Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just bought "The Way of Kings" [Brandon Sanderson] - Should I read it?

Welllllll, of course, I'll read this book by Brandon Sanderson!

The question is this:

How good is it? -- There's a lot of positive posts at Amazon.

The second novel in the series just came out and that's actually what got my attention.

That second volume is pretty doggone expensive.....and if it's THAT expensive, then it must be good! --- That's all I'm saying!

Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Why couldn't it have come out 3 or 4 days earlier when the 90%off coupon was active?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Why couldn't it have come out 3 or 4 days earlier when the 90%off coupon was active?

Good question!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's big. It's so very, very big.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
It has been sitting on my Kobo for a year now and I haven't read it. (Bought it for $2.99)The 2nd book in the series is out and still expensive, so maybe I'll wait another year, but it will be there and I will read it eventually!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Just bought "The Way of Kings" [Brandon Sanderson] - Should I read it?
Well, if you thought it was worth buying, why wouldn't you read it?

Why not make a start and see how you get on with it?

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I will wait for book 2 to be greatly reduced in price before getting it. I really liked the first one (and later purchased it on sale), but given the time lag and the length of the series, I want to be able to read them at least somewhat close together. I don't want to re-read the first book 10 times before the last book comes out since I like to re-read the preceding books in a series if it has been more than a year since my last read.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Well, if you thought it was worth buying, why wouldn't you read it?

Why not make a start and see how you get on with it?

Mike

You do realize I used these little critters below, don't you?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I will wait for book 2 to be greatly reduced in price before getting it. I really liked the first one (and later purchased it on sale), but given the time lag and the length of the series, I want to be able to read them at least somewhat close together. I don't want to re-read the first book 10 times before the last book comes out since I like to re-read the preceding books in a series if it has been more than a year since my last read.

Do you know how many there will be in this projected series?
Old 03-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ten. That's always been the proposed number, anyway.

Never understood how anybody could possibly know ahead of time that their story will take ten books to tell properly. Seems so arbitrary, and dare I say ... markety? Say it starts to feel like he could easily wrap it up in eight books, does he start stretching? Or go ahead and finish in eight?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
His books are big enough he could split a few to reach 10 if he had to (publisher's agreement or something forcing 10? I don't know.)

Makes me think of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy. Each of the three books was over 1000 pages.....later on they split each book and sold it as a 6 separate books. So you got half the content for almost the same price.

I really like Brandon Sanderson's work and I bought The Way of Kings last year when it was a Kindle deal. I won't read it until a few more books are out in the series though. I would rather have the series be close to done before I start.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
His books are big enough he could split a few to reach 10 if he had to (publisher's agreement or something forcing 10? I don't know.)
I won't read it until a few more books are out in the series though. I would rather have the series be close to done before I start.
They are rather daunting aren't they? I think TWOK was 1280 pages or so?

I agree about waiting for a series to be well along before reading it, but I do like to make an exception for the first book - if it turns out to be something I don't want to continue I don't want to be anticipating it and collecting as the series is released and then be disappointed when I finally start it. If I like the first enough to continue, I may wait until others are released and then start over.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
They are rather daunting aren't they? I think TWOK was 1280 pages or so?

I agree about waiting for a series to be well along before reading it, but I do like to make an exception for the first book - if it turns out to be something I don't want to continue I don't want to be anticipating it and collecting as the series is released and then be disappointed when I finally start it. If I like the first enough to continue, I may wait until others are released and then start over.
That's probably a better strategy but I'm going on faith in Sanderson and the already good reviews for The Way of Kings.

I will only be buying book 1 of Malazan however, instead of the 10 book omnibus just in case I don't like it.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I really like Brandon Sanderson's work and I bought The Way of Kings last year when it was a Kindle deal. I won't read it until a few more books are out in the series though. I would rather have the series be close to done before I start.
I too bought it when it was on sale and haven't read it yet. And I'm not buying the second at it's current price. If he really is going to put out 10 volumes, there's plenty of time for the price to fall. And I've still got 9 Malazan books yet to read.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #15
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
According to his blog there will be 2 5-book arcs. Next 3 (ie the rest of the first arc) will be released every 18-24 months then a gap of 3 or 4 years before arc 2 starts. Or something like that anyway!
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote