Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-28-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thumbs up For Those Of You Worried About Privacy...

...you've lost that battle a long time ago without even knowing you were fighting in the war.

There was a previous thread about privacy that got derailed before I could add these two cents about the subject. Basically what I wanted to say was that those of you who are hesitant about buying a Kindle due to Amazon's privacy policy really need to know that any information Amazon can sell about you is probably already available from multiple other sources. So don't let that be the deciding factor regarding your purchase.

Those of you interested in exactly what information can be accessed easily about you should check out this video of a lecture by a private investigator. I found it very interesting, and confirmed a lot of what I suspected about what information is available out there.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6293369601334#
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
...you've lost that battle a long time ago without even knowing you were fighting in the war.

There was a previous thread about privacy that got derailed before I could add these two cents about the subject. Basically what I wanted to say was that those of you who are hesitant about buying a Kindle due to Amazon's privacy policy really need to know that any information Amazon can sell about you is probably already available from multiple other sources. So don't let that be the deciding factor regarding your purchase.

Those of you interested in exactly what information can be accessed easily about you should check out this video of a lecture by a private investigator. I found it very interesting, and confirmed a lot of what I suspected about what information is available out there.

Thanks... I'll watch it, when I have an hour to spare...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Steve Rambam put the finger on Amazon, Google, Paypal, Ebay, Skype, Myspace, Facebook, Yahoo, Monster, etc. Nice to know they're reading all my posts and emails, or monitoring my location, whenever I'm online. Dear officer: I did not run a red light at 10 PM tonight, because mobileread detected I was reading a forum post. Can I get an alibi?

Good post, Xanthe. I hope you don't get accused of wearing a tin foil hat by Amazon worshipper. LOL.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Hmm it seems like the bots he's talking about that search and store information and then sell it are violating your copyrights on any information you happen to type. Class action lawsuit for massive DMCA violations anyone? I didn't make these stupid copyright laws why not show the government exactly what kind of genie they let out of the bottle.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Steve Rambam put the finger on Amazon, Google, Paypal, Ebay, Skype, Myspace, Facebook, Yahoo, Monster, etc. Nice to know they're reading all my posts and emails, or monitoring my location, whenever I'm online. Dear officer: I did not run a red light at 10 PM tonight, because mobileread detected I was reading a forum post. Can I get an alibi?

Good post, Xanthe. I hope you don't get accused of wearing a tin foil hat by Amazon worshipper. LOL.
I never said they didn't do data collection. they cannot look at stuff not purchased from Amazon on a Kindle. XXXXX.

and thanks for the dig on the name. it came about more or less as a joke. which you would know if you bothered to pay attention

Last edited by Patricia; 03-28-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Edited for language that contravenes our posting guidelines.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
We've had a number of complaints about the language in the post above, so I've edited it to comply with our posting guidelines. Personal insults are not on. Feel free to disagree with ideas, preferably in a courteous way.

Last edited by Patricia; 03-28-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Dear officer: I did not run a red light at 10 PM tonight, because mobileread detected I was reading a forum post. Can I get an alibi?
Sorry, you could have been texting from the driver's seat. Pay the laddie at the door.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
We've had a number of complaints about the language in the post above, so I've edited it to comply with our posting guidelines. Personal insults are not on. Feel free to disagree with ideas, preferably in a courteous way.
but insulting me is ok? nice!!!!!

and for the record, I didn't even swear. gotta love the double standards around here.

Last edited by kindlekitten; 03-28-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
But that would be freedom of speech surely. Aren't you quite keen on that? Or is that only for you?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
But that would be freedom of speech surely. Aren't you quite keen on that? Or is that only for you?
no, I'm the one that gets censored.

never mind.

I'm done
Old 03-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
no, I'm the one that gets censored.

never mind.

I'm done
I'm not necessarily agreeing with the censorship of your post. However, to respond to that by calling for more censorship seems anomalous from somebody whose signature line extols the virtues of free speech.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:

Personally, I'm a big fan of Amazon; I'm one of their Vine Reviewers. I've also been putting reviews and lists up there for years. I've never bought any underwear from them so they don't know the color of that, but I imagine they know just about everything else.

They've taken a lot of my money over the years and will continue to do so in the future. I knew going in that my purchases would be in a database forever, and would probably be sold. I've reached an age where I refuse to be ashamed or embarassed by anything I do or have done; there are too many other things in life to angst over.

If I had a Kindle, I wouldn't worry about them knowing what non-Kindle files I had on it, as kindlekitten has pointed out, since their access is limited to the data purchased from them. Nor would I worry about them sucking back my purchases; what happened was an isolated incident affecting a very limited number of purchasers, and their payments were refunded. To me that is not a big deal. Besides, if I consider a book important enough, I'm going to buy the physical book, not an ebook.

Besides, if I was putting sensitive documents or work documents on a reader, I would make sure that they were encrypted first, and if the reader doesn't support encryption, I wouldn't use it for such a purpose - I'd use a netbook instead.

It just seems to me, from reading various posts on the forum - and not singling out any posters because I don't know any of you very well - that some people get caught up with the minutia of privacy issues, not realizing that the point is really moot.

For those interested, there is a part two of that video available on Google Videos.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:

Yeahbut. You see, all of these privacy fears can be readily solved by a judicious application of .45 caliber copper-jacketed lead to the head of each and every CEO and senior staff who chooses to invade personal privacy that way.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Simply because you chose to "hang your ass out online" doesn't mean everyone chooses to, and each and every single instance remains a multiple to the risk of your personal data being compromised. Some of us are perfectly aware of the issues, despite what I'm afraid I can only call propaganda otherwise.

Look: Overly broad privacy policies are, in general, a warning sign, and it costs very little for a company to fix them. There is nothing in the Amazon Kindle user agreement which states that they only store information about items they've sold you, if they can only technically do that, then why not put that in the user agreement?

It's hardly a moot point for anyone who's even marginally sensitive to privacy issues in general. It's a great way for a company to show their cooperation with the community, for starters, by having a sensible and limited privacy policy!

Quote:
any information Amazon can sell about you is probably already available from multiple other sources. So don't let that be the deciding factor regarding your purchase.
So do you respond to unsubscribe addresses on spam? I mean, by your reasoning you shouldn't be worried about doing so.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

and for the record, I didn't even swear. gotta love the double standards around here.
No one should be insulting anyone. The rules apply to all.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote