Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
morpheusdreamin
morpheusdreamin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Question Kobo eReader vs Kobo Wireless eReader

I've been looking into eReaders and have seen all sorts of options, but after finding out about the Kobo I was very keen to try one out. I loved the idea of a simple eReader that just worked with epubs. However, I didn't see the need for a wifi enabled version so I picked up a Kobo eReader for $98 from Wal-Mart Canada in Edmonton, Alberta.

On taking it home, it appears to be a returned machine - it had a bunch of books associated with someone's gmail address. I performed a factory reset and checked the version:
Software Version: 1.8.2 (r22616, Dec 21 2010)
Revision: 99

I loaded the desktop application and sync'd the device. It appears to have the 4 books from Wal-Mart loaded into the library on the desktop application.

I put an 8Gb SDHC card into the eReader and it recognises it. I placed some eBooks on the card and I could read them.

I am happy with the page turn speed and the refresh rate. It is a shame I received a returned unit, but I guess that serves me right for not inspecting the device before I got it.

My comments:
So far, I love it. It's small, functional, and does what it says on the tin - reads epubs, and reads them easily. The page turn speed is good. I wish the boot time was a little faster, but I have nothing to compare it to, because this is my first ebook reader. It processes new content on the SDHC card a little slowly but it accesses it nice and fast. Overall I am very pleased with the feel of the device.

My questions to the assembled experts and enthusiasts:
1. What are the advantages of the wifi version over the standard version? I
would consider returning my current version and upgrading if there is
suitable justification.

2. Will Kobo implement a dictionary feature at some point? I'm not looking
for a date, I'm just interested to know.

3. Will Kobo implement a method of keeping multiple bookmarks at some point?
Continuing from where I last read is enough for now.

4. Will Kobo support annotation / notes at some point?

5. Why do my 100 free books not appear on my desktop application?

6. Why do my books on my SDHC card not appear on my desktop application?
morpheusdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheusdreamin View Post
1. What are the advantages of the wifi version over the standard version? I
would consider returning my current version and upgrading if there is
suitable justification.
Faster CPU, computer-less purchasing from Kobo book store.

Quote:
2. Will Kobo implement a dictionary feature at some point? I'm not looking
for a date, I'm just interested to know.
That firmware version already has dictionary support. It only works for Kobo-purchased/format books however. Adobe Digital Edition managed books (EPUB) use a different renderer that doesn't support the dictionary.

Quote:
3. Will Kobo implement a method of keeping multiple bookmarks at some point?
Continuing from where I last read is enough for now.
It's a common request. Hopefully Kobo will respond to it in a future update.

Quote:
4. Will Kobo support annotation / notes at some point?
The iPad version of their software already does. Maybe we'll see this on eInk devices but I suspect text entry would be quite tedious with the inherent slow refresh rate of the display.

Quote:
5. Why do my 100 free books not appear on my desktop application?

6. Why do my books on my SDHC card not appear on my desktop application?
The sync is one-way - computer to eReader. The desktop comes with it's own selection of free books too. Note all the 100 are public domain books, so if you really want, you can download them all for free from the Kobo book store.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
It's small, functional, and does what it says on the tin - reads epubs, and reads them easily.
Wait, yours came in a tin? I got gipped.

Some of your questions are absolutely unanswerable at this point as only the Kobo gods could possibly know (and many of us doubt those gods very existence!). However, I can say that the Kobo Wi Fi model is the new model and I would expect any truly amazing enhancements to the Kobo experience will henceforth be directed at this device and not the previous model (or at least eventually). So, if you want to future proof yourself a wee bit and line up for dramatic improvements (if they happen, 'member what I said about doubt) then the Wi Fi model is the model to have.

Also, you in no way have to use the Wi Fi. It is disabled by default and stays out of your way with gusto.

Also, there is a dictionary feature (as others point out) but it is only useful on books downloaded through the Desktop app (basically useless, but occasionally).

They haven't even gotten around to adding a painfully and tormentingly obvious Goto page feature for our dirty little eReaders, so "insert chocolate covered diety of preference" only knows what they are actually doing up there in Canada!?

By the way, Welcome, welcome! to this place we are all trapped in.

Last edited by Anthem; 01-26-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
morpheusdreamin

Thanks for the welcome! I took my original version back today and switched it out for a nice, fast wireless version. It's much faster for page turns, and it was very nice to have an unopened box.

I have asked the Kobo gods in an email the same questions, so we'll see what happens. I'd LOVE a goto page option!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
We're working on it!

Unfortunately can't say when it'll be out
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #6
morpheusdreamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
We're working on it!
Knowing that you're working on it is good enough for me!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Congrats! on your Kobo Wi Fi. Even though there are things to complain about (as with any electronic) we all seem to fall in love with our little quilted-back wonder machines!
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, new user