Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
muntesco
muntesco began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 622
video on PB touch ?????

Hy, I am a happy user of PB Touch 622.
As a curiosity only, would it be possible to create/integrate a video player in PocketBook browser, or as a separate application. I know that the quality of internet browsing with e-book is useless, but at least sometimes it would be nince to listen and watch something.

thanks
muntesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
jtt
Connoisseur
jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: PB 622, PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by muntesco View Post
Hy, I am a happy user of PB Touch 622.
As a curiosity only, would it be possible to create/integrate a video player in PocketBook browser, or as a separate application. I know that the quality of internet browsing with e-book is useless, but at least sometimes it would be nince to listen and watch something.
I fear most of this is impossible. At least concerning videos I'm rather sure the e-ink screen is much too slow to display them. Playing audio is, of course, possible. Integrating this into the exisiting browser probably won't be possible - the browser can't be modified and I'm rather sceptical that it allows use of external modules. So all left from your proposal seem to be playing audio from some internet source, using an external application. That, at least in principle, sounds possible - but I don't know if anyone has attempted to use the sound system and, possibly worse, I don't know if a "normal user" has the necessary permissions to access the device files involved when playing audio. I've never paid much attention to how audio works on Linux systems, so all I could do was having a short look at the stuff in the /dev directory: there are four entries with names that may indicate that they're involved - 'audio', 'dsp', 'mixer' and 'sound'. All except 'mixer' can be used by "normal users" while the permissions for 'mixer' only allow access by 'root'. Perhaps somone with more experience of the Linux audio system than me can tell if these permissions are sufficient. If they are it might be possible to modify some existing application to play audio from a source accessible via WLAN.

Regards, Jens

Last edited by jtt; 10-07-2013 at 05:53 PM.
jtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert