Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #16
LeJon
Enthusiast
LeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
That's your post from another thread. It agrees with my post. Odd.

Yes, I agree that it's quicker if you don't wait before page turns. But why are you so sure it's a software issue?

Fyi, my post that you quoted is about the Kobo H2O, not the Glo HD which is discussed here. I mentioned it's normal for Kobo because what your describing is the same as what I experienced with the Kobo H2O that is purchased recently at Chapters and for a brand new device, this shouldn't happen and it's worst for the Glo HD since it only came out recently. If the first firmware for Glo HD is slow, it's not a guarantee that a future firmware will fix it.

Last edited by LeJon; 06-28-2015 at 10:35 AM.
LeJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #17
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJon View Post
Yes, I agree that it's quicker if you don't wait before page turns. But how do you know this is a software issue not hardware?

Fyi, my post that you quoted is about the Kobo H2O not the Glo HD which is discussed here.
Deduction. Because "it's quicker if you don't wait before page turns." It demonstrates the hardware is physically capable of faster page turn speeds. QED: it must be the software. Also (I think) it's not being reported with Coolreader and Koreader, only Nickle (the Kobo reading software).

I think the Kobos have slower processors than the Kindles too. Add to that the Kobos do more work than the Kindles because of their remarkable font customization options. But that shouldn't contribute to the the particular behavior we're discussing on the Glo HD. I have an Aura HD and I do not observe the page-turn lag (thank heavens). But as I said, some users state they are not experiencing it on the Glo HD. But I sure did. So much so that it went back, though TBH I don't need another 6". The higher screen def made no difference to my eyes. Still happy with pearl.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #18
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJon View Post
I mentioned it's normal for Kobo because what your describing is the same as what I experienced with the Kobo H2O that is purchased recently at Chapters and for a brand new device, this shouldn't happen and it's worst for the Glo HD since it only came out recently. If the first firmware for Glo HD is slow, it's not a guarantee that a future firmware will fix it.
I do not experience it with the Aura HD (running 3.16). I suggest you downgrade to an earlier FW version. The page-turn lag was not reported prior to 3.15.

It's this kind of stuff that puts people off of Kobo, which I well understand. To get the most out of the Kobos, you have to "get your hands dirty" a little. The alternative is the Kindle, where everything "just works" but that's the end of it. If you're unhappy with the very limited software in any way, your stuck with it. So it's two different experiences that cater to two different user types. Also Kobo has the 6.8" screens which I prefer. If Kindle re-released the DX that could be hacked, and bought from my location, I'd get one.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The alternative is the Kindle, where everything "just works" but that's the end of it. If you're unhappy with the very limited software in any way, your stuck with it.
I don't find the Kindle's firmware to be "limited" at all. It does exactly what I want to do, which is to read books. I've never personally seen the need to be able to have minute control over every aspect of the book's typography - that's the job of the book's creator, not me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't find the Kindle's firmware to be "limited" at all. It does exactly what I want to do, which is to read books. I've never personally seen the need to be able to have minute control over every aspect of the book's typography - that's the job of the book's creator, not me.
But the book's creator does not have complete control. We don't even have control of the new typography of the PW3 firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2015, 04:49 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the book's creator does not have complete control. We don't even have control of the new typography of the PW3 firmware.
Then the answer is not to use a Kindle if you don't like it. Oh, wait! You don't have a Kindle do you? You just endlessly whine about them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:44 AM   #22
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I think whining about the inferior typography on the kindle is a valid contribution to a thread comparing it to a Kobo.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:20 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then the answer is not to use a Kindle if you don't like it. Oh, wait! You don't have a Kindle do you? You just endlessly whine about them.
You said the job of typography was up to the publisher. I was just disagreeing that we don't have compete control. We don't have control of the new typography (I'm hoping it's just not yet). We don't have complete control of the margins and line spacing. That's a lot of things we don't have complete control over.

I was not complaining, just stating facts based on your statement.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #24
terendel
Enthusiast
terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Oasis 2
Quote:
Are the lights at an even level for both devices?
No, the Paperwhite is closer to the light source, which is why it has the orange glow.
terendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #25
terendel
Enthusiast
terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard529 View Post
Thanks VERY much for your detailed reply.
I've read your excellent reviews. Very interesting to read that you find the PW3 text sharpness disappointing.
You're welcome. To be fair, the PW3 is a great device to read on. I've been using it as my main reader for a week now, and I like it. However, I just expected to see a bigger difference in sharpness from the PW2. Because of that, I can't recommend it as an automatic upgrade.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #26
terendel
Enthusiast

Quote:
It's this kind of stuff that puts people off of Kobo, which I well understand. To get the most out of the Kobos, you have to "get your hands dirty" a little. The alternative is the Kindle, where everything "just works" but that's the end of it.
That's a great way to put it! My guess is that the average consumer doesn't want to put that much work into it, which is why they gravitate toward the Kindle. Plus, name recognition with Amazon.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:26 PM   #27
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I think whining about the inferior typography on the kindle is a valid contribution to a thread comparing it to a Kobo.
Maybe... Except this kind of whining about all things Amazon has been broadcast by one particular poster at least since 2009... Terrible signal-to-noise ratio and not particularly useful. But that's ok; I'm very good at filtering

Besides, this is a thread comparing Kindle/Kobo page turns, not a thread about Kindle/Kobo typography. Plenty of other threads doing that.

Last edited by jemc; 06-29-2015 at 08:46 PM.
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #28
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemc View Post
Maybe... Except this kind of whining about all things Amazon has been broadcast by one particular poster at least since 2009... Terrible signal-to-noise ratio and not particularly useful. But that's ok; I'm very good at filtering

Besides, this is a thread comparing Kindle/Kobo page turns, not a thread about Kindle/Kobo typography. Plenty of other threads doing that.
Well said. I like to hear about the pros and cons of ereaders, but while you learn not to give much credence to what certain people post, it can still be pretty tiresome.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 06-30-2015 at 08:08 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Teleread article compares PW3 with Glo HD.

http://www.teleread.com/ereaders/hea...-paperwhite-3/

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-30-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #30
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Teleread article compares PW3 with Glo HD.

http://www.teleread.com/ereaders/hea...-paperwhite-3/
Something odd going on in that review?

Quote:
"The Glo HD allows you to make finer gradations in font size, font weight, line spacing and margins. The Glo allows you to choose between full justification and ragged right. If that level of control is important to you, seriously consider the Glo HD. [...] Most of the typography features I mentioned above only work on books in the kePub format, not plain ePub. "
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote