Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Question Reading stats irritation

Hello - earlier today I was poking around in a newly purchased book, and ended up clicking through to the final page, forgetting that that this would mean my Kobo eReader Touch would then register the book as 'finished'. Once I noticed this, I then went back to beginning of the book. Hey presto, it is no longer marked as 'finished'. However, when I later checked my reading stats, I noticed to my irritation that my 'books finished' count had gone up by one How do I correct this? I'd like my 'books finished' count to be accurate...
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I think the only way is a factory reset
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
However, when I later checked my reading stats, I noticed to my irritation that my 'books finished' count had gone up by one How do I correct this? I'd like my 'books finished' count to be accurate...
Read the book. Accuracy restored.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I think the only way is a factory reset
Really? That's not good news I haven't done one of those before. Presumably I will have to redownload books purchased from the store but what about side loaded items? And when I re-enter my account information, presumably reading life data like awards and stats already synched to the cloud will be restored?
Old 12-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Now that's an idea!

Last edited by Cameronpaterson; 12-18-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Actually, now that I think about this - wouldn't reading the book simply add another digit to the 'books finished' count? Does the Touch recognise that you have already read a particular title?
Old 12-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
Actually, now that I think about this - wouldn't reading the book simply add another digit to the 'books finished' count? Does the Touch recognise that you have already read a particular title?
I've tried that and I didn't get double credit on my KT. It was a while back on a previous firmware version; let us know if you get different results.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

You can always read the book, but not turn the page after last page? Just close the book when you are on last page by using home button.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
You can always read the book, but not turn the page after last page? Just close the book when you are on last page by using home button.
Yes, that's true The only reason I haven't read this particular book is because I have two others on the go at present. A button for punishment, me! I can't help but feel there should be an easier way though. I'm currently trying to work out whether reading life data (i.e. stats and trophies) which I have synchronised would be restored after a factory reset...
Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
haven't got my kobo yet so unsure if this is the same

on iOS the books read count is only books that are currently on the device, so removing it and re adding it reduces the count and puts it back as an unread book
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
haven't got my kobo yet so unsure if this is the same

on iOS the books read count is only books that are currently on the device, so removing it and re adding it reduces the count and puts it back as an unread book
Nice idea Paul. However, I can report that this doesn't work with the Touch
Old 12-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Thanks to all for their suggestions. You are a helpful bunch
I can report that a relatively painless factory reset combined with repeating the setup process on the Kobo desktop client solved the issue
Old 12-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #13
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
I've tried that and I didn't get double credit on my KT. It was a while back on a previous firmware version; let us know if you get different results.
Yes, I agree.. I think perhaps that every book you read gets added to the sqlite DB and even when you delete it a record remains on the DB so that if you should reload the book and re-read it it will not increment the books read count.. I think it may be a way that they were able to keep track of and implement the Total Recall award (though it doesn't seem to be active on the KT).
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote