Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
WARNING on JBL Firmware v.15G

I flashed from 15D to 15G yesterday, and wound up flashing back to D again. I should have evaluated G before posting that it was available, since Ectaco seems to have no quality control. It looks like the back flash was successful, but I have not done a full evaluation yet.

The problem with G, at least on my JBL, is that if you enter the machine from the main menu (Books Pictures Settings screen) and open a book, it has lost the page number where you left off, opening on page one, and it resets the font size to 16 no matter where you had it set. I did not need to look any further to see what else it does.

Nice work Ectaco! After waiting since the last firmware update in January, this is what we get.

Also I ran into this post where a user claims his unit froze on version D.

http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-posts/list/19895.page

D was supposed to be the version that fixed this problem. I have been using mine with D without issue, but now I don't trust it.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
I flashed from 15D to 15G yesterday, and wound up flashing back to D again. I should have evaluated G before posting that it was available, since Ectaco seems to have no quality control. It looks like the back flash was successful, but I have not done a full evaluation yet.

The problem with G, at least on my JBL, is that if you enter the machine from the main menu (Books Pictures Settings screen) and open a book, it has lost the page number where you left off, opening on page one, and it resets the font size to 16 no matter where you had it set. I did not need to look any further to see what else it does.

Nice work Ectaco! After waiting since the last firmware update in January, this is what we get.

Also I ran into this post where a user claims his unit froze on version D.

http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-posts/list/19895.page

D was supposed to be the version that fixed this problem. I have been using mine with D without issue, but now I don't trust it.
Mine did the same when I replaced the batteries, but not when I did a normal sleep 'off'

I might reflash it, but it probably isn't worth the effort for me.

Don't forget to report it to ectaco...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Ron46
Zealot

Right. If you are coming out of sleep it is OK. But when you change batteries (or do a reset) you have to re-enter the machine through the main menu and press Books. There is no other way. That is when it sets all books to page1, font 16. This is a major problem for any of us that read 3 or 4 books concurrently.

I think you are wasting your time doing a reflash of G.

The thing that scares me about this is the possibility of them coming up with an update with an issue like this and if flashing back to the previous release does not eliminate the problem. You will notice (if you've had yours long enough) that the G update has a Firmware folder but NO Data folder or Reflash NOR folder like in all the previous updates. So there is no telling WHAT they are capable of doing.

My family has 3 of these that I maintain, and now I am timid about doing any more firmware updates.

Last edited by Ron46; 06-29-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Right. If you are coming out of sleep it is OK. But when you change batteries (or do a reset) you have to re-enter the machine through the main menu and press Books. That is when it sets all books to page1, font 16. This is a major problem for any of us that read 3 or 4 books concurrently.

I think you are wasting your time doing a reflash of G.

The thing that scares me about this is the possibility of them coming up with an update with an issue like this and if flashing back to the previous release does not eliminate the problem. You will notice (if you've had yours long enough) that the G update has a Firmware folder but NO Data folder or Reflash NOR folder like in all the previous updates. So there is no telling WHAT they are capable of doing.
I meant re-flashing with d...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
The data and reflash folders are actually neither necessary nor even used in the firmware update process. They are handy to have in the case that you might need to reformat part of the jetBook via the system menu, but not strictly needed.

The Libre/new jetBook firmware with ADE always sets PDFs to reflow and ePUB's to a certain size. Now that is annoying as well!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
Ever thought that it might the fact that it's using a new app for epubs, and THATS why it lost the info when you flashed it? Sounds reasonable to me. I don't ever take it for granted when I flash firmware on anything that my data will be safe, so I always back it up, and for the JB's, I make sure to note what pages I was on in my books..

Or does it do it every time you change batteries? I know when I've flashed my wife's book before, I had problems with it loosing info, but I had wiped the book before doing the upgrade.

Last edited by heffe2001; 06-29-2010 at 10:40 PM.
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Quote:
Just for fun, or torture, I decided to test out G to see if I could duplicate this problem. Sure enough, if you return to the main menu and then go back to a book you've already opened it returns you to the first page of the book and the font size is reset to 16. I was on page 139 of a book with a font setting of 18 and when I returned to it after going to the main menu, my settings were lost. This was not just after the upgrade either. I had already turned the JBL off a few times while reading that book and then duplicated the results.

DO NOT UPGRADE TO G!!!! They broke something and didn't even improve on anything else. This is very, very poor quality control on the part of Ectaco! I need to make another 15 second video now letting everyone know that the JBL is great, but the quality control for upgrades STINKS! Also, how difficult is it to include release notes on the revision history for the upgrades?
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It would seem that Ectaco could benefit from following the standard practice of letting
the more adventurous users, Beta test their firmware updates. For them to get any
real benefit from the process they do need to provide "Release Notes", that detail the
new function(s) to be tested.

There could be a number of improvements in the 0.15g firmware, that we are unaware
of - just because we don't know to look for them. They could have improved the Power
Monitoring and made the JBL respond better to rechargeable batteries? Or addressed
the "flicker issue" some reported awhile back? But with no release notes, who would
know to check?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
Ron46
Zealot

Number-6 Thanks for confirming this. It's better for people to know about it than to change batteries and find out the hard way that you have lost all your places. I know that when I return to a book after a month has gone by because I got more involved in another book, if my place mark is lost, it can take quite a while to find it again.

Heffe- number-6 answered your question. I could live with anything after a firmware update if it only happens ONCE. But this update changes the fundamental operation of the device permanently, or at least until the next update which may be 6 months down the road like this one was.

Ken- I agree. There could be other improvements in this firmware that are great, but personally, I cannot live with this defect long enough to even look, because unless they fix it, I will never use ver. G. For me, one of the great features of this device (or any properly designed book reader) is that I can go out the door with a single unit reading a dozen books concurrently and not be carrying a suitcase with 12 books in it.

I started a parallel thread on Ectaco's website, if they have not taken it down by now, and you would not believe the lame excuses I am getting from the company rep.- "master reset". I guess if you can give it a high tec sounding name, it is not really a problem.

http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-posts/l...979.page#27712

Last edited by Ron46; 06-30-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-30-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It would seem that Ectaco could benefit from following the standard practice of letting
the more adventurous users, Beta test their firmware updates. For them to get any
real benefit from the process they do need to provide "Release Notes", that detail the
new function(s) to be tested.

There could be a number of improvements in the 0.15g firmware, that we are unaware
of - just because we don't know to look for them. They could have improved the Power
Monitoring and made the JBL respond better to rechargeable batteries? Or addressed
the "flicker issue" some reported awhile back? But with no release notes, who would
know to check?

Luck;
Ken
I agree. These notes will be very helpful. I have v15d version on my
jetBook-Lite and it works fine for me so I will wait with upgrade till Ectaco provide more information about changes.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #11
Ron46
Zealot

heffe-2001 I go a step further than you do on protecting data. I have my entire library on the 2GB flash drive and nothing in the reader's internal RAM. I have a 2d 2GB flashdrive that I use for firmware updates only (3 machines in the family). So I have to remove my library flash drive (and place it on the desk where it is safe, or even in another room) in order to insert the firmware flash drive. At $11 for an extra flash drive, it's worth it.

Also there has been a few times when the reader was acting up, so I just remove the library flash drive and hook it up to my computer at the much faster USB 2.0 (the reader is USB 1) and run chkdsk (with the repair switch) in Windows, or FSCK (repair) in Linux. It usually finds file system errors and fixes them. When I reinsert the flash drive into the reader, all the problems are gone.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
At least the guy "Jerry" seems to be more responsible and... shall we say... "literate" than the other Ectaco support folks.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote