Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Khepera93
Khepera93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi Proxy

I am trying to find the string that needs to be altered to use the Kindle Keyboard on a wi-fi network without first going through Amazon's proxy server.

I don't want to use, nor do I care about, 3G network. Just want to use the experimental browser without filtering through Amazon proxy.

In case it helps, I believe the firmware is Kindle 3.3, and I have done a jailbreak, and also installed USBnetworking and can successfully SSH into the file system using WinSCP. I do not know Linux; I am running Windows 7 on my laptop.

Any questions or clarification necessary, please feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, or for pointing me in the right direction. I've been searching around on the boards for the past few days, and haven't found anything (that I understood) that would help out.
Khepera93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
How do you know that it is being filtered through an Amazon proxy server in the first place? I've not heard of that, except when using the Silk browser on a Fire.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you don't get an answer here, ask in the Kindle Developer's Corner and you'll likely get help.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Khepera93

I guess I do not *know* for certain, to answer your question.

In lieu of actual registration, I am using a "spoofed" registration info in order to use collections. However, if I even turn the Wi-Fi on, the registration info disappears/resets and I am no longer able to use collections.

I guess I'm hoping not to have to make the choice between collections and using the web browser on Wi-Fi. I understand why Amazon does not allow people to use the 3G without registering, but I'm just trying to use regular wi-fi for browsing.

*Edit* The unit connects just fine to the internet on Wi-Fi, that's not the problem. I'm able to browse, and connect via WiFi to my Calibre library, etc. It just resets my registration info, which would seem to indicate to me that somehow it is "contacting" Amazon's servers as soon as I turn the WiFi on. Maybe I'm using the wrong word with "Proxy."

Last edited by Khepera93; 02-07-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 02-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You certainly are. Proxying has a very specific meaning; it means that all IP traffic is routed through a different server. When you connect, it always contacts Amazon's servers in case you have something to be downloaded, etc. That doesn't mean that all web traffic is being proxied.
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Khepera93

Ok, thanks, Susan.

Then I guess my question is "How do I keep it from contacting Amazon's servers" as I don't wish to download anything from them, and at the same time prevent it from resetting my registration information?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard

It will only reset your registration if you have changed the registration on the Kindle.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why don't you just register the Kindle in the normal way? That way you won't have any problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You certainly are. Proxying has a very specific meaning; it means that all IP traffic is routed through a different server. When you connect, it always contacts Amazon's servers in case you have something to be downloaded, etc. That doesn't mean that all web traffic is being proxied.
Had to read this post a couple times. Must be tired. I almost thought it said that all traffic is filtered through Amazon.

Had me worried for a moment.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote