Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #631
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks for the encouragement - it is hard work, but well worthwhile. The "killer" for me is things like biscuits (cookies) and cakes. I can't eat just one biscuit - if I open a packet, I eat the lot, so the only way for me to avoid temptation is just not to have any in the house. Sometimes the late night "hunger pangs" get pretty bad, but if I don't have anything that's bad for me in the house, it's much easier to resist!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #632
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
- it is hard work, but well worthwhile.
And that's the long and short of it. My walk today included a 2km very steep hill leading to a temple. From the train station where I got off (one stop before the station at the base of the hill so I could get my legs warmed up walking along the river before hitting the hill) to the temple is about 4km. I walked as quickly as I could the entire way, not stopping until I reached the top. I had my camera with me but didn't stop to take any photos. I worked this walk. But worthwhile? Three months ago I couldn't walk from that train station to the next one without stopping three times. I guess the hell it IS worthwhile!

EDIT: Here is a snap of the hill that I took on the way down from a previous walk

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 10-19-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #633
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
After a long enforced break due to a knee injury I'm getting seriously back to my weight-loss regime now. Since the start of September I've lost slightly over 7kg (17lbs), so I too am losing about 1kg/week.
Congratulations, Harry! That's great!

Quote:
I am encouraged by the fact that simple physics really does work, though: expend more energy than you consume and you DO lose weight .
Ah, the scientist! Imagine, you should have to rely on feelings or the language of the body! How would that work?

Quote:
Don't see any point in gyms - brisk walking achieves just as much and you get the benefit of the fresh air, too.
Anyone who is interested in can find quite a lot of books about "light food". They are much too spiritual/esoteric for me but I can imagine that they contain a little bit of truth. At least I have made the experience, that whenever I spend the whole day in nature I am getting much less hungry than when I'm sitting on a chair indoors the whole time even if I move/exercise much much more outsides. Maybe the energy of the sun actually helps initiating some processes that burn calories (as does exercising too).

Anyway, Harry, don't let your good start get blown away during your holiday. And come back here to tell us about your progress or, if times get difficult, to get some motivation-hugs. You will reach your goal!

Last edited by Billi; 10-19-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #634
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement - it is hard work, but well worthwhile. The "killer" for me is things like biscuits (cookies) and cakes. I can't eat just one biscuit - if I open a packet, I eat the lot, so the only way for me to avoid temptation is just not to have any in the house. Sometimes the late night "hunger pangs" get pretty bad, but if I don't have anything that's bad for me in the house, it's much easier to resist!
I tend to be the same with biscuits etc. If you need a treat, perhaps purchasing potion controlled things would help. I now buy muesli bars for bloke, because I don't eat them. A chromium supplement may also help with your sweet cravings.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #635
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
A chromium supplement may also help with your sweet cravings.
Car bumper? Refrigerator shelf? You guys are hard line!

Stitchawl
Old 10-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #636
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Car bumper? Refrigerator shelf? You guys are hard line!

Stitchawl
There are much easier options such as Brewers yeast, sweet potato or shellfish, or even a capsule of supplement.

Anyway I think our car bumper is made of plastic?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #637
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Dear diet diary,

This morning on my weekly check-in I had lost another half a kilo. I was hoping for a whole kilo, and no matter how far forward on my scales I leaned, I couldn't get the whole way. So I split the difference between a quarter and three quarters lost and went half.

I am going to get some new digital scales so there is no argument in the future. On these ones you have to lean forward to read them.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #638
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Dear diet diary,

This morning on my weekly check-in I had lost another half a kilo. I was hoping for a whole kilo, and no matter how far forward on my scales I leaned, I couldn't get the whole way. So I split the difference between a quarter and three quarters lost and went half.
Any loss is positive when you're trying to lose. Keep it up!

Stitchawl
Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #639
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Thanks. I figure I I lose half a kilo a week consistently, in 10 weeks I will have lost 5 kilos. I do need better scales though, these ones that fluctuate half a kilo either way and I can't see the numbers easily are not good enough.

I want easy to read scales that tell me I have lost at least half a kilo every week!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #640
Stitchawl
Opsimath

We have one of those scales that measure internal body fat too but I haven't the foggiest idea how to use it. The instructions are all in Japanese, and their idea of instructions are not MY idea of instructions... So I just step on it and wait for it to stop blinking... and pray.

Stitchawl
Old 10-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #641
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

yair! I used to have some of those body fat scales. I doubted their integrity. If you read the instructions you can't check your body fat/water etc first thing when you get up????

Maybe your fat is in your feet and it will tell you something different? They apparently send a pulse through your feet to measure fat and water and then does some sums with your weight. All a lot of smoke and mirrors to me.

It least they told me my weight in big letters... why did they die?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #642
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I'm not sure what's going on... Is my fat just moving down to my thighs? My waist is getting smaller but my thighs are getting bigger... Harder, but bigger. Maybe I should stop walking and climbing so much...

Stitchawl
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #643
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

My waist is getting smaller and the rest is staying the same.

Check this pic of us last week....

Old 10-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #644
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
My waist is getting smaller and the rest is staying the same.

Check this pic of us last week....
Looking good...
I dated a lady bodybuilder a few times. But she spent more time looking at herself than looking at me so I backed out... Besides, I prefer softer pecs.

Stitchawl
Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #645
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Dear Diet Diary,

My new bathroom scales have been ordered and fingers crossed will come on Monday. Hopefully there will be no arguing about weight and no leaning forwards to lose another half a kilo. I am hoping that the weight on the picture will be the same in real life