Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
chutz
chutz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Linux upgrade and source code

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has heard any news on the unofficial Kobo Desktop for Linux 1.4, I have been reading about the fix for the font problem and the slightly better PDF support for weeks now, and I still can't install it because no new Linux version has come out.

Also, it has been mentioned that the Kobo runs Linux, but I have yet to see a release of the source code for the firmware, I was just wondering if there is an ETA on this?
chutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Both good questions. I hope one of the Kobo people will respond soon.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutz View Post
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has heard any news on the unofficial Kobo Desktop for Linux 1.4, I have been reading about the fix for the font problem and the slightly better PDF support for weeks now, and I still can't install it because no new Linux version has come out.

Also, it has been mentioned that the Kobo runs Linux, but I have yet to see a release of the source code for the firmware, I was just wondering if there is an ETA on this?
Something like source is part of "linux". Some projects went to bsd just
for licence matter. And upgrade process should not be secret. Sooner or
later, all will be public. So, why wait? People cannot help if parts of the
process are hidden.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
chutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Something like source is part of "linux". Some projects went to bsd just
for licence matter. And upgrade process should not be secret. Sooner or
later, all will be public. So, why wait? People cannot help if parts of the
process are hidden.
Best regards.
Not entirely sure what you are trying to say here, but several weeks ago a Kobo employee confirmed that the device runs Linux. If it runs the Linux kernel, then they are obligated to provide access to the source code, including any modifications they made.

The userspace stuff (most likely the entire user-visible interface) can be any license they like, as long as they don't link to any GPL libraries. They have to release source to the kernel they use as well as any drivers they wrote for the device (which will make it possible to write custom interfaces for the Kobo).
Old 07-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Ozman
Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Nexus 7
Update

I may have misunderstood, but if you just want to update the firmware to 1.4, the current linux desktop app will do that. No need to run Wine or anything else. Just install and connect your Kobo. Within a few seconds you will be notified an update is available.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Not entirely sure what you are trying to say here, but several weeks ago a Kobo employee confirmed that the device runs Linux. If it runs the Linux kernel, then they are obligated to provide access to the source code, including any modifications they made.

The userspace stuff (most likely the entire user-visible interface) can be any license they like, as long as they don't link to any GPL libraries. They have to release source to the kernel they use as well as any drivers they wrote for the device (which will make it possible to write custom interfaces for the Kobo).
I actually believe they are only obligated to provide the source upon request. You can modify and distribute GPL'd software to your hearts content but only need to provide the source when asked, don't need to provide it with the binaries.

Now if someone asked Kobo for the source and they refused....different story.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
chutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
I may have misunderstood, but if you just want to update the firmware to 1.4, the current linux desktop app will do that. No need to run Wine or anything else. Just install and connect your Kobo. Within a few seconds you will be notified an update is available.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb
Actually, when I start Kobo desktop for Linux I currently just get a message saying "Kobo Reader requires an application update to continue." If I click "Install" it downloads and tries to run "KoboSetup.exe". So I don't see any way to update to firmware 1.4 from the current version of Kobo Desktop for Linux.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
chutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I actually believe they are only obligated to provide the source upon request. You can modify and distribute GPL'd software to your hearts content but only need to provide the source when asked, don't need to provide it with the binaries.

Now if someone asked Kobo for the source and they refused....different story.
Good point, I suppose I will have call customer service and request the source at some point then.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Ozman
Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Nexus 7
Quote:
Actually, when I start Kobo desktop for Linux I currently just get a message saying "Kobo Reader requires an application update to continue." If I click "Install" it downloads and tries to run "KoboSetup.exe". So I don't see any way to update to firmware 1.4 from the current version of Kobo Desktop for Linux.
Well all I can say is I was able to update to firmware 1.4 within a few minutes using the above app with Ubuntu 10.04
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
rford
rford began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I have the same issue. It downloads a windows executable instead of the linux applilcation.

I suspect that it might be because I am running amd64 version of ubuntu 10.04 and kobo for linux is only x86, so when it tries to autodetect version it fails and defaults to windows.

I'm going to try booting off a flashdisk into the x86 ubuntu and updating that way.
rford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
chutz

It turns out that they updated the Linux installer in place, without notifying anyone or changing the file name. Re-installing will update you to the latest version.

Also, I put an ebuild for the kobo desktop app in my Gentoo overlay, if anyone is interested. I have only tested it on amd64, if anyone has an x86 machine feel free to let me know if it works properly there. Here is the address of my overlay:

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitwe...v/chutzpah.git
Old 07-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #12
eythian
eythian began at the beginning.

Hmm, when the app comes to installing the firmware on the Kobo, I get 'Upgrade Interrupted. Your device has been disconnected." It doesn't appear to have actually done anything, and the Kobo comes back fine, but not upgraded.

This is 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04. Anyone know what's going on and what to do about it?
eythian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #13
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eythian View Post
Hmm, when the app comes to installing the firmware on the Kobo, I get 'Upgrade Interrupted. Your device has been disconnected." It doesn't appear to have actually done anything, and the Kobo comes back fine, but not upgraded.

This is 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04. Anyone know what's going on and what to do about it?
When it comes to more than one operating system, stuff might
be tired. Too much to do. The very reason I propagate either SD
card method or live CD upgrade. That way it takes just one team
and all users on the same thread.
As I see it (maybe wrong), windows users upgrade using their
desktop app. Some have problems. Linux users do not upgrade
device, since desktop did not upgrade itself. Once again, it is never
late to simplify things and give the most simple method to the
user.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags