Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 03:06 AM   #16
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
re: The Night's Dawn Trilogy

Loved it and love the ending as well. After all they were searching for something to save everyone and nobody knew what it's supposed to be. Maybe some people would have preferred a more scientific solution but to me it was a nice ending. I've read some of his other books as well. And unlike a lot of other books the endings were always unexpected. I like that. It made me reevaluate my thinking and so on. DEM is good unless overabused
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:33 AM   #17
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
And unlike a lot of other books the endings were always unexpected. I like that. It made me reevaluate my thinking and so on. DEM is good unless overabused
Thank you very much - i felt already like a "outsider" here with my opinion that DEM doesn't have to be bad automatically in any case.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #18
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
DEM completely *ruined* The Dark Tower.

<grumble, grumble: almost thirty *years* i spent waiting for the end of that :grumble, grumble>

Now, LOTR, naw. The eagles were part of the story all along. In the Hobbit, it's a bit annoying, but it's a kid's book (and Tolkien's first novel, as well). I don't hold it to as high a standard.

But sure, any professional novelist ought to be able to avoid it by thinking ahead. Which is why TDT was *such* a disappointment.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #19
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
DEM completely *ruined* The Dark Tower.

<grumble, grumble: almost thirty *years* i spent waiting for the end of that :grumble, grumble>
Lol, i know what you mean. But actually it wasn't real DEM in the dark tower. Such an end was already foreshadowed because in some situations Roland thought that something wasn't happening to him for the first time. (sorry no examples, i would have to look for the passages in the pbooks)
Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #20
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
There were an awful lot of DEMs in the last book of The Dark Tower - the turtle that Stephen King wrote himself into the story *just* so he could give it to the characters (practically the definition of a DEM), the artist who showed up at the end who could alter reality - need something, draw it! Want it to go away? Erase it!

There were more, but I'm not going to relive the whole last dreadful book.

Errg.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 01:52 AM   #21
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
There were an awful lot of DEMs in the last book of The Dark Tower - the turtle that Stephen King wrote himself into the story *just* so he could give it to the characters (practically the definition of a DEM), the artist who showed up at the end who could alter reality - need something, draw it! Want it to go away? Erase it!

There were more, but I'm not going to relive the whole last dreadful book.

Errg.
I thought you just meant the often criticized end of the last book (after the fight against the red king). I wouldn't call the artist DEM, not after all the people/living objects with strange skills who occured in the previous books. If you call that DEM, then even the first book included DEM-elements.

Last edited by netseeker; 05-07-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #22
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Frankly I tend to get so immersed into the story I become the characters. And generally don't see any DEM unless it's something seriously insane. I guess it also depends on one's world view. I consider there are other sentient beings out there and that there are some so powerful that one could consider them deities. And at time I see how even we ourselves can actually do some incredible things that some would consider a DEM. And I think a lot of times people don't notice DEM as well because it's so subtle.

It's all how it is incorporated into the story.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
Frankly I tend to get so immersed into the story I become the characters. And generally don't see any DEM unless it's something seriously insane..
Seriously insane like the ending of Battlestar Galactica...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #24
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Seriously insane like the ending of Battlestar Galactica...
They could have done with taking out that
Spoiler:
cheesy robot-on-the-tv-screen epilogue
, which almost ruined the whole series for me.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #25
ruskie
Shade

I won't comment on TV shows... different medium.