Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
E-books a hot topic at next Consumer Electronics Show

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/200...onic_show.html

It seems like every day brings some announcement about a new player or partnership in the emerging electronic book market. Members of that buzzing ecosystem are apparently eager to show their stuff at the next Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. CES says it's sold out its e-book exhibition area for the next show in January 2010, and is scrambling to add more space.
Companies displaying their e-book technology at the tradeshow include Plastic Logic, which is coming out with an ultrathin reading device next year, and Shortcovers, a mobile e-reader application from Canadian bookseller Indigo Books & Music. There are also some less familiar names: Ditto Book, Ectaco Inc., Entourage Systems, Freescale, HanWang, Interead, Liquavista, Marvell, and Onyx International.

“We have received overwhelming response from companies interested in exhibiting in the eBooks TechZone for the 2010 CES," said Karen Chupka, one of the show's organizers, in a statement. "In fact, the original space allocated for the TechZone has already sold out and we are adding additional floor space to accommodate our customers."

Absent from the list is Amazon.com, which has dominated the early electronic book market with its Kindle device, as well as other big players like Sony and Barnes & Noble (though B&N is working with Plastic Logic). But it's interesting to note how many new companies are trying to elbow their way into the young but growing market. CES says e-book sales are expected to reach $317 million in 2009, with $647 million in sales projected for 2010.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The name Ectaco sticks out among the others, doesn't it?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 02:31 AM   #3
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
The name Ectaco sticks out among the others, doesn't it?
HanWang (Hanvon I think they call it overseas) is also a pretty big player, relatively speaking. There are others in the list too that may produce something new, but I think the only one I'm really hopeful for is Ectaco's next generation of JetBook. That is, if they actually improve it (design-wise and screen-wise) rather than just release a 6" device (the m218)
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I didn't find ASTAK in this list
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Robertb is offering passes to a few people if they can attend. I plan on asking for one.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I now something abotu most of the names on the list:

Ditto Book - otherwise unexceptional reseller of Netronix
Entourage Systems - DC area, developing its own product for the education market
HanWang - (hanvon) Chinese manufacturer of a couple of really neat readers
Interead - seller of the Cool-er (rebranded Netronix)
Liquavista - screen technology
Onyx International - maker of Boox
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Liquavista is a competing technology to PixelQ. I listened to a panel at SID about their technology. If (and I do mean if) they get it out the door, it would be better that PixelQ, IMHO. But I'll wait until I see product and production agreements....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Robertb is offering passes to a few people if they can attend. I plan on asking for one.
I might also ask. If I can afford the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Liquavista is a competing technology to PixelQ. I listened to a panel at SID about their technology. If (and I do mean if) they get it out the door, it would be better that PixelQ, IMHO. But I'll wait until I see product and production agreements....
I don't think I'd heard of them until now.

Hmm, their electrowetting technology does sound like it will have a considerable advantage over PixelQi's LCD based technology. Though cost is a critical factor. Even if Liquavista can use the existing infrastructure, I have a feeling that Pixel Qi's more conventional approach could yield a cheaper product.... at least in the short term.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I might also ask. If I can afford the trip.

I don't think I'd heard of them until now.

Hmm, their electrowetting technology does sound like it will have a considerable advantage over PixelQi's LCD based technology. Though cost is a critical factor. Even if Liquavista can use the existing infrastructure, I have a feeling that Pixel Qi's more conventional approach could yield a cheaper product.... at least in the short term.

It doesn't have to be cheaper than PixelQ LCD. After all, e-ink has built a niche while being much more expensive that LCD. Electrowetting has to be cheaper than E-ink...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
http://myces.bdmetrics.com/CDT-62781...h/Details.aspx

they weren't hiding... Bobbie mentioned they will be having a fairly large booth this year. As I recall it was around 1100 sq. ft. Being a veteran of every single Comdex, that is a nice sized booth. Cost them a fair amount, tax deductible of course... Then again from all appearences, they are sharing the booth.

For anyone who can make it to a CES kinda show...do it...but bring a wheeled cart or something to carry out all the swag. After four days at a typical Comdex I needed a pickup to cart home all the give aways from not only my regular vendors but others as well. Probably not as much as once upon a time but probably still fun...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
It doesn't have to be cheaper than PixelQ LCD. After all, e-ink has built a niche while being much more expensive that LCD. Electrowetting has to be cheaper than E-ink...
Certainly cost would not keep Electrowetting from the market. However if 3Qi screens are considerably cheaper than they have a better chance of becoming mainstream.

*Ugh, I'd be able to explain better if there wasn't a jackhammer ramming into my head.*
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
wow. this is gonna be really exciting!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Freescale mainly produces integrated chips, for example their CPUs are in Sony Readers and Kindles. They also have a new chip which is supposed to be used in netbooks, but I don't think there are any actual models being produced yet. Marvell also makes processors, mostly for networking. I'm guessing they're going to present some chips made specifically for ebook readers.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote