Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Galaxy Player 5 Half-a-year Along

I bought a GP5 late last year to replace my jetBook. It works. It wasn't without its problems or its advantages, however:

Problems:
1) Nothing really replaced the jetBook's breadth of format capability. I now use the Kindle app, fbreader and Cool Reader to do the things the jetBook did. I also have a freebie office suite reader to handle a few odd formats. I also have Mantano, Moon+, nook and Adobe loaded for specialized purposes.
2) The jetBook was stellar in sunlight. The Samsung sucks. Physics, go figure.
3) I waste a lot of reading time on YouTube, facebook, Currents and Google Reader.

Advantages:
1) Fiction scraping from the web is almost one stop with Google Reader and Pocket (ex-Read-It-Later). This reduces my need for specialized format handlers.
2) Like my old PDAs, the GP5 is great for night reading.
3) Android apps for a lot of things that I used PDAs for, but couldn't do on a reader.

All in all, the advantages out weigh the disadvantages. I've got no regrets.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
Drlbpgtjdomt
Drlbpgtjdomt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drlbpgtjdomt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drlbpgtjdomt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drlbpgtjdomt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drlbpgtjdomt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drlbpgtjdomt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drlbpgtjdomt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drlbpgtjdomt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drlbpgtjdomt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drlbpgtjdomt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drlbpgtjdomt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eehfeh
What is the meaning of Kindle app?
Drlbpgtjdomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Shirohane
Enthusiast
Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlbpgtjdomt View Post
It's Amazon's e-reader program on Android. You can read the e-books you bought from Amazon using it.
Shirohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Great post thank you for sharing. Yep a agree with one of your points. I've noticed I don't read as much as I use to with my eInk device because there are more things to do on my tablet. I started using Goodreader once again so I can monitor my progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
Problems:
1) Nothing really replaced the jetBook's breadth of format capability. I now use the Kindle app, fbreader and Cool Reader to do the things the jetBook did. I also have a freebie office suite reader to handle a few odd formats. I also have Mantano, Moon+, nook and Adobe loaded for specialized purposes.
Well coming from eInks device that had poor support but save one format. I've come to rely heavily on calibre. Which allow me to easily convert any format to my format of choice(ePUB). With calibre as a web server I use only one eReader (Moon+) and download my books from withing Moon+(ODPS catalog support) and not have to worry about the multitude of formats one can run into.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlbpgtjdomt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirohane View Post
It's Amazon's e-reader program on Android. You can read the e-books you bought from Amazon using it.
Not to be confused with apps designed for the Kindle Fire tablet (the regular Kindle readers can't run those apps).

Amazon also makes Kindle for PC, Kindle for Mac, and Kindle for many other devices.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Amazon also makes Kindle for PC, Kindle for Mac, and Kindle for many other devices.
I'm still waiting for Kindle for Monkey
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Ok Galaxy Player 5 owners I need your help.

I'm getting one next week from Amazon as well as a 32gb card & case.

I am pretty much a newbie to this, so I have a few questions.

What is the best way to get stuff on the player? How much available space is there? I have a bit over 5gb of music as well as ebooks.

Is there enough room to load my music onto the player? if so I can do that and just load my books onto the card. Or can I load both ebooks & music onto the card and access them that way.

Now I have and use Sony reader software, is there any other reader software that would work well with the player or should I download the mobile version of it to the player.

Does anyone use Kies? How does that work.

Any other helpful tips you can give me I would appreciate.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm still waiting for Kindle for Monkey

Not quite the same....but close.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I have the current version of the 5, not the newest, and love it.
I have pictures, music and MS Office files on it as well as using it as my primary ereader.
When connected to a desk/lap top it is read as a storage device and folder windows open for the internal and external storage...if you use one. I use an external storage card.
I use the copy/paste method to add music, pictures, etc. to the player when connected to my laptop.
You can also use the Samsung Kies system but I find it very dated but usuable. It is good for updating the device.
I use a variety of apps through the Android app store and find it as easy to use as any other.
I use Mantano for me reader...the paid version...and it works great.
I also have used Cool Reader which works fine as well.
I use Calibre...and love it...for managing my book library on the player. Calibre recognizes it when connected and you can add books to either the internal and/or external storage.
Overall I love the player and may buy the new one if I find it better than my current model.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
I have the current version of the 5, not the newest, and love it.
I have pictures, music and MS Office files on it as well as using it as my primary ereader.
When connected to a desk/lap top it is read as a storage device and folder windows open for the internal and external storage...if you use one. I use an external storage card.
I use the copy/paste method to add music, pictures, etc. to the player when connected to my laptop.
You can also use the Samsung Kies system but I find it very dated but usuable. It is good for updating the device.
I use a variety of apps through the Android app store and find it as easy to use as any other.
I use Mantano for me reader...the paid version...and it works great.
I also have used Cool Reader which works fine as well.
I use Calibre...and love it...for managing my book library on the player. Calibre recognizes it when connected and you can add books to either the internal and/or external storage.
Overall I love the player and may buy the new one if I find it better than my current model.
Thank you! A few more questions if you don't mind.

Do I have to put the reading/music apps as well as my books/music on the sd card or do I just put my books/music on the card and when I go to get one the app on the player will find it automatically on the card.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this newbie to android questions.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I installed the Mantano ereader app and use the app for selecting and reading my books.
I only have a few music files on the player and used the old copy/paste method to put the song on the player into the music folder and use the music app...might have come preinstalled on the player but I don't remember...to play music. You can also use the Kies program to manage music, photos and podcasts...similar to itunes but seems very crude compared to itunes.
I use Gallery to view pictures...another preinstalled app I believe.

You decide where to put the music, etc...either on the internal storage or external.

By the way, my hometown is Fall River and I lived in Brockton for some time before moving to NY.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
cfrizz
Wizard

Cool, thanks a million Kai!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I bought a GP5 late last year to replace my jetBook. It works. It wasn't without its problems or its advantages, however:
---
Regards,
Jack Tingle

"It works. It wasn't without its problems or its advantages, however:
---

Sounds like all of my wives and a few of the close calls.

If a Galaxy "lite" model doesn't come along soon, I will get a Galaxy Player 5 inches or so.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
cfrizz
Wizard

I'm loving mine. I can read on it easily. I downloaded Aldiko as my reader, but I'm not sure I will keep it. I got a 32gb card and have discovered that if all my books are on the card then everytime I turn the Galaxy back on I lose my place in the book since they aren't on the machine. Is there anyway to correct this?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
Kai Winters
Lover of Books

Hi cfrizz,
I've no advice on your problem with Aldiko but you may want to try Mantano as well.
I found Aldiko to create double versions of books on my player whether I stored them on the internal or external storage. It is a known problem, for some time, and they have done nothing to correct it.
I've used Mantano, both free and now paid version, and find it much better. It is not perfect. It has a problem with a white screen/freeze problem. It does keep the page you left off but you have to clear the app from memory and it works fine.

I've also used Cool Reader and find it not bad but not as well designed as Mantano.
I wish Aldiko would clear up its' problems because it was my favorite reader app for a long time.