Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yes, yes, and yes.
Thank you! Subscriptions was my main concern. I've been so busy over the holiday season that I haven't had a chance to stop by B&N to try out the read-in-store feature yet!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #17
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Is this the only B&N functionality that you lose if you root? Do magazine and newspaper subscriptions still download properly? Can you still shop the store, download samples & purchase books fine? Thanks in advance!
I think you may also lose in-store coupons. In the past they have offered free brownies, free chocolates, free smoothies and 50% discounts on Nook accessories. But if Read-In-Store isn't important to you then the loss of the bonus coupons probably isn't either (and you might be able to convince a clerk to give you the discount just for showing the Nook if you know what the current coupons are).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
I think you may also lose in-store coupons. In the past they have offered free brownies, free chocolates, free smoothies and 50% discounts on Nook accessories. But if Read-In-Store isn't important to you then the loss of the bonus coupons probably isn't either (and you might be able to convince a clerk to give you the discount just for showing the Nook if you know what the current coupons are).
Thanks, zartemis. I'm a long time e-ink user but new to the B&N ereaders. I think at the moment the NC doesn't have in-store coupons like the Nook, is that correct? Are the in-store coupons just for sweets and smoothies? I'm not too interested in those, but I would like coupons for tea or coffee. Do they ever have coupons for books and other products, or are they just limited to Nook accessories?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
You don't get that on the NookColor anyway.

The manager at my local BN informed me that they are to give ALL Nook owners freebies if they show a Nook, and they have a code on the register that they can scan. It's done this way precisely because the NC doesn't display coupons.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #20
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
You don't get that on the NookColor anyway.
Ah, right you are. A BN engineer on the official Nook forums says they are working on a similar program for the NookColor, though, so maybe in the future ...
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #21
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
It's looking like restore build.prop to stock isn't going to "fix" the instore access stuff... someone in the xda thread tried this already and it didn't work for him... back to the drawing board...

[EDIT]
Here's the post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=90
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 01-05-2011 at 12:20 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #22
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
It's looking like restore build.prop to stock isn't going to "fix" the instore access stuff... someone in the xda thread tried this already and it didn't work for him... back to the drawing board...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
donob10
donob10 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Scion
..Thanks for the clarification. I think, looking back, that rooted nook classics don't support "free in store reading" either. Since rooting I noticed the lack, but hadn't made the connection.
..Is it a real connection? Or have my last visits been a fluke?
..I still like the trade off.
donob10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #24
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
I knew this before rooting but I only go into the store on weekends. It's nice but I cant get much read in that short of time. I use the sample function if I'm interested in a book and, if so, buy it. The world rooting opens up is used during the other 165 hours of the week. OK, well, not when I'm sleeping so that's... 116 hours minus those working hours I can't sneak read, so....

Well. It's better rooted.
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote