Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Thumbs up PRS 600 firmware in a PRS 700: done?

Hi guys, what's up?
I was browsing the russian forum and I seem to have stumbled on something quite interesting. There's this guy who seems to have been somewhat succesful at using the PRS600 firmware on a PRS700 unit. The link is here.

As the post says, he managed to get the 700 working as a 600 (with handwriting and all of that) with minor bugs. It's pretty exciting.
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Very interesting! But despite it being translated from Russian, for me it still needs to be translated into CLC (computer lingo challenged).
I just hopes that means a firmware update for the Sony 700 is eminent and soon!

I do admire those who are fearless when it comes to taking apart their device and playing around with the inner workings! I'm not so brave!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Yeah, but to make a software flasher, they need to get dump of 700 nand flash...
Here is the link to mentioned forum page: http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It still is an improvement... there hasn't been any changes in the 700 scene since it's release.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
So can somebody here dump this nand flash and send the dump to Russian guys?
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
el.astrologo
Groupie

It would be great if someone here could/would do that.

I think I chose the wrong title for this thread, I should have titled it something like "Adding features to PRS700: Work in progress" or "Adding features to PRS700: Help needed" to get more attention from the community. Should one of the mods stumble upon this thread I ask of them to please change the title accordingly.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
The "Russian guys" don't really need the dump. They (Comvel people) want the 700 dump so they could restore the reader's flash if the flasher messes it up. I guess, they don't want to restore it to 600, but want to be able to restore it to 700. Don't know why, if the 600 firmware really does work on 700 so well.

For some reason their nand programmer cannot read the flash that's on the 700, but it can read the one installed on the 600, and that is why they burned the 700 with the 600's image.

It is not clear, how to reburn the entire flash without taking the flash off the reader's main board and putting it into the flash burner. That's exactly what the Comvel's guys did. I don't see how this drastic "hacking method" can be the way to go for regular users.

So, for the time being I wouldn't be too hopeful about the prospects of turning the 700 into 600.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
el.astrologo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
The "Russian guys" don't really need the dump. They (Comvel people) want the 700 dump so they could restore the reader's flash if the flasher messes it up. I guess, they don't want to restore it to 600, but want to be able to restore it to 700. Don't know why, if the 600 firmware really does work on 700 so well.
I think that's because the 600 one flips the screen vertically and they don't want to "settle" for an inverted screen in case things go bad.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el.astrologo View Post
I think that's because the 600 one flips the screen vertically and they don't want to "settle" for an inverted screen in case things go bad.
Well, if you kept reading the thread, you would have known that the "inversion" problem had a rather easy solution to it...
Old 10-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
el.astrologo
Groupie

I did read the whole thread though and had failed to understand the "Image after loading capsized in the correct orientation" bit, probably because I am not a native english speaker which greatly increases the chances of misinterpreting a machine translation from russian to english :P

I noticed the pics. Are you also boroda?
Old 10-31-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by el.astrologo View Post
I noticed the pics. Are you also boroda?
Yes, we are the same person.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
anyone
Enthusiast
anyone began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any news on this topic?
anyone is offline   Reply With Quote