Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #91
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
I'm not sold on the bookshelf look. It might appeal to someone showing off their reader to others, but when it comes down to actually reading on the thing, I prefer a standard file browser and keeping my ebooks divided into my own folders.
Agree 100% with your opinion! That superfluous interface and lack of decent folder support is one of the reasons I dropped Aldiko some time ago. One other reason is Aldiko's extremely weak format support. Both of these reasons make CoolReader 3 a much better choice for me.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #92
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
I have to agree to (even though I'm very new with Cool Reader). The "bookshelf" type of picking books and even a library centric format is useless for me. I change what I read every day, 3-4 new proofs to read and yesterday's are deleted.
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #93
Buggins
Zealot
Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't like wooden bookshelves, too.
But author / series / title grouping and search - could be useful.
Buggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #94
fdis101
fdis101 began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 101
Not a big fan of bookshelfs I see. Then how about an option to change the background of the file browser? (I'm not a big fan of black and white).

I see that CR3 does support cover images in the file browser. But none of my epub-files is showing any cover images (the images is showing fine in Aldiko on my phone). What am I doing wrong?

Either way CR3 is still great with or without a bookshelf.

PS. In settings, I think "Hilight tap zone on tap" should be "Highlight tap zone on tap".
fdis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #95
Carl314
Enthusiast
Carl314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Motorola Droid with Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggins View Post
New version 3.0.41-5 uploaded to Market and SourceForge

It should support all features described above. If not, it's a bug.
Could you send me example with wrong formatting?
Buggins - here's the link to a sample small e-book where bold, hr, center etc, css features don't appear to work (and they do on Aldiko, Adobe Digital Editions, and caliber e-book viewer): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13349902/Test-small.epub

Thanks for looking into this.

Cheers, Carl.
Carl314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #96
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Wow... if I hadn't started to do almost all of my reading on my Kindle this looks like it would have replaced Aldiko, especially after the recent Aldiko update. Nice work!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #97
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I think coolreader needs a better way to set css override settings. Editing and putting epub.css file is understandable in eink readers but on android devices would it not be better if we can modify indent heading font size or style etc from inside coolreader.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #98
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I have just installed the latest version on my Chinese tablet. On first look I prefer it to Aldiko.

There is just one thing that I don't like. All my books are in ePub format and the thing I liked about Aldiko was the way that it respected Chapters and always started those on a new page. With CR3 it just dumps the chapter in the middle of a page. Is there anyway to sort this with CSS or is it more complex than that?
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #99
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
There is just one thing that I don't like. All my books are in ePub format and the thing I liked about Aldiko was the way that it respected Chapters and always started those on a new page. With CR3 it just dumps the chapter in the middle of a page. Is there anyway to sort this with CSS or is it more complex than that?
CoolReader also starts a new chapter on a new page, with the chapter title centered and bold, with the EPUBs that I have. So it is certainly no more complex than just having the correct formatting instructions in the CSS. I have page-break-before: always in my CSS for titles, so a page break always occurs just before a chapter title.

Code:
title, h1, h2 { text-align: center; text-indent: 0px; font-weight: bold; page-break-before: always; page-break-inside: avoid; page-break-after: avoid; }
Just in case it matters, I use my own EPUB.CSS located on the SD card in the \.cr3 folder.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #100
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
cr3-0-41-06

Issue:

The Table of Contents works on some books and not others?

In one book, I got page 1 on the right hand side for each and every chapter. The TofC for this book works fine on Aldiko and Moon+ Reader.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #101
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
CoolReader also starts a new chapter on a new page, with the chapter title centered and bold, with the EPUBs that I have. So it is certainly no more complex than just having the correct formatting instructions in the CSS. I have page-break-before: always in my CSS for titles, so a page break always occurs just before a chapter title.

Code:
title, h1, h2 { text-align: center; text-indent: 0px; font-weight: bold; page-break-before: always; page-break-inside: avoid; page-break-after: avoid; }
Just in case it matters, I use my own EPUB.CSS located on the SD card in the \.cr3 folder.
Thanks for that. I have just added it to my CSS without success so it looks like I will just have to live with it.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #102
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
Thanks for that. I have just added it to my CSS without success so it looks like I will just have to live with it.
Are you sure that your chapter titles are actually labeled correctly as titles inside your EPUB file? If your EPUBs were created by Calibre they may actually have some Calibre specific labels that could be different. In that case, the CSS code that I posted would do nothing at all.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #103
Valkrider
Addict

Dave_S, I think that must me the problem. Aldiko reads them perfectly but CR3 won't. I need to have a look and see if I can find out what Calibre calls the chapter tags
Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #104
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Buggins,

The formatting of the TXT files is very good. What specifically are you looking for to determine the chapter breaks, etc., and do you have anything in place to force a separate "title page" with the book name and author before the chapters begin?

I would like to know as I usually convert my various sources to TXT prior to reading and any tricks you may have in place for formatting would be good to know.

Thanks.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #105
Buggins
Zealot
Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Buggins,

The formatting of the TXT files is very good. What specifically are you looking for to determine the chapter breaks, etc., and do you have anything in place to force a separate "title page" with the book name and author before the chapters begin?

I would like to know as I usually convert my various sources to TXT prior to reading and any tricks you may have in place for formatting would be good to know.

Thanks.
There are several TXT formatting styles recognized by Cool Reader.
A few examples:
1) Preformatted text. Paragraphs are delimited by empty line or by first line indent. Headings are centered.
2) One paragrph per line. Headings delimited with empty lines.
3) Paragraphs delimited by empty line. Headings delimited by doble empty lines.
Buggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cool reader, fb2 epub rtf chm fbreader