it). But the oxford is a good one from what I know. And besides, I really don't care at all for the french dic, I won't use it much.

Now to find the same for the nook

Last edited by kazuma6666; 12-05-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, the Kindle is very comfortable to hold. I'd suggest that you try to find one in a store and try it for yourself.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #25
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
The K4 has a great dictionary but it's a pain to use. You have to keep clicking until you get to the right space. A touch screen would be much easier if you'll be using the dictionary a lot.

I've never had trouble with smudges on either my K4 or my NST. When I do clean them, it's to clear off dust, not smudges. They don't seem to have the problem that my iPad has with smudges at all. I wouldn't worry too much about that, personally.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #26
kazuma6666
Enthusiast

So, it seems I'm buying the kindle finally. Only, I realized now that there is only 2 new kindle, the paperwhite and the K4NT. They didn't make a new touch. So if I want the new model I have to get the paperwhite. I guess I'll try and hope not to get a defective model.

If I try to get it in France they say it will ship on 4/02/2013. I think I'll get it from uk amazon!

Thanks a lot for all the info, I had good advice 3 years ago when I wanted my first ereader, and it seems like it happened again

Edit : I guess it's no use looking at the other ones, onyx, pocketbook, iriver, ... There is a forum about the other devices, but I suppose they won't have a good dictionary, it'll be the same as bookeen.

Fun fact : I can't get the paperwhite in belgium. I can't get the K4NT either. They will only send my the kindle 3. The silver one. Very nice. Even if I try to get it from the UK or US, they will only say that it's not available in my country and refuse the order. Gonna check if I can get it with Viaddress.

Last edited by kazuma6666; 12-06-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Keep in mind there will always be words not found in these mobile dictionaries. They are very abridged.

For example, Oxford English doesn't have "palisade" but Webster does.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Kindle's Oxford dictionaries are truly excellent and certainly have "palisade" in them

From the Kindle:

Palisade
n
1. A fence of wooden stakes or iron railings fixed in the ground, forming an enclosure or defence.
2. Palisades (US). A line of high cliffs.

v (with obj)(usually as adj palisaded) enclose or provide (a building or place) with a palisade.

ORIGIN Early 17th century: from French palissada, from palissa "paling", based on Latin palus "stake".
Old 12-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #29
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I can confirm. Just looked, it's in both English dictionaries on my KPW.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #30
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
My version on the Sony says entry not found. This is the plain Oxford edition.

The American Oxford has the proper name found in NJ but not the wooden fence.

Last edited by Fbone; 12-06-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote