Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
JenC
JenC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Borrowing Library Books and Syncing with Touch/iPhone

Hello everyone! I got my first eReader (Kobo Touch) a couple of months ago and have been really enjoying using it. I bought a few books, but for the most part I have been reading, and expect to continue reading, eBooks from my public library.

I have had a few issues syncing (i.e., getting the borrowed books to show up on my Kobo), but generally if I try it a few times it seems to work eventually.

My big issue, however, is that I'd really like to be able to sync my reading between the Kobo and my iPhone. I have the app installed but it doesn't show any of my borrowed books - just the few I have purchased or downloaded directly from the Kobo store. (Incidentally, this is also true of the Kobo desktop program - my borrowed books don't show up in it.)

Is this by design? I.e., is it not possible to have borrowed books on both devices due to digital rights? I'd love to have the option to read on my iPhone when I get stuck places without my Kobo, but I've never been able to get it to work and am thinking it's a "by design" problem.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jen
JenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I haven't found a way to get Adobe-DRMed books such as library books to show up on my iPhone/iPad Kobo app. I use Overdrive, which connects to the library and downloads them onto the iDevice after authenticating; it is a reading app.

(OK there is a way which is to remove DRM, then copy them to Dropbox and use "open with Kobo". But sideloaded ePubs don't sync)

The desktop app does not support ePubs. I use ADE on my computer.

Last edited by dmacmart; 09-06-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typo
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
The library books I borrow use ADE to manage them and not the Kobo bookshelf/cloud (which syncs bookmarks and keeps track of your books) so I don't think there is a way to load the books onto other devices other than sideloading them (which would require you taking off the DRM).
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Good luck with any iOS sync, I cannot get it to work, and Kobo keeps saying that they are working on it...
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I use the Overdrive app on my iPod, which is the app my library requires me to use, and unfortunately I don't think there's any way to sync reading between devices. I think even if I had an iPad with the same app installed, it would not sync bookmarks between iPod/iPad because it doesn't log into any kind of database to keep track of where you are in the book.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
Joywalker
Enthusiast
Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenC View Post
I have had a few issues syncing (i.e., getting the borrowed books to show up on my Kobo), but generally if I try it a few times it seems to work eventually.
I'm having trouble getting the library books to show on my Touch, even though I do see them on the ADE's Kobo Touch. Please kindly explain how do you do it.
Thanks!
Joywalker is offline   Reply With Quote