Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
mummycjlb
mummycjlb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Help Touch Screen problem

HI, I have had my touch for about 2 months, I have had the screen look like there is text over text, over text, but it always has worked it self out. Today I read for a while then put it away, I picked it up to read this evening and when I powered on the screen went totally white, then split down the middle with one side white and one side dark. The lights are lit, but I can't connect, do a basic reset or anything. The screen is just staying this way. Any ideas??????
mummycjlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hold down the power button for 10 seconds. Wait for a bit, then power the device on while holding down the home button. This should initiate a factory reset. It might take a couple of tries since it's a bit tricky.

Make sure you hold down the power button for 10 seconds before each attempt since you want to make sure the device is powered down completely before attempting a hardware factory reset.

Last edited by SameerH; 08-17-2011 at 02:03 PM.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
It might take a couple of tries since it's a bit tricky.
Through some experimentation I think I have discovered what the trick is to initiate a factory reset:
1) power off the Touch, then,
2) move the power slider to the right and release it WHILE holding down the Home button, and,
3) release the power slider quickly

If successful, the LED light will turn red and the factory reset will commence.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #4
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hold down the power button for 10 seconds. Wait for a bit, then power the device on while holding down the power button.
SameerH: Did you mean "while holding down the home button"?
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
mummycjlb
mummycjlb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch

Now that I am thinking more clearly, I have taken a photo of the screen. I tried your factory resets multiple times and the screen just stays the same. I am not even sure if it is on or off now, a blue light flashes but that is all...I am going to call the 800# on the website when they open...but I think I am SOL...
Attached Images

mummycjlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
That looks like major physical damage, and it looks like something that should be covered by warranty. Try to get the replacement process started.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
yep that's definitely a busted screen where did you buy your kobo? if you got it from chapters try taking it back and they should replace it for you with no problems. If not phone the 800 number and they should facilitate a new unit for you...it may take a few days which sucks but you should end up with a sparkly new kobo with a working screen.
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistos View Post
SameerH: Did you mean "while holding down the home button"?
yes I did! sorry. fixed.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote