Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
Kobo touch memory?

im planning to purchase a Kobo touch as a christmas present for my daughter (Lilic colour) but im getting confused over the question of exactly how much internal memory it comes with 1GB or 2GB, there seems to be differing opinions from various sellers.

I suppose an older version could have had 1GB and a newer 2GB but how to tell the differance. there is a good price at the moment from WH smith here in the UK but they seem to be branded as 1GB so is that an older or different model from the 2GB version and how am i to tell the differance.

help!
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Every Kobo Touch has 2GB of memory, but the system takes up almost half of that.
So you have a little more than 1GB of space for all your books. The rest is reserved
for the system.

Some sellers tell you how much memory there is overall, which is 2GB, while others
tell you how much space you have to put your books, which is 1GB. But in the end
it's all the same.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The Kobo Touch has 2GB internal memory. Of that memory, a little more then half is available to store books. (The tech specs say that 1GB is available to store books, but that's a conservative estimate.)

To my knowledge there is no such thing as a Touch with only 1GB internal memory. I think it's the software/storage split that has you confused.

Don't forget that the Touch can use SD cards, so with a cheap little 2GB card you can increase book storage by over double. (A 2GB card gives about 1.8GB of space after formatting.) 2.1.5 firmware has pretty good SD card support from what I've heard around here.

I have a Touch myself and highly recommend it. If you're in Canada you might even be able to get a $20 gift card for free with your $99 Touch. I'd keep an eye on Chapters.ca if you can.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
IIRC, there is 2GB memory, with about 1.4GB available to the user.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I believe both the Touch and the Glo have 2 GB onboard storage, of which 1 GB is available for storing books (the rest is used by the device itself). Both can be expanded to 32 GB with a SD card (Touch) or micro SD card (Glo).

Touch specifications
Glo specifications

In my opinion, at £99, the Glo is worth the extra £20, because it has a built-in front-light.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thank you for the quick replies. im now quite satisfied on my purchase.

on a side note i googled the question only to find this page was number seven on googles list. i wouldnt have expected that

not sure about the glo shellshock are not some people having problems with screen shading also the battery life would be less surely

Last edited by dogsballs; 11-20-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
IIRC, there is 2GB memory, with about 1.4GB available to the user.
This. It shows you how much you have left under Settings->Device Information. First entry is "Onboard Storage" and it should show "### MB of 1400 MB" (with the ### being how much is being used by books). As of firmware v2.1.5 on the Touch. It can vary for other models, of course.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
The screen is great, I don't have any problems with shading, and the light does not seem to affect the battery life much.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
The screen is great, I don't have any problems with shading, and the light does not seem to affect the battery life much.
I have to agree with this. My battery life with the Glo using the light all the time is better than my Touch.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #10
dogsballs
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I have to agree with this. My battery life with the Glo using the light all the time is better than my Touch.
thanks for that i thought the battery life would be drastically reduced