Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2015, 11:58 PM   #46
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Processing books after loading them is a lot faster in this firmware version (coming from 3.12).

However, maybe it's my imagination, but turning epub pages seems to have gotten slightly SLOWER on my H2O. It's hard to tell really.

I really wish the typography of the kepub renderer was nicer, as I would switch in a heartbeat otherwise.

Despite my earlier comment about how much faster and more responsive I find the new firmware, I have to agree, there's a noticeable added delay to the page turning. (Less than a second, but still enough to notice.) I thought it might have more to do with preventing accidental page turns/double turns..
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:02 AM   #47
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Haven't noticed anything on my H2O.

3.15 is mostly fine for me. I *am* a little disappointed that the pdf performance still isn't fixed though.

Pinch to zoom is kinda neat, but I don't think I'll be using it too much.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #48
marshap
Enthusiast
marshap began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
I too have noticed page turns in epubs seem to be a bit slower with this frimware.
marshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:58 AM   #49
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I think I have found the cause of many of the menu ghosting issues on my Glo:

There is a new feature setting available in firmware 3.15.0:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
LeanAndMean=false
The default, at least on my Glo, appears to be LeanAndMean=true, so setting it to false fixes the ghosting issues.

It could be that the default on other devices is different. I suspect the feature is to give a choice of cleaner or faster sceen painting (although I haven't noticed any slowdown when I changed the option to false), but there might be other effects. Like any of these unofficial options, use at your own risk.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #50
simoun
simoun began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Sorry to ask this question, i am a newbie, from France

On my kobo H2O i have the firmware : 3.12.1...how can i download the firmware ? Your Zip files is ok only if i already have 3.15.0 already installed ?
simoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #51
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
ePub page turns was very fast on some books, very slow on some. Now, it is slightly slower than the previous very fast in all books.

I count this an improvement.

Last edited by GERGE; 04-29-2015 at 10:40 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #52
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I think I have found the cause of many of the menu ghosting issues on my Glo:

There is a new feature setting available in firmware 3.15.0:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
LeanAndMean=false
The default, at least on my Glo, appears to be LeanAndMean=true, so setting it to false fixes the ghosting issues.

It could be that the default on other devices is different. I suspect the feature is to give a choice of cleaner or faster sceen painting (although I haven't noticed any slowdown when I changed the option to false), but there might be other effects. Like any of these unofficial options, use at your own risk.
Tried on the Aura HD, it doesn't break anything but to early to say if it does anything to
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #53
dclauzel
Enthusiast
dclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoun View Post

On my kobo H2O i have the firmware : 3.12.1...how can i download the firmware ? Your Zip files is ok only if i already have 3.15.0 already installed ?
Tu as juste à « synchroniser » depuis ta liseuse : elle va télécharger et installer la nouvelle version en faisant une connexion WIFI. Suivant les régions et les distributeurs (FNAC, Kobo, etc) il peut y avoir un décalage de plusieurs jours.

Last edited by dclauzel; 04-29-2015 at 11:13 AM.
dclauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #54
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoun View Post

unzip the 3.15.0 update zip file in the .kobo directory, it contains a subdirectory, a checksum file and the update, it can be placed over the old 3.12.1 firmware.
Important do place this in the .kobo directory.
Then eject the device safely and remove the usb cable, it will restart by itself and does the update, after that,the files are automatically deleted and your device is running on the new firmware.
It will keep all the settings.
(maybe the france language above my post does tell the same,but as far as I know, English is the common language and txt in other languages can be better send as private message.)

Last edited by Nick_1964; 04-29-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #55
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
if page turn is slower,then I dont want to upgrade, how to disable auto firmware upgrade in H2o?

Thanks
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #56
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
LeanAndMean=false
And where do I find and change this?
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #57
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
if page turn is slower,then I dont want to upgrade, how to disable auto firmware upgrade in H2o?
Page turns are not noticeably slower for me, and they are much more reliable. No hesitation, no double page turns. It's worth upgrading, in my opinion.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #58
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksiflhjla8 View Post
And where do I find and change this?
In the .kobo\kobo directory you will find a file named Kobo eReader.conf, open this with a linux txt editor like notepad++ ( not with wordpad or notepad standard from Windows) and place it under the section
[FeatureSettings] of that file.
It looks like this, not all options have to be in there:
[FeatureSettings]
FullScreenReading=true
LeanAndMean=false
Screenshots=false

@GeoffR it seems that you are right, tried it some times with the screensaver on both Aura HD and Glo and the ghosting is gone, or so less that I can't see it any more..

Last edited by Nick_1964; 04-29-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #59
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
In the .kobo\kobo directory you will find a file named Kobo eReader.conf
Thanks, the [FeatureSettings] was not there, but I added it and the ghosting is gone
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:37 AM   #60
simoun
simoun began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
tks et merci

tks for the update specs, and for the french guy : tks also. I use wifi to sync but i stay in 3.12.1...strange

May be the auto firmware update is stucked in 3.12.1 in France ?

I wil try manually with your method

tks to all
simoun is offline   Reply With Quote