Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
New features in the editor

Thank you Kovid, for this week's release bringing auto-completion of filename references!

And keep tuned, people, because I see work being done for snippets!
I believe this is the last feature unmatched on the Sigil<--->calibre comparison.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Yes, this is a usefull feature.

For the rest, well - nearly. The last thing I am missing is sigil's reporting tool

Last edited by Divingduck; 01-02-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Oh, okay. Second-to-last.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
Yes, this is a usefull feature.

For the rest, well - nearly. The last thing I am missing is sigil's reporting tool
+1 for the reports in Sigil.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Oh, okay. Second-to-last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You're welcome
Yes .

Hope, you all had a good start in 2015.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just had a look at the reports feature in Sigil, and to me at least, nothing really useful jumped out. Perhaps word count, other than that, everything is taken care of by the editor's Check Book and Remove unused CSS tools, in a much more thorough fashion. For instance, Sigil has reports about CSS classes, whereas calibre's unused CSS tool can detect and remove all types of unused CSS, not just classes.

What exactly do you want to see in reports?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I just had a look at the reports feature in Sigil, and to me at least, nothing really useful jumped out. Perhaps word count, other than that, everything is taken care of by the editor's Check Book and Remove unused CSS tools, in a much more thorough fashion. For instance, Sigil has reports about CSS classes, whereas calibre's unused CSS tool can detect and remove all types of unused CSS, not just classes.

What exactly do you want to see in reports?
There is lots there that does not leap out, but can be very useful without a lot of fussing with S&R.
The sortable, Summary, all in one place is fantastic style troubleshooting (the code is valid, but some pages have look issues)

Hidden is the fact that report line items are ACTIVE jumps to their target

Where used in as opposed to unused CSS items
There is a report that list the files that use each selector. by which CSS 1 stinkin' use and 'removed unused' is blocked.

The Image Files section. Count of use (think cleaning up repeated fleurons)

The 2 sections the 'I' rarely use (personal use workflow) are Links and Count Characters. That does not say, that that section is not a valid summary
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #9
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also like the summary nature of the reports in Sigil. The one I use most is Style Classes in HTML Files. If I'm fixing a series of books by the same publisher, often the CSS is a standard house stylesheet. But unused classes clutter it up. So I fix the first book and remove the unused classes, then copy that stylesheet to the next book, run Sigil's reports, and see which classes are in the HTML but not in the pared-down stylesheet. I can then go to the (separately saved) CSS file that contains ALL of the classes and copy the missing classes back into the stylesheet. I know this sounds convoluted (why don't I just leave all the unused classes in the stylesheet until I'm finished?) but a lot of my fixing involves looking for all instances of "text-indent: [^0]" or "margin-left: [^0]" and I don't want to look at each one individually when there are 187 of them. Plus, copying the entire stylesheet (minus unused classes) saves me from copying the altered classes one by one to the next book. I can do it with Calibre's editor too, but it's just easier when I can see them all in a list together.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@icallaci: That sounds rather fragile. What happens if the stylesheets use some non-class based selectors? And perhaps I'm not understanding your use case, but why not simply run remove unused css in each new book? Or is it that you not only want to remove unused css but also want your modifications to copy over from the previous book? In which case, I have to ask again, what about non-class based selectors?

@theducks: Sigil, at least, as far as I can see, only lists CSS classes, not arbitrary selectors, so unless you are looking at the result of a calibre conversion (and calibre automatically removes unused css anyway) I dont see how you could be using the Sigil report to debug CSS issues.

So it seems apart from word counts, it would be useful to have two additional reports, a list of CSS selectors usage (as opposed to just classes) and image usage?
Old 01-19-2015, 02:38 AM   #11
Bertrand
Zealot
Bertrand began at the beginning.

Device: None
About images

Unused images are detected when running Check book, this is fine.
For the other images, it could be useful to know in which html file(s) an image is used.

I recently created an epub in which I imported a bunch of images (about 100) and I was using a lot the "Browse images" menu (don't know the exact name in english). In this panel, I wish I could see something, maybe a tooltip or whatever, telling me "image0023.jpg is in file 250.xhtml" (and, why not, maybe a quick way to open the file :-)

I don't know if it's possible, it could be complicated for repeated decorative images.
Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #12
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
One report -- I guess you could call it a report -- that I think would be useful would be an interactive map of the ebook that laid out in various orders the contents of the files and allowed the user to take action on one or more pieces and get 'the big picture'

chapter_01.html (repeat for each file)
Tags used: <p>, <h1>, ...
Images used: img001.jpg, img002.jpg, ...
Classes used: chap, chap1, .....
IDs used: FILEPOS0001, FILEPOS002, ...

Images
img0001.jpg: front.html, chap2.html, ...
img0002.jpg:
img0003.jpg: chap2.html, chap2.html, chap31.html, foot.html

ID
#top used (12): front.html, chap12.html, ...
#top_1 used (0):
#filepos0011 used (3): front.html, chap2.html, ...

Links
Table01
Chap4.html, Chap7.html, ....

Classes

Fonts

Other Files (not sure about this one )

Clicking the Class 'chap1' takes you to the style sheet for that class appropriate to that file.

Clicking the second Chap2 in image3 takes you to that position in chap2.html, while clicking the image3 link opens image2.jpg

Left click a link takes opens the file and/or takes you to the right position, BUT a right click brings up a context menu to [Rename], [[Replace], [Delete], [Delete All]...

So since #top_1 is not used I could right click and delete it
Same for image2

#filepos0011 is supposed to be #endnote11 so I could do a [Replace All] right from the 'map'

Last edited by phossler; 01-19-2015 at 09:58 AM. Reason: mixed up left and right
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #13
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
@icallaci: That sounds rather fragile. What happens if the stylesheets use some non-class based selectors? And perhaps I'm not understanding your use case, but why not simply run remove unused css in each new book? Or is it that you not only want to remove unused css but also want your modifications to copy over from the previous book? In which case, I have to ask again, what about non-class based selectors?
It probably is fragile, but it usually works (most of my reading is fiction and the CSS is fairly simple). And, you're correct, I do want my CSS mods to copy over from the previous book without needing to copy and paste 50 classes one by one. (Also, when removing unused classes, Sigil leaves the non-class based selectors alone, so they get copied too.) The last thing I do when modifying a book is to scroll through each file to see if everything looks ok, so if a non-class based selector is missing, I usually catch it at that point and put it back in. I use this process only when I have multiple books by one particularly notorious publisher that uses several hundred classes in every CSS. Each class is only very slightly different; for instance, "font-size: 0.913em" vs "font-size: 0.899em" or "text-indent: 11px" vs "text-indent: 10px" which absolutely drives me crazy. Anyway, it just helps to see everything in one place when I'm in this particular phase of fixing things. Thanks.

Last edited by icallaci; 01-19-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

@theducks: Sigil, at least, as far as I can see, only lists CSS classes, not arbitrary selectors, so unless you are looking at the result of a calibre conversion (and calibre automatically removes unused css anyway) I dont see how you could be using the Sigil report to debug CSS issues.

So it seems apart from word counts, it would be useful to have two additional reports, a list of CSS selectors usage (as opposed to just classes) and image usage?
Kovid: My 'Debug' is closer to a reverse engineer (and central clean) tool.
More in line with post 12, just not that format order

I just find the report a faster way, not the only way
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:17 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm, playing some more with Sigil's report feature, it seems to be rather buggy. For example, it fails to detect images used in CSS files or <style> tags via url(). I didn't bother to try style attributes, but I'm pretty sure they wont be detected either.

Given it's other limitations, I am really surprised all of you seem to be using it productively, but, since you are, I guess I will look into implementing it in calibre (properly).