Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
WinnieP
WinnieP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Screensaver hack & warranty/screen defect

Hi all,

I am a very happy Kindle owner. I have been playing with the thought of installing the screensaver hack. A friend has recently bought a Sony ereader and she has the cover of the book she's reading as the screensaver which I thought was a nice idea.

I know you have to jailbreak the Kindle for this, I know that officially voids the warranty, and I also know you can remove the hack in case you need to send your kindle back.

Here's the thing. On the same day I saw my friend's Sony and showed her my Kindle, when I got home and turned my Kindle back on, half the screen was frozen, showing lines and a partial of the screensaver. As we all know Amazon CS is incredible and 5 days later (I'm in Europe) I had a replacement and the original is now on it's way back to Amazon.

Now this made me realize, while you might be able to wipe the system clean when it comes to jailbreaking, that screen will stay as it is when something like this happens. Had I jailbroken my Kindle before this happened, and a partial of my own screensaver image had been 'burned' onto the screen, there's no way of erasing that evidence, and they would know it was jailbroken when they got the broken Kindle back.

Though I'd still really like the screensaver hack and some of the other options you have when jailbreaking the Kindle, I think I don't dare to do it now. I am so grateful to amazon for being so great about replacing a kindle with a problem, I don't want to mess that up.

Any of you have the same thought, or perhaps have some relevant experience when returning a Kindle?
WinnieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
Amazon has not been very clear about warranty rights after the software on a Kindle is modified. A customer support official declared: "Customer Service does not support or provide instructions for adding custom images to your Kindle to be used as screen savers. However, should you choose to do this on your own it will not void your warranty.". This was referred to Kindle 2 - now that the 3 and 4 ship with ads, it might be different. In particular, the Kindle Terms of Agreement states: "No Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, Disassembly, or Circumvention. You may not (i) modify, reverse engineer, or disassemble the Kindle or the Software whether in whole or in part, (ii) decompile the Software in whole or in part (except to the extent such right cannot be excluded or limited by law and then only when the express permission of Amazon has been sought and refused), or (iii) create any derivative works from or of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat, or tamper with or circumvent any of the functions or protections of the Kindle or Software or any mechanisms operatively linked to the Software, for example, by augmenting or substituting any digital rights management functionality of the Kindle or Software."
In a word, it's probably true that you'll void the warranty. Anyway, given how fast new devices are being released, I'd change the screensavers and enjoy your Kindle. If something goes wrong, you can get the K4 at some point.

Disclaimer: I might be biased in my advice, because I created a website about Kindle Screensavers. There is also an application to automatically change Kindle Screensaver
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
fidjit
fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
My son had an "issue" with the screen of his K3. It was stuck on a custom screen saver with only 1/4 of the bottom of the screen still actually active.

I was upfront with Amazon CSR and told them it looked like the screen was broken and they sent me a replacement under warranty.

The stuck custom screensaver got to Amazon about a week ago now. Haven't heard anything back or seen any nasty charges on my card.

Fingers crossed.
fidjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Amazon doesn't care if you hack the Kindle, they really just want you to buy books with it
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I've not heard of anybody having any problems with that. I can't see why they'd care, really. I wish they'd just give us a method of creating our own screensavers and avoid the whole mess.

I personally gave in and installed the hack because I wanted to be able to put my contact information on my screensavers in the vain hope that if I were to misplace it, it'd find its way back to me.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert