Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
Mursemanley
Mursemanley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Last love? Harry Potter

Last book I read that I just could not put down was Harry Potter. That was before I went to college where I had no time to read for pleasure. Now I want to get back into reading. Suggestions to similar reads?
Mursemanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
I went to Literature Map--it's a site that lets you enter the name of an author you like, and then shows you other authors you might like--but not book titles. Here's what I got for J.K. Rowling: http://www.literature-map.com/joanne+k-2e+rowling.html
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Definitely try the Percy Jackson series. They are lots of fun. Similar concept to Harry Potter, but not enough to bother (me, at least) while reading.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Any of the three series by Rick Riordan would be great- Percy Jackson is a complete series, but I really like the Kane Chronicles better. Too bad there's only one book so far!

But I agree with lilac Jive-- I think Percy Jackson may be just what you're seeking!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Any of the three series by Rick Riordan would be great- Percy Jackson is a complete series, but I really like the Kane Chronicles better. Too bad there's only one book so far!

But I agree with lilac Jive-- I think Percy Jackson may be just what you're seeking!
I've really got to pick up The Red Pyramid from the library! I keep forgetting :/
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
I went to Literature Map--
Here's what I got for J.K. Rowling: http://www.literature-map.com/joanne+k-2e+rowling.html
This illustrates how Rowling really cuts across genres.

Orson Scott Card is certainly worth checking out. Ender's Game is an obvious choice, but Wyrms is one of my favorites.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This illustrates how Rowling really cuts across genres.

Orson Scott Card is certainly worth checking out. Ender's Game is an obvious choice, but Wyrms is one of my favorites.
+1 If you liked Harry Potter, perhaps the Alvin Maker series by Card. Of course, I loved the Ender Series....well, and all his other books too.

Lee
leebase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Suggestions to similar reads?
It shouldn't be too hard to find Fantasy books that are similar to Harry Potter. Stable-boy/kitchen-boy/orphan-who-discovers-important heritage/power is a fairly common genre trope.

P.S. I'm not dissing Rowland (or HP) just the over-used trope itself.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Definitely try the Percy Jackson series. They are lots of fun. Similar concept to Harry Potter, but not enough to bother (me, at least) while reading.
I third the Percy Jackson series. Great fun. You might also enjoy books by Diana Wynne Jones. Try "Howl's Moving Castle" or "The Dark Lord of Derkholm". Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" might appeal to you, as well.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Second Diana Wynne Jones, although I am more familiar with the Chrestomanci series and the standalone Witch Week.

Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising - the eponymous second book is arguably the most popular, so maybe read that one first and if you like it, go back and read the first one and then the others in order. They all connect up in the end, but certainly the first two can be read out of order. Stay away from the movie though - I never saw it but from what I heard the only things that remained were the title and the name of the main character. Even his age and nationality were changed. >

CS Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. Like Dark is Rising, read the second first (Lion, Witch, Wardrobe). It's not until about the 4th or 5th that they should be read in order.

Others that are set fully in a fantasy world include Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles, David Eddings' Belgariad, Terry Brooks' Shannara, Susan Dexter's Rings of Allaire, Judith Tarr (forget the series title), Tad Williams, Wheel of Time.... These are all older titles because, well, I'm older and they were my early fantasy reads.

Ursula Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea for something a little darker and deeper. Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card) or A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L'Engle) for a SF version.

Quote:
It shouldn't be too hard to find Fantasy books that are similar to Harry Potter. Stable-boy/kitchen-boy/orphan-who-discovers-important heritage/power is a fairly common genre trope.
Too true. Read Terry Pratchett (recommend Guards! Guards! and Only You Can Save Mankind as starting points) once you've read enough to appreciate the parodies. Definitely read Ender's Game before Only You Can Save Mankind. Also A Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
Also A Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones.
I second that, a great, laugh-out-loud read.

I'll be sure to give "The Dark is Rising" a try.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
I loved Harry Potter as well, and I'd say the next step up for you might be The Hunger Games. It was absolutely thrilling, easily ascending to the heights of entertainment that I got from the best parts of Harry Potter.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #13
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
+1 If you liked Harry Potter, perhaps the Alvin Maker series by Card. Of course, I loved the Ender Series....well, and all his other books too.

Lee
I loved HP as well, but didn't care for the Percy Jackson series. I made it through the first book, but it was predictable and the dialog wasn't fun.

I'd like to second leebase's recommendation of Card's Alvin Maker series, and of course Card's Ender's Game. Might also want to try Robin Hobb's Farseer series, first book is Assassin's Apprentice. Many people have a strong reaction to Hobb, either love or hate (I'm firmly in the "love" camp), but if you find yourself hating it, probably shouldn't waste your time finishing it.

I'm also fond of the Wheel of Time books, though the later books in the series drag (final book to be released in about a year). I do, however, LOVE Eye of the World, the first book in the series, and it's a great stand-alone novel. It's pretty comparable to HP: boy discovers he's "the one" and must face the evil that is taking over the world.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Wheel of Time is nothing like Harry Potter. There is not many books like it. Closest is Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Wheel of Time is nothing like Harry Potter. There is not many books like it. Closest is Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud.
Sure, if you limit yourself to something aimed at 4th graders, then Bartimaeus is ok. HP was great because it was enjoyable by adults and kids. I find Bartimaeus and Percy Jackson to be written towards kids. That's fine, I just prefer not to read something that leads you by the nose to the conclusion; I like figuring out things for myself.

My reason for comparing WOT to HP is listed above. They are quite similar in their stereotypes. As DiapDealer said: "Stable-boy/kitchen-boy/orphan-who-discovers-important heritage/power is a fairly common genre trope."
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote