Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #136
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I am somewhat embarrassed to say I've not read Walden... I must.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #137
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
.....The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
..........— Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), American libertarian writer. Walden (1854).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I am somewhat embarrassed to say I've not read Walden... I must.
I am sad to say that quote sometimes defines my life - sometimes I wish I hadn't read Walden. ;-)

Troy

Last edited by troymc; 06-23-2010 at 12:30 PM.
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #138
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
I am sad to say that quote sometimes defines my life - sometimes I wish I hadn't read Walden. ;-)

Troy
Downloaded from Feedbooks and in my e-library.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #139
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Downloaded from Feedbooks and in my e-library.

Tedious in places - but overall an interesting read - IMHO.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #140
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You know - every time I see the title of this thread, my brain insists on changing the end to "profound lies"
Freudian slip, eh?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #141
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
You know - every time I see the title of this thread, my brain insists on changing the end to "profound lies"
Freudian slip, eh?
Which brings to mind:

Lies, Damed Lies and Statistics!
- (possibly) Benjamin Disraeli - Popularized by Mark Twain
Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #142
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quotes from Dorothy Dunnett's The Lymond Chronicles

From The Disorderly Knights, Francis Crawford, visiting Kate Sommerville unexpectedly at Flaw Valleys while she is bottling raspberries and has stains on her gown:

“Kate, my dear? Haven’t your raspberries been marvellous this year? Come and be licked; I haven’t dined yet.”

And at the end of that same scene, in Kate’s head in response to the exhausted Lymond’s request for somewhere to sleep:

“My dear, my dear, I would give you my soul in a blackberry pie; and a knife to cut it with.”

Opening lines to a couple of Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles books:

“On the day that his grannie was killed by the English, Sir William Scott the Younger of Buccleuch was at Melrose Abbey, marrying his aunt.” (From Disorderly Knights)

Not to every young girl is it given to enter the harem of the Sultan of Turkey and return to her homeland a virgin.” (From Ringed Castle)

From Queens’ Play, this captures the intended idea perfectly:

“Quarrelling with the Prince of Barrow was like fighting a curtain.”

Last edited by wayspooled; 06-23-2010 at 11:16 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #143
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've used this quote before in MobileRead Forums, but have never posted it to this thread. It explains so much about U.S. politics and, I suspect, folks in other countries may be able to relate as well.

....."Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain't that a big enough majority in any town?"
..........— Said by the "king" to the "duke" in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1884), by Mark Twain [Samuel Langhorne Clemens (1835 – 1910)], Chapter XXVI.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-24-2010 at 08:18 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #144
kennyc

Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #145
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Wonderful mental image from this one!
Very Zen-like (substitute water for curtain).
Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #146
kennyc

What, Chicken-Zen? Wow! Now there's an idea....Hmmm.....
Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #147
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Quotes from Dorothy Dunnett's The Lymond Chronicles

From Queens’ Play, this captures the intended idea perfectly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Wonderful mental image from this one!
Very Zen-like (substitute water for curtain).
That was good.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #148
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

.....Famously, she [Ellen DeGeneres] hosted the Emmy Awards ceremony several months after the 9/11 attacks and told the enthusiastic audience:
........"We’re told to go on living our lives as usual, because to do otherwise is to let the terrorists win, and really, what would upset the Taliban more than a gay woman wearing a suit in front of a room full of Jews?"
..........— Michael Kantor and Laurence. Make 'Em Laugh: The Funny Business of America (2008), based on the PBS series of the same name.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-25-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #149
koffkoff
crane rider
koffkoff doesn't litterkoffkoff doesn't litter

Device: Nook Wi-Fi
"For the moment, the jazz is playing; there is no melody, just notes, a myriad of tiny tremors. The notes know no rest, an inflexible order gives birth to them then destroys them, without ever leaving them the chance to recuperate and exist for themselves.... I would like to hold them back, but I know that, if I succeeded in stopping one, there would only remain in my hand a corrupt and languishing sound. I must accept their death; I must even want that death: I know of few more bitter or intense impressions."

- Jean-Paul Sartre (Nausea, 1938)
koffkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #150
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffkoff View Post
"For the moment, the jazz is playing; there is no melody, just notes, a myriad of tiny tremors. The notes know no rest, an inflexible order gives birth to them then destroys them, without ever leaving them the chance to recuperate and exist for themselves.... I would like to hold them back, but I know that, if I succeeded in stopping one, there would only remain in my hand a corrupt and languishing sound. I must accept their death; I must even want that death: I know of few more bitter or intense impressions."

- Jean-Paul Sartre (Nausea, 1938)
Vivid! I've never read Sartre - but if the writing is this grand I may have to! Which English translation is this taken from koffkoff?

[Just said your handle out loud - ] [Welcome to MR]