Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Question about iPad3 and Kindle app

Does the latest Kindle for iOS app have a multi-column option for reading books? I had an iPad1 until about 6 months ago, but I cannot remember if it had that option. I'm thinking of getting an iPad3. However if the Kindle app does not have multi-columns in landscape mode then it will not be pleasant reading in landscape, which is my favorite way to read on a large tablet.

In my case the iPad1 was no good for prolonged reading with its lower resolution screen as it caused a lot of eye strain. The new Retina display iPad3 shouldn't be a problem though. I have an iPod touch 4th Gen with Retina display and it is good for reading, but of course a small 3.5 inch screen is not so good for reading.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
I have Kindle for iOS 3.1 and it has a two-column layout in landscape on my iPad 3; latest version is 3.1.1 - can't imagine they've changed that much!
HTH
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Two-column landscape mode was added in a relatively recent version to both the iOS and Android Kindle apps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Great! I knew they just added it to the Kindle for Android app (for tablets only though).

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Got an iPad 3. I ike the Kindle app on it.

Quick question though: Does Kindle for iOS support viewing embedded fonts?

I don't seem to have any purchased KF8s with embedded fonts with which to test. I do have a book I modified and to which added embedded fonts. I sideloaded this book via iTunes but the option to use publisher fonts does not show up. I know Amazon does not give full feature sets to the Kindle apps and I know that sideloaded books don't always have as many allowable features as those purchased and DLed.

Just curious. It is no big deal if embedded fonts are not supported. Great screen on iPad for reading. I really love two-column view in landscape!
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Got an iPad 3. I ike the Kindle app on it.

Quick question though: Does Kindle for iOS support viewing embedded fonts?

I don't seem to have any purchased KF8s with embedded fonts with which to test. I do have a book I modified and to which added embedded fonts. I sideloaded this book via iTunes but the option to use publisher fonts does not show up. I know Amazon does not give full feature sets to the Kindle apps and I know that sideloaded books don't always have as many allowable features as those purchased and DLed.

Just curious. It is no big deal if embedded fonts are not supported. Great screen on iPad for reading. I really love two-column view in landscape!
Download a sample of the latest Star Trek eBook Raise the Dawn. It has a KF8 version and does have fonts embedded. This is a good test if KF8 is supported or not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Download a sample of the latest Star Trek eBook Raise the Dawn. It has a KF8 version and does have fonts embedded. This is a good test if KF8 is supported or not.
I DLed that one and 11/23/63 which I saw you guys talking about in another thread. Neither one has a way to turn on publisher fonts in Kindle for iOS on my iPad. I'm not sure how to actually check to see if it supports KF8. Obviously embedded fonts are not supported but it might support other KF8 features.

Okay, the have two listings for the Trek book, this is the one I DLed. Not sure why two listing with different prices?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Typh...Raise+the+Dawn

EDIT: I DLed this to my Touch and the embedded fonts are displayable, though that font is entirely too thin to be readable with my eyes. But it works on the Touch whereas it does not work on the iPad so I guess that answers my question about fonts.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-11-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just tried the other one too. Still no embedded fonts. It looks like it was published yesterday whereas the previous one was published in June. They show different file sizes and page counts.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

As noted in post #7 Kindle for iOS does not support embedded fonts. I'm not sure if it supports any KF8 formatting or not. I do know that side loaded books in KF8 don't display as KF8, they display as mobi7. I side loaded using iTunes.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
As noted in post #7 Kindle for iOS does not support embedded fonts. I'm not sure if it supports any KF8 formatting or not. I do know that side loaded books in KF8 don't display as KF8, they display as mobi7. I side loaded using iTunes.
I thought that I recalled reading that a recent update to the iOS Kindle App added KF8 support, but I may be mistaken.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just tried the other one too. Still no embedded fonts. It looks like it was published yesterday whereas the previous one was published in June. They show different file sizes and page counts.

It looks like the newer edition is not a legit version. The price is wrong, there is no DRM and it's not published by Simon & Schuster.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
EDIT: I DLed this to my Touch and the embedded fonts are displayable, though that font is entirely too thin to be readable with my eyes. But it works on the Touch whereas it does not work on the iPad so I guess that answers my question about fonts.
What I did with the ePub version was I replaced the main font with a semi-bold version of the same font and that one is easily readable. I agree that the default font is not wonderful on eink.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I thought that I recalled reading that a recent update to the iOS Kindle App added KF8 support, but I may be mistaken.
I thought I did too, but apparently that is not the case. The Kindle for iOS does support children's books and graphic novels according to a page I saw on Amazon.com, but it does not seem to support the KF8 formatting like rounded borders. The new Kindle Previewer 2.51 still displays KF8 books viewed in iOS emulation as mobi7.