Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-19-2007, 03:21 AM   #1
pitolee
Connoisseur
pitolee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Book Designer - Links underline just ONE word?

Have tried creating links and succeeded. However, the links underline only the first word in the sentence - or just the chapter number.

I tried to carefully select the whole sentence, as described in HarryT's tutorial, and it looked nice in BD and in RTF, but when I converted to LRS it underlined just one word or one number. Ex:

1 . The Beginning of This Story
or
1. The Beginning of This Story

The end result I'm looking for, in both the Table of Contents and in the Chapter Titles should look like this:

I can't figure out how to do this...Is there a way to create a multi-word underlined link?
pitolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's just the way it works, I think. If you look at my books you'll see they show the same thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I posted this same question in another thread, at least we get a simple answer here. Perhaps some Russian speaking forum member can pose this question in the originating forum to see if we can get an answer from there (I also asked why the meta-tags are not working properly, with no response as of yet).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitolee
Have tried creating links and succeeded. However, the links underline only the first word in the sentence - or just the chapter number.

I tried to carefully select the whole sentence, as described in HarryT's tutorial, and it looked nice in BD and in RTF, but when I converted to LRS it underlined just one word or one number. Ex:

1 . The Beginning of This Story
or

The end result I'm looking for, in both the Table of Contents and in the Chapter Titles should look like this:

I can't figure out how to do this...Is there a way to create a multi-word underlined link?
It is hapenning because BD creates two-way links which are adjusted for the notes where there is a sence to underline the first word only. But developing this approach, I did not think that the users will create an additional TOC because the Reader has its own .

Well, the reality turned out more complicated, so the algorithm has to be adjusted to it. It can be done in the following ways:

1. To skip the underlying of the linked titles.
2. To skip the back links in the titles (it wiil skip the underlying also).
3. To underline titles completely.

So, tell me what one do you want, and I will do it when I have a time.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
pitolee
Connoisseur

First of all, thank you thank you thank you vvv for the fantastic tool!

I like the two way links, and was thinking that if it just underlined whatever i selected it would be nicest.

Say i wanted to link to a definition of a word - i could just select the word and make it a note and link to definition.

Or say i just wanted to do a common footnote 1 - i could just select the number and make it a link to the citation.

Or say I wanted to make a listing of the contents of a complicated chapter, then I would like to be able to select the entire section title and have it show up like that 1. First Section

So I guess for me it would be nice to have the link be as long as whatever we select...

But that's just me. I'm sure HarryT and the rest of the more experienced users can make better contributions.

Again, thanks for the excellent tool!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
pitolee
Connoisseur

Tried out the TOC function, and it also does the same thing - only underlines the first character/word of the title in the link. While this works, it would be nicer to have the links be as long as the chapter title or whatever we select...

That's just me, though, and it has been suggested that I may be a tad too perfectionistic..
Old 04-20-2007, 02:24 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would like to see the text that I select in BD as the link - ie the text that shows up "underlined" in BD - also be underlined as a link on the Reader, if that's possible.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #8
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I would like to see the text that I select in BD as the link - ie the text that shows up "underlined" in BD - also be underlined as a link on the Reader, if that's possible.
I have made some experiments. Unfortunately the restrictions (or not very smart development) of lrf-format do not allow some thigs. For example, the underlying of the first word in a paragraph with the indent: Reader always underlies not only the word but the indent also
Look, for example, on this (sorry, I have no time to make it in english):
BD

Reader
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's OK. Still a great improvement over the way it works now .
Old 04-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I suppose you can manually delete the indenting spaces, if you like ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
Yaksha
Yaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I suppose you can manually delete the indenting spaces, if you like ....
I tried that, it put them back in after converting to an LRF.
Yaksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have found that even if I delete the leading spaces BD follows the format specification of the Maek eBooks|Sony Reader|Styles tab. I like it that way as it prevents us from deleting a space or two by accident and not catching it until it is too late.

Keep the extra spaces in the link, just do not change the way BD forces each paragraph formatting the same even if we delete a few spaces here and there.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
I've noticed that this is true in every Connect-bought book I've bought so far, also.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan
I've noticed that this is true in every Connect-bought book I've bought so far, also.
Not having bought any books from Connect myself, that's actually reassuring to know. I was wondering how the books we were creating ourselves compared, "quality wise", with the commercial ones.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #15
Yaksha
Yaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
I was playing around with some other LRF creators and I noticed that BBeB Binder does a TOC just fine.

Click for big

It also creates the TOC for you, you just have to format each chapter line has Heading. No going through and using the Notes and Links. Although this does not have "return links" like BD. To each his own I guess.
Yaksha is offline   Reply With Quote