Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
kingtermite
KingTermite
kingtermite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Calibre keeps getting hung...

So I have this really big repository of Ebooks - though I've never (until installing Calibre the other day) used a program to manage.

After learning (the hard way) how not to add books (I tried to manually copy the 10Gb worth of books into the Calibre library folder and then add from there).....

I now cleaned up the repository fairly well and am trying to add books the correct way now. I started this morning and it went for about 4 hours before I noticed it had been stuck on the same book for an hour. Hung apparently.

I killed it and later started it up again. I figured it would scan the repository (directory) and start adding again (skipping what it didn't do last time). It was going along very well (faster than this morning) for about 2 hours or so, and now it seems hung again. This time, though, instead of being hung on one book, it seems to go back and forth between two different books every 4 or 5 minutes.

Any ideas? Calibre has hung on me a lot the last few days trying to play with this big repository. Can it not reliably handle such a large repository of Ebooks (10Gb - few thousand I think)?

Setup:
Windows XP (SP3)
Latest version of Calibre ([0.8.40]just updated yesterday I believe)
kingtermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Adding lots of books at once is a little unstable. Either add them in smaller batches, or use the command line calibredb command to add them

calibredb add -h
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
kingtermite
KingTermite
kingtermite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK. Thanks Kovidgoyal. I'll try that.
kingtermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If you are using windows you could use search from the top folder in your repository to find all *.epub/*.PDF etc. Then select all (or a portion) and drag and drop.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, calibre, hung