Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
iOS 5 kills Stanza Reader App

I recently updated my iPhone to the new iOS5.

And found out that iOS5 killed off Stanza!

From here:

Quote:
... I grudgingly, reluctantly began using Stanza by Lexcycle. And I also found Calibre, an amazing ebook management tool that Stanza could seamlessly connect to and download from, and the combination was everything I wanted.

[snip]

It connected easily to online catalogs like Gutenberg and Baen, and even let me add my own catalogs from other URLs or my own Calibre library with a minimum of fuss and an absence of wires. I loved it.

I also am not exaggerating when I say that when I upgraded to iOS5 this morning, my displeasure at finding out that Stanza no longer works was epic, loud and very likely offensive in a family setting. Just error after error, no way to open a book, nothing. Imagine a heroin user being told that needles don't work any more and he'd have to find another way to get the stuff into his veins, and you'd have the general idea.

A quick Google search revealed this was a known problem among beta-testers and that there is very likely no update coming since a) Amazon bought Lexcycle and doesn't really have any motivation to improve their competing product and b) the developers no longer work for Amazon anyway. I hope I'm wrong and it updates anyway, but now I have to find another ebook reader, and this is going to be tough because I've tried them all as they come out and not a single one combines the features I want as elegantly as Stanza, an app that hasn't had a significant update in two years.

[SNIP]

I'd love to hear suggestions for replacements, or reasons why I'm wrong, or ways to emulate Stanza functionality. And I hope I'm wrong and Stanza gets an update. For one thing I wouldn't have to reload 300 books on this thing.

R.I.P Stanza. We read a lot of good books together.
http://www.everythingabouttablets.ne...anza-on-ios-5/
http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/catalog...touch-and-ipad

Dang it! I used Stanza every day, too.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I wonder if this is because apps can only store data in the tmp folders now? I was just this second reading about this issue with regards to Instapaper.

http://gizmodo.com/5849798/how-ios-5...r-offline-apps

eP
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I'm not really sure but the devs for Megareader/Quickreader are trying to set themselves up to catch all of the now adrift Stanza users (like me). At $1.99 I just might try it myself.

From here:

Quote:
Patrick Thompson 5 days ago
I'm the developer of QuickReader and MegaReader.

MegaReader is indeed a variant of QuickReader, without the speed reading functions.

I would love to hear what key features you think would make QuickReader and MegaReader better replacements for Stanza. I'll make some promo codes available for a limited time (and while they last), if you would like to try out one of the apps and give some feedback.

You can find my contact info at www.megareader.net/contact or www.quickreader.net/contact.

Patrick Thompson
Inkstone Software

[UPDATE: Thanks everyone for your support! I've given out over 50 promo codes in the past 2 days and have received some great feedback, both on this forum and via e-mail. Unfortunately I am all out of promo codes. But, feel free to contact me directly, if you have any suggestions. -Patrick]
Old 10-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I wonder if this is because apps can only store data in the tmp folders now? I was just this second reading about this issue with regards to Instapaper.

http://gizmodo.com/5849798/how-ios-5...r-offline-apps

eP
I think it's just because the developer decided to stop supporting Stanza and so didn't upgrade it to make it compatible with ios5. Other e-book programs work fine.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please continue the discussion in the very lengthy thread that already exists on the subject:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145767

Thanks.

Advert
Closed Thread