Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
flameproof
flameproof began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Transfer from iPad to PC - possible?

My PCs HDD died recently and I have plenty of PDF on my iPad. I know, you will tell me know how crappy the iPad is for reading, that's very true for novels. But i.e. color coded software or magazines look better in color.

After some searching it seems what I want to do is near impossible. That I will never ever buy any iOS device again is a fact, but does not help me right now.

I read somewhere do this: itunes>File>Devices>Transfer - but this said to delete some of my apps. And I think it's just for stuff I got via iTunes.

Is there a way or do I need to D/L all my books and mags again?

PS: One must be an Apple user to really hate them.
flameproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I have a few pdf's in my iBooks library, and I just went there to see if this is possible...it is possible to email them. So if you are using iBooks to read your pdf's, that is one option, to email them to yourself.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I don't know why so many people think getting things off an iPad is so hard. You can do it through iTunes file transfer, or you can use "Open in" to send them to Dropbox or another cloud service, or you can use FileBrowser app ($5) to direct transfer to a shared folder on a computer on your network, or you can use iFunBox to browse the file system and grab whatever you need. http://www.i-funbox.com/

Now if they are DRM protected that is another matter...
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
flameproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
I have a few pdf's in my iBooks library, and I just went there to see if this is possible...it is possible to email them.
I did not see any email option, or any other option then 'print'. Maybe it's because I have no email account setup on the iPad (I use the Gmail App). I will investigate that later (on the iPhone there is a email option in iBooks).

And I agree, it's an acceptable workaround.

@MeSue
I may check out http://www.i-funbox.com

In iBooks I don't see any "open in..." function.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
And using Marvin makes an iPad very acceptable for reading books.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Exclamation

flameproof, it's easy as pie. Just use iFunBox, and you can copy whatever you need from your iPad to a traditional computer in a blink of an eye.

iPad is the perfect reader device for me. Marvin for real e-books, and GoodReader for fake e-books = PDF files, which are books not available as EPUBs. If I could push a magic button and convert all PDFs to tolerably formatted EPUBs that way, so that I could read all books in Marvin and never see a PDF file again in my life, that's what I'd do. Sadly, life doesn't work that way.

(Naturally, there are huge areas of improvement for both Marvin and GoodReader, but that's another topic.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
flameproof

A quick update:

I setup email and did see the email option now.

I installed http://www.i-funbox.com - and I could move all PDF etc. in one go!

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
I can't get iFunbox to work, when I plug in my iPad 4 iFunbox still says 'no device connected'
Computer is new Haswell mini-itx with Windows 8.1
iPad 4 is one day old, my experience with Apple devices is zero !
Do I need to put iFunbox on the iPad too ?
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
I can't get iFunbox to work, when I plug in my iPad 4 iFunbox still says 'no device connected'
Computer is new Haswell mini-itx with Windows 8.1
iPad 4 is one day old, my experience with Apple devices is zero !
Do I need to put iFunbox on the iPad too ?
On my windows 7 I was able to attach my iPad 2 with not problems. I just started iFunbox and the upper right corner showed it looking for my device. Plugging in my iPad caused it to appear almost immediately. Try unplugging your iPad and then plug it in again. It should find it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Try unplugging your iPad and then plug it in again. It should find it.

Yes, try that. I have seen that resolve the issue you mention when it occurs occasionally. No need to put iFunBox anywhere but on your regular computer. (iFunBox relies on iTunes being installed in the background, though. iTunes does not need to be running, but it needs to be present, installed on the computer for iFunBox to work properly. Any version of iTunes will do, even an old one.)

PS: Unless it's Windows 8.1 acting up, which would not surprise me for such a horrible OS.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Thanks everyone
I'll try again on my Windows 7 laptop
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote