Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
USB cord as powercable, PB360

Okay here is a random question. Can I use my USB to wall converter, the one I use for my iphone, to charge my PB360?

Thanks!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Yes, that's exactly what I do
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
I cannot (but I have a PB302).
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Okay here is a random question. Can I use my USB to wall converter, the one I use for my iphone, to charge my PB360?

Thanks!

Amy
Yes, you can. I've just tried it myself and it works.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Almiel
regrets buying PocketBook
Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CoolReader (Android), Pocketbook 360 Ivory
I would be leery of this actually. Make sure the other power supply has same stats (taken from PB360 manual):

Power supply Input: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz, 0.2A

You don't want to fry your reader!
Almiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Has Anyone Known of A Charger Frying a PB reader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almiel View Post
I would be leery of this actually. Make sure the other power supply has same stats (taken from PB360 manual):

Power supply Input: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz, 0.2A

You don't want to fry your reader!
I understand that is a conservative and safety-minded suggestion. I wonder has anyone REALLY known of a case where an IPOD type charger has damaged a PB reader? Or any other Brand?

I have a 301 and a Sony 650. I use a $2.99 wall "IPOD" charger with both OK. I use that charger with 2 different SANDISK CLIP MP3 Players and a cell phone also.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
I do use iPhone charger sometimes to charge my PBs...BTW, you can do it with the PB302 as well!
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
thdanh90
thdanh90 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Skiff Vaporware, Wireless Kobo
Hi all Mobileread netizens,
For the upcoming Pocketbook Pro 602, 603, 902, 903, can we use the AC Adapter from iPhone/iPod to connect to the Pocketbook via USB cords and charge?
thdanh90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Snufkin
Snufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: broken PB360 :(
so will I be able to use the 360 wall charger to charge the 602?
The batteries seem to be different between the two models?
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
wireless chargers

So I was watching the commercials for the new wireless chargers for the phones, where you set them on a pad and it charges them. Will this work for the Pocketbooks? Or would this damage them?

Thanks!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
You won't fry your reader with a USB type DC supply. USB uses constant voltage (5.0-5.5V), and devices that use more than 100mA current are required to manage themselves (normally 500mA is max). That 200mA rating on your charger is probably for the DC output, and would mean the PocketBook isn't very power hungry (typical cheap chargers tend to be 300mA, too little for a PSP).

The real problem tends to be the crude workarounds employed to detect dumb chargers. When plugged into a computer, devices may not draw over 100mA until negotiated - and the chargers don't have that negotiation function, so a few brands use various non-standard simple circuits to mark their chargers. If the device and charger are designed using differing tricks, you may get slow or no charging.

I don't expect any problem using that phone charger, but there's a risk it'll only charge slowly. Luckily ebook readers have fairly low demands.

P.S: Those wireless chargers may represent a significantly higher risk. They normally use air transformers, i.e. induction, and that will do the same to your circuits as an induction stove does to your food. The question is to what degree.

Last edited by LoneTech; 11-18-2010 at 09:26 PM.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote