Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
taltman711
taltman711 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My problem with kindlefix

Hi,
I am having a problem getting a book to open after running kindlefix.py. Perhaps you all could review what I have done and tell me if I have made an error.
1. I obtained the PID using the kindlepid.py script. I verified the PID by using Mobireader 6.0 on Win XP. They were the same-- so far so good.
2. I dowloaded a free book from Harper Collins--Serpent Bride-- in the .prc format.

content modified on Amazon's request

4. A file was successfully generated called SerpentBride.azw. I transferred this to my Kindle and it is recognized by the Kindle albeit with a jumbled title.
5. When I attempt to open the book, I get the message saying that the selected item could not be opened and referring me to the Manage Your Kindle page at Amazon.
6. I have double checked the serial number, the PID, and run the kindlefix script multiple times, always getting the same error message. I can open all other books I have downloaded. This is my first attempt to open a kindlefix book, however.
Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 03-12-2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: post content modified on Amazon's request
taltman711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sorry, but I'm less than useless when it comes to these kinds of things. However, I do want to say "Welcome" and I'm sure smarter minds than mine will be posting some suggestions soon.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'm not an expert in this but I'm wondering if the free book had DRM on it at all.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
taltman711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'm not an expert in this but I'm wondering if the free book had DRM on it at all.
I tried to open it without kindlefix, but I got a different message that it was not able to be opened, although the Kindle did recognize it with the title intact.

Tim
Old 05-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Everything I see on the web site for that free book (i.e. in their help section about mobipocket format) says that you need to plug your PID into your mobipocket software, which is what does the download. I imagine that it encodes with that PID then.

Since I'm on a Mac, I can't run the computer end software, so I can't get books that way. Anybody else down load this already, and can give us more insight?

ADDED: in the original thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23470
TheLongShot is having problems with the mobipocket version too. You might ask over there. If there is NO DRM, you don't need your Kindle PID. Just read it!

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 05-07-2008 at 06:33 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Most free ebooks have no DRM, but based on the download page this one is probably a standard "secure" (DRM-laden) MOBI ebook. So, your Kindle PID must be registered (type it into the appropriate web page) with Harper Collins and the ebook downloaded again once it has been registered. Their FAQ says you can register 3 PIDs. Note that many sites don't accept Kindle PIDs, so this still may not work - but if so it should fail when you try to register the PID.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
taltman711

Thanks so far for the replies. Harper Collins did require a PID to download, which I supplied. However, the book will not open in my Kindle. I also downloaded it with the PID for my computer, and it opened just fine in Mobiread. It will not open in my Kindle before or after running it thru kindlefix. I assumed that I was doing something incorrectly using kindlefix.py. Perhaps the different format of the Kindle PID is not being recognized by Harper Collins, even though it will allow me to download. Has anyone else successfully downloaded this book, run it through kindlefix and opened it in their Kindle? If so, then I must be doing something wrong.

Tim