Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #46
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
good outlets?

Hi Ernest, are those outlets that are selling Kai Lung Raises His Voice doing well? I am in Kindle, Mobipocket and Smashwords but always looking to expand audiences.
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #47
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nicholson View Post
are those outlets that are selling Kai Lung Raises His Voice doing well? I am in Kindle, Mobipocket and Smashwords but always looking to expand audiences.
Well, Bearing in mind that it's not been available for the same time everywhere:

Kindle: 4 copies
Lightning Source: none
Lulu: 2 copies

Sigh...

On the plus side, the paper copies have been selling OK. They have been available for a bit longer:

Amazon US: 23 copies
Amazon UK: 9 copies

Hopefully some reviews will appear soon, which may encourage sales.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #48
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
What about technical publications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
With you all the way! DRM is pants and pointless and as a user, I hate it with a passion, I would feel thoroughly hypocritical foisting it on my own readers. The only reason I can see, for having that kind of meanness of spirit with your ideas is because they are drying up. There are plenty more where mine came from so...
Do you guys feel this is true for technical publications as well or does this apply mostly to fiction and literature? I'm about 60% of the way through a training manual for a highly specialized computer software.

Knowledgable people in this occupational area are in VERY high demand and due to the high cost of just buying the software, there is almost no 3rd party support for training. And few opportunities for self learning.

I'm thinking that modestly priced training materials would be useful for small to mid-sized companies who have spent all their budget on software acquisition and don't have enough money left in the budget to train all their employees.

Will I be giving my knowledge away if there is no DRM in this case? It would seem to me that without protection of some sort, I will be not only destroying any profits from book sales, but reducing the value of my own expertise in this field by creating people capable of doing my job.

Any thoughts on this sort of situation?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #49
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Any thoughts on this sort of situation?
Well, it seems like you'd be competing with O'Reilly and they sell their ebooks DRM-free.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #50
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
Well, it seems like you'd be competing with O'Reilly and they sell their ebooks DRM-free.
No I wouldn't. If O'reilly sold a title for this software, I wouldn't have started writing it. But I didn't know that their ebooks were DRM free, clearly I need to understand ebook publishing better. I'm beginning to suspect writing the book is going to be the easy part.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #51
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
No I wouldn't. If O'reilly sold a title for this software, I wouldn't have started writing it. But I didn't know that their ebooks were DRM free, clearly I need to understand ebook publishing better. I'm beginning to suspect writing the book is going to be the easy part.
You might want to take a look at http://openp2p.com/lpt/a/3015 for one publisher's view on the subject.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #52
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'm beginning to suspect writing the book is going to be the easy part.
Writing a book is hard. But yes, selling the book after writing it is harder!

Making it available for people to buy, however, is getting easier and easier.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #53
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Anyone know where I could sell history e-books? I looked on smashwords but it seems they don't have a category for non-fiction history, just historical fiction.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #54
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
Anyone know where I could sell history e-books? I looked on smashwords but it seems they don't have a category for non-fiction history, just historical fiction.
Click on the bit in the border at the top of each page on Smashwords that says "Comments/questions/customer support? Click here!" and ask them, if they don't add it, they'll take the time to explain why and suggest how you could get round it. I'm very impressed with them, they take ideas on board and are quick to reply to queries or requests for help.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:46 AM   #55
Jake_Drake
Enthusiast
Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
I can't say enough about how helpful Smashwords.com is about helping new authors to get their books published as ebooks and get onto all the various ereaders. If not for Smashwords I would still be writing my stories strictly for myself. They were the first I found out about and the best I still have found.

Until February of this year I was only writing for me - now my ebooks are reaching people all over the globe and I have gotten very good feedback/reviews from quite a few people who purchased my ebooks on Smashwords.

Thanks to Mark Coker for all he's done in helping out the newbie author.
Jake_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:02 AM   #56
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
On the DRM question, Cory Doctorow (a hero) summed it up in a borrowed quote from elsewhere in a talk recently: "The problem for an independent author isn't piracy; it's obscurity." Cheers. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #57
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Drake View Post
I can't say enough about how helpful Smashwords.com is about helping new authors to get their books published as ebooks and get onto all the various ereaders. If not for Smashwords I would still be writing my stories strictly for myself. They were the first I found out about and the best I still have found.

Until February of this year I was only writing for me - now my ebooks are reaching people all over the globe and I have gotten very good feedback/reviews from quite a few people who purchased my ebooks on Smashwords.

Thanks to Mark Coker for all he's done in helping out the newbie author.
With you on that one. I've recently put my ebook up on smashwords, and yesterday had the good news that it's been accepted for the premium catalogue - which will lead to distribution via Amazon, Apple, Sony etc.

Personally, I think Smashwords is going places. My advice to anyone who has written an ebook is to get it onto Smashwords pronto, before the place gets too popular, so that your book isn't swamped by (as yet) too many submissions.
A_J_Lath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #58
CyberCrone
CyberCrone began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just to agree and underscore what Winter said. While considering how I wanted to go about selling my ebooks, I read a lot of commentary on whether to use DRM or not, and Winter has laid out the overall consensus very well. I'll just add the comment, look what has happened to music because of DRM. Everybody hates it, and software that removes DRM from videos and music is big business. The music industry shot itself in the foot.
CyberCrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #59
Matthew Malone
Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
I'm fairly annoyed that all these places force authors to use their (the ebook sites') conversion processes, which are normally pretty subpar. I have a professionally formatted ebook that I put quite alot of effort into with InDesign, then also tweaked the formatting on the ePub and MOBI in Oxygen, and I get onto these sites like Smashwords and Feedbooks and they want .doc files and copy paste text. I guess this is in part to cater to people who don't have the knowledge to design a book, and/nor the software, as well as needing to maintain a common formatting style for everything on their sites. But it is frustrating. Are there no sites that allow authors to publish their own formating that follows all the technical guidelines for PDF, ePub, and MOBI? gigapedia is the only site I know of. I'm going to crawl through the ebook Architects and try to find some there.

Last edited by Matthew Malone; 07-08-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Matthew Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #60
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I think LuLu has a WYSIWYG editor, but they force to ePub or PDF. You may be able to squeeze it onto amazon with your formatting, but I'm not too sure about that...

AJ, I didn't know you were here. I just saw your book at SW yesterday
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote