Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #61
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon65 View Post
Well, whether it is decided to keep these requests separate (my vote goes there) or merged into the Touch firmware requests I do have a request/ question. Does the apostrophe issue still happen for other Kobo users? Apostrophes in authors name or title causing issues in the sideloaded or calibre library issue, I mean.

If it does still exist I'd love that to see some attention. That way there would be very little adjustment to my epubs from the old nook configurations. I do still have two of those in the house. Hate to have two different epub versions for the different readers!
The last time I saw the issue with an apostrophe triggering a content locked error was with the original Kobo ereader in the summer of 2010. The next firmware update fixed the problem (Kobo ticket #23676 as I recall) and I haven't seen it in any firmware variant on any of the Kobo ereaders since.

What version of firmware on which Kobo device did you see this problem with?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #62
irow
irow began at the beginning.

Device: none
yes, a lower minimum light level would be a great idea.
irow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x55 View Post
My use case is similar to davidfor's, I often have two or three "now reading" items. As a Nook refugee, it's sweet how Kobo shows a group of recent reads instead of just one.

So to me, the ideal solution would be TWO screens, both with five chronologically-sized covers. One would be "Currently Reading" and the other would be "What's New."
I often have four or five books in my "now reading" list (fiction and reference). As for the two screen suggestion, remove the "Discover" from the home screen or add a 3rd item "New Books" where the last 5 books added would be displayed. That way, reading would be books I am currently reading and I would have easy access to the newly added books as long as I only added 5 or less.

Regards,
DNSB

Last edited by DNSB; 12-01-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Why is the blasted UI in Deutsch???? Did I move without noticing??
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #64
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As for the two screen suggestion, remove the "Discover" from the home screen or add a 3rd item "New Books" where the last 5 books added would be displayed.
This is basically what I was suggesting above - surely then everyone is happy (apart from, perhaps, Kobo, whose not-quite-ads page would then be slightly less prominent).
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #65
adrian.b
adrian.b began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
The web browser can only be used in portrait mode. It will be a nice feature to use it in landscape mode and some pages will be easyer to read. A quick launch button for the web browser will be also a nice feature.
adrian.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #66
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
PLEASE:
- PDF landscape zoomed continuous mode and flip by screen height
- PDF simple page flipping by single click when zoomed in
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #67
tsad
tsad began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksiflhjla8 View Post
PLEASE:
- PDF simple page flipping by single click when zoomed in
It's already implemented. Move the page to the right border and a little more until you see a black bar on the right side, tap on the black bar -> page flip, zoom factor is kept.
tsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #68
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Quote:
The last time I saw the issue with an apostrophe triggering a content locked error was with the original Kobo ereader in the summer of 2010. The next firmware update fixed the problem (Kobo ticket #23676 as I recall) and I haven't seen it in any firmware variant on any of the Kobo ereaders since.

What version of firmware on which Kobo device did you see this problem with?
I'm running firmware 2.1.5 (r43939). I have come to the realization that it was problems with seating of the sd card that caused the issues with reading the newly loaded books. I have edited the ebooks to replace the apostrophes and after reseating the card all is good.

So, I was wrong. Sorry. Nevermind.
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #69
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsad View Post
It's already implemented. Move the page to the right border and a little more until you see a black bar on the right side, tap on the black bar -> page flip, zoom factor is kept.
Ok, so please draw a symbol on these bars.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #70
piratepanda
Connoisseur
piratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsad View Post
A simple continous mode like for epubs would be much much easier to handle as the page flip at the moment puts you where the scrollbar was so you have to scroll up again which is annoying.
piratepanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #71
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur

- The small PDF zoom overview picture should be at the bottom, so that I can begin reading the page while I align it to the top. Or it should be possible to switch it off

- Like fonts in EPUBs it would be nice to darken or lighten PDF rendering

- On Front screen list more than five recently read books (ordinary list)

- Browse SD Card by directory

Last edited by ksiflhjla8; 12-04-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #72
Aiolizator
Aiolizator began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 4
Hi,

please add the ability to save more than one Wifi (WEP, WPA, whatever) key.
I'd like to be able to connect to my home WiFi network AND to my smartphone using WiFi tethering, without having to type the key every time.

Thanks by advance.
Aiolizator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #73
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
For the purpose of page turning you can split the screen in 2 or 3 main horizontal areas (great feature that was not present in the Nook, though it had buttons).

I would also like the ability to split the screen surface in three vertical areas as well so e.g. wherever I would touch the screen in the lower 2/3 (except on the page count bar at the bottom) I would turn the page forward and on the top 1/3 the page would turn backwards.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon65 View Post
I'm running firmware 2.1.5 (r43939). I have come to the realization that it was problems with seating of the sd card that caused the issues with reading the newly loaded books. I have edited the ebooks to replace the apostrophes and after reseating the card all is good.

So, I was wrong. Sorry. Nevermind.
No problems! (always wanted to type that... VBG). Though you had me wondering if the original bug had managed to re-surface.

From what I've seen and read, quite a few people have found that the Kobo readers are a bit fussy about the SD cards and the newer ones using the micro-SD cards are even fussier. After "upgrading" to 2.2.1, I found that when using the uSD card in my Glo, I have to remember that when I take the Glo out of sleep mode, I need to switch to the home screen and then back to the book that I am reading. That's the easiest way I've found of avoiding the crash and freeze when going page forward or backward after coming out of sleep mode.

Hopefully by the time that 2.2.x is in general release, that bug will have been fixed.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #75
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
From what I've seen and read, quite a few people have found that the Kobo readers are a bit fussy about the SD cards and the newer ones using the micro-SD cards are even fussier. After "upgrading" to 2.2.1, I found that when using the uSD card in my Glo, I have to remember that when I take the Glo out of sleep mode, I need to switch to the home screen and then back to the book that I am reading. That's the easiest way I've found of avoiding the crash and freeze when going page forward or backward after coming out of sleep mode.
I don't think I have seen mention of that problem. Does this happen only when reading a book on the SD card? Or any book when the SD card is installed?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature, firmware, glo, request